458 Italia - 47K Miles -What do I need to Look For?? | FerrariChat

458 Italia - 47K Miles -What do I need to Look For??

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by caymangone, Jul 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I currently have a F430 but was thinking of stepping up to a 458 Italia. A 2011 popped up for sale nearby for $130K. Hi mileage though (47K). Claims to have service records and recent 12K worth of work done to it. I'm familiar enough with the 430's and what to look for on those but not so much on the 458's. Unfortunately I wasn't real serious until this one came along so I haven't had the chance to research it out on this forum soooo, hoping someone can save me a little time and give me some watchouts on these!

2. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    47k miles on an 8-year-old car is not a lot, that's less than 6k miles a year.
    I would prefer to buy this car over a car with 2000 miles that have not been driven almost at all.
    you will have fewer problems with this car plus you get to pay way less.
    a car that has been driven and maintained, is a good car.
    they don't build cars like this to last 100k miles, if you take care of them they last forever.

go for it
    just do a good PPI and pull the trigger

3. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree with the PPI but might be a trick though considering its in Little Rock Arkansas. I don't know of any nearby Ferrari mechanics in that area.

'Trust' likes this.
  4. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    wow ! Little Rock AK, I have a friend that used to live there. I could never imagine people will have Ferraris there.

In any case, buying a used Ferrari without doing a PPI is never a Good Idea. so if it was up to me and couldnt inspect the car, Ill move on and search another one even if it means I pay a bit more.

timjen88 likes this.
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’d strongly prefer one with 2k miles and records.

Viperjoe likes this.
  6. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Why do you say that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Because of fear mongering, they think a car will die at 10,000 miles.

obbob likes this.
  8. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I'd look for one with lower mileage on it. ;)
    Non easy to sell a 458 with a lot of miles on it ;)

Viperjoe likes this.
  9. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    But I think OPs point is the mileage vs cost to purchase. I have one of my collectibles that has 140,000 miles on it. Recent compression test is even in all cylinders and as per spec. Drives very nicely.
    If someone wants to get into a 458 that has higher mileage AND it has FSH AND all supporting docs it could be great buying.

PPI it and DRIVE it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11, elt360 and legendd like this.
  10. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Great price if it checks out. 458 is well built with many that go over 100k. People buy tons of cars with higher miles without issue. You're saving money and in the end don't care if you out more miles on it. Get ppi done.

MalibuGuy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Probably it is only a mental problem of mine :)

12. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    This!!!

So liberating to have a car like this and not care about mileage
    You will enjoy the car 10 times more

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MalibuGuy likes this.
  13. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    That's true!

14. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    buy it, drive it and enjoy it.. thats what Ferrari ownership is about.. ALL SMILES... Good luck

15. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    My only thing is if you look a bit its not that much more to get a car with half, 1/4 the miles. So id make sure your not saving just 10k or something to be in a car that is half the miles.

Zcobra1 likes this.
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    This.

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My 2 cents is if you can't find someone local, do you have a trusted Ferrari mechanic you could send to inspect the car? It might cost you a few dollars, but probably well worth it to know what you might be getting into. Aside from the obvious worries I would want to make sure the DCT is looking good - but Im not sure how you can tell- perhaps with their computer? And I would be concerned about wear items like bushings. I don't know about on the 458, but on the 430, I had a bushing wear out and the dealer said the only way to buy that bushing through official channels at least was to buy more of the suspension- I forget now if it was the whole control arm or something like that. The bottom line is this could be a great opportunity for you, but definitely have it looked at and Id keep some money in reserve.

18. Gonzales25

Gonzales25 Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    A thorough PPI is great to get but doesn't always show everything. I bought a 2012 that had 25,000 miles I had a PPI done and I still found things that didn't work for example the CD player doesn't recognize any disc's and the RPM light on the steering wheel doesn't work....
    The car I bought is in excellent shape and mechanically sound but it would have been nice to know some of the little things that didn't work before I bought it and really didn't even think about until I tried to use them.

I either have to spend mucho $$ to diagnose and fix the problems or I just have to live with them..... Still thinking how important they are to me.

Ultimately I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Good luck with your decision....

19. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the suggestions and comments guys. I do have a tech up near KC that I could probably sway into going down with me to check it out. I would prefer paying a little more for less miles though so I may just keep looking. For those of you that moved from the 430 to the 458, any regrets?

20. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    A PPI and get maintenance records back to the day it was first delivered to its first owner. If negociating with official Ferrari dealer, negociate a warranty extention if possible.

And that's it.

Other than that, you're getting one of the best Ferraris of all time at a super discount price, because you don't worry (and quite rightly so, because you shouldn't!) about mileage. Smart enthusiast, smart move and smart money, imho. Go for it!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  21. Marcus01

Marcus01 Rookie

Jun 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    The perfect Ferrari is one you don't worry about the mileage at all, in any way shape or form.

Get it inspected, get it bought and drive the wheels off it!

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  22. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    The DCT alone is worth it to go from 430 to 458 unless the 430 is manual. the 458 is a big jump.

to the other comment. if you can find a 458 for 1/2 the mills of 47K = 23K miles for <150K that's a great deal too, I just don't know if there are many out there for that price. price depends a lot on location as well. $130K asking for a 47K mile 458 is a good deal me thinks.

23. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

I made the move from a 08 430F1 to a 2015 458 spider - regrets none. The 458 feels a throughly modern car, you keep the best bits, the noise (mine has the sports silencers) and loose the worry.

430 ownership can be sometimes a little anxious, clutch life, backing up, traffic, headers etc, the car sometimes feeling a little fragile and at times there is a certain charm to those qualities. But especially in traffic to loose the worry and just enjoy the best parts of Ferrari ownership is quite liberating.
    Do I miss my 430 yes sometimes I do, full throttle up shifts felt more brutal and dramatic and at very low speeds the noice was more guttural but aside from that the 458 feels to be in a completely different place, faster more balanced and the noise and sound at 9000rpm - I leave you to find out.

Do it - you won’t regret it, I haven’t.

14RE458 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  24. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Get a PPI.

Also, do keep in mind extra wear on the interior if it's leather. Ferrari leather is very supply and delicate, which unfortunately means it wears faster than other manufacturer's.