Advice? San Antonio - Corpus Christi - Frederickburg. | FerrariChat

Advice? San Antonio - Corpus Christi - Frederickburg.

Discussion in 'Texas' started by SpyderGT, Jul 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My wife and I are taking a short road trip, that will involve driving from San Antonio to Corpus Christi then to Fredericksburg. Any advice as to routes? Right now, for San Antonio to Corpus Christi, I'm thinking taking 181 through Aransas Pass, Mustang Island and then into Corpus Christi. We only have two nights in Corpus Christi, after which we'll be heading to Fredericksburg for two nights before we go to Austin and fly home.

I know it's a whirlwind tour but I know the expertise here will have sme great advice to help make the most of our time.

Thanks
    Jon
    Vancouver, BC

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's a lot of driving. Maybe someone from SA can chime in for the corpus part of the trip.

On the trip back from CC to Fredericksburg, get to 281 north, on the north side of SA. Continue north on 281 - You'll see an exit for 290 east Austin, ignore it, keep going for about 8 miles or so on 281 until you get to Johnson City. Left turn there and follow 290 into Fredericksburg.
    Take 290 east back to Austin (taking that 290 east exit off of 281 to Austin that you ignored on the way north).

3. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks Bob. I should have been more clear on my plans. We will be driving from San Antonio to Corpus Christi over the course of a day. We plan to have a couple of nights in CC before taking a full day to drive from CC to Fredericksburg: thinking going via Hondo - Bandera - Medina - Kerrville. Then a couple of nights in Fredericksburg before taking most of a day to drive to Austin for an early evening flight home., Does this sound do-able? My wife and I typically don't like driving more than about 250 miles a day (too many 500-600 a day. Jon

4. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    If you have time, when you get to Medina, turn left onto RR337, follow this to the town of Camp Wood. Then take TX55 to Barksdale and pick up RR335 to TX41, then take TX41 towards Interstate 10 and then onto Fredericksburg. Ranch Road 337 and Ranch Road 335 are two of the Three Twisted Sister roads. Considered the best driving roads in Texas, but keep expectations low since you are from BC. In Fredericksburg, there are wineries in the area, music in Luckenbach (just outside of Fredericksburg, and the Museum of the War in the Pacific.

Jakuzzi and SAFE4NOW like this.
  5. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks "jkddad". Looking at google maps and street views, I expect some nice driving roads and scenery in the Hill Country. Will be driving a rental car, whatever generic rental I happen to get, so I won't get the full driving experience that might be had. We're definitely looking to catching some music and sampling the regional wines. Texas generally and the central Texas particularly have been on my travel bucket list for some time. Jon

6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    If time permits , look up Alamo Springs Café for a nice Texas Burger and roasted garlic!

You are going to have a great time, lots of good suggestions above!

S

SpyderGT likes this.
  7. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru

Jon and Bob,

I will modify this just a bit-

North on 281 past San Antonio until you come to Blanco, Texas, then left on FM 1623 along the Blanco River. This is great road with a view, just watch out for deer and other wildlife. In about 15 miles you will come along the town of Albert, Texas that has nothing but a Bar and Dancehall. Please note it is only open Wends-Sunday. It might be the best bar in Texas... Once complete at Albert, hop back on FM 1623 in the same direct and in 5 miles you will reach Stonewall, Texas. Now go left on HWY 290 and in 15 min you will be in Fredricksburg. Happy motoring!

Let me know if you have any questions/comments.

Cheers, Mat

SpyderGT likes this.
  8. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ha! Now knowing that you plan to do a little hill country sightseeing and not just getting from point A-B, all the above suggestions are great. When going thru Medina, you MUST stop at the The Love Creek Apple store. The best apple pie anywhere... and a "regular" stop for ferrari and porsche weekend tours.
    http://www.lovecreekorchards.com/apple-store/

SpyderGT likes this.
  9. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks Steve, Mat and Russell,

I also plan to take most of a day driving from Austin to San Antonio via Henly, Blanco, Wimberly and San Marcos - the "Devils Backbone"(?). I've done a lot of driving in Europe, the British Isles, Australia and the eastern, west-coast and mid-south US. I'm expecting my central Texas road trip to be as much fun and interest as any of those. My time for this trip is limited to about 8 days and, necessarily, I have had to forgo the panhandle and the west. My dad and an uncle (both Canadian army artillerymen) were stationed in Fort Bliss in the late 40's and late 50's respectively. Both had fond memories of Texas and Texans. Although, that was 60 - 70 years ago, it influenced my interest. I anticipate this trip will not be my only road trip in Texas.

Cheers
    Jon

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Is this "Apple Pie" the same as in Justified?

11. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Devil's backbone is not as fun as it was years ago, but the views are still good. Years ago, it was a narrow and dangerous road, now the shoulder of the road could almost be another lane. You will be passing a town called New Braunfels. Lots of german heritage still around in the town, and it is home to a water park called Schliterbahn. At one time, the Travel Channel called it the best and largest water park in the world (don't know if that is still true.) The unique feature of this park, is that they make use of the spring fed waters of the Comal River. There are the typical tourist restaurants like 'The Oasis' in Austin, and the 'Grist Mill' in New Braunfels, both fun places, but not necessarily 3 star restaurants. Next to the Grist Mill, is Gruene Hall, the oldest dance hall in Texas. A fun tourist restaurant in San Antonio is 'Mi Tierra Cafe y Panaderia'. Also, the SA river walk is always a fun place.

Have a fun and safe trip.

SpyderGT likes this.