painting horse on the rear bumper of 488 speder | FerrariChat

painting horse on the rear bumper of 488 speder

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Michaelw488, Jul 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Does the horse on the rear bumper of a 488 spider come right off or does the bumper have to be removed?

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The bumper cover must be removed.

3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sounds like a PITA.

4. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Thanks! Is it a big job to remove bumper cover? My personal opinion I don’t like chrome, I don’t think the spider should have any chrome,so I want to remove the letters and paint the horse black that’s why am asking.

5. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I would guess that with great care, it would take about 4 hours to remove and replace the bumper cover. Others that have done this should chime in.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Just Plasti - dip it....no big deal.

tekaefixe and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'll be pulling the bumper on my 488 soon here (and will be uploading a video to YouTube). If you're not in a rush, I can let you know how it goes.

Ray

8. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    I did this and it turned out ok, not perfect but nice enough to stay. The challenge that I faced is that there is really no space between the horse emblem and the panel. As a result, it was very difficult to get a clean cut when peeling the plastic. I applied and removed multiple times trying to find the best approach. Applying a thin layer, remove the plastic around the emblem, apply another thin layer and remove the plastic around the emblem seem to work best. I started by applying a thicker layer but when I tried to peel away the plastic around the emblem it would not cut and take the plastic on the emblem trashing the whole thing.

Before doing this on the Ferrari I tested it on my daily driver. That one had the “normal”
    emblems which have a gap between the panel and the emblem to cover. In this case, it was very easy to get a clean cut on the letters and it looked Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login great. Hopefully the 488 will be an easier installation than the Speciale was. Below are a picture of the work in progress and the final product. I did the horse and the Ferrari emblems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baitschev and Shadowfax like this.
  9. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    looks good when done, my detailer took the bumper off, took him 1 hour off, one hour on and many hours for the stripe and full ppf Image Unavailable, Please Login

jyupitt and Shadowfax like this.
  10. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Thx a lot for all info, much appreciated looks great,I have a few upgrades(as I would call them) I have planned, the black horse on rear bumper is one of them for sure!