Big changes in IMSA for 2019 | FerrariChat

Big changes in IMSA for 2019

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RWatters, Aug 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    For 2019 DPI and LMP2 will be two different classes. It sounds like DPI will be uncorked a bit and LMP2 is switching to Pro Am with no car BOP. In GTD there will be a bigger focus on the amateur drivers and IMSA will be placing a higher focus on evaluating amateur driver classification. GTLM remains the same.

Part of me thinks this is a good call, but part of me also thinks there really haven't been any more companies to express interest in running DPI and this'll likely drop interest in the LMP2 category. I'm hoping it'll draw in more GTD participants.

IMSA will also be celebrating their 50th anniversary at the Rolex 24 (I believe).

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    LMP2 is the new LMPC

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Please tell me this doesn't mean a spec series. I loathe spec racing.

Turbopanzer likes this.
  4. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    You can use a couple of different chassis in LMP2 but the motor is the same spec motor I believe.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    all this really does is guarantee GM and/or Honda overall wins in every race.

you might get a few more guys like John Pew interested in P2, but I doubt it will make a big difference.

it will end up being like the end of ALMS- P1 and P2 in separate classes which 5 cars between them :p

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    How do these rules compare with those of the ACO? That was the basis for the Petit Le Mans and the ALMS in the first place. I think that outside of DPI (which is really descended from Grand Am), the IMSA categories should be the same as their ACO equivalents.

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

P2 in IMSA is the same as P2 for ACO
    GTLM is the same as GTE Pro for ACO

IMSA has GTD as their pro am GT class but it is based on GT3 cars instead of GTE cars as they are for ACO.

DPi is the all pro prototype class in IMSA, closest parallel in ACO is LMP1.

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

but...but...IMSA will keep giving Mazda more boost till they finally win. Either that or they will just catch on fire quicker.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I mean it is spec, but with 4 options. you can't really develop them at all. All the P2 cars in IMSA are the Oreca except for AFS/PR1 that are running the Ligier.

10. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I'm hoping that they uncork the DPIs a lot and make them substantially faster at a large cost savings over LMP1. I'm not talking LMP1 speed as we've seen the budgets required for that. Seconds per lap faster than LMP2. That may bring some interest in?

To me this smells heavily of DPI teams with a lot of money doing a lot of complaining now that they aren't blowing LMP2 cars away. I hope it's not the case but recognize it likely is.

Manda racing and rdefabri like this.
  11. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I really thought with Joest steering the ship they'd speed up but the only improvement seems to be that they finish races now instead of blowing up. I wonder if it's Mazda not giving enough money or if the engine is just a turd? Or both?

12. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It seems like every race Mazda has some sort of issue. They have had the pace this year, but always mistakes. I believe there were issues with the wheel gun at Road America. I really want to see them get it together.

But I also wonder about the future of the program. With them pulling their road to Indy program, and no longer being the sponsor of Laguna Seca, will we see further pull back from them?

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    they will have to create separation between DPi and P2, so hopefully it means much faster DPi cars.

bingo. I'm sure GM/WTR and Penske/Honda aren't happy to actually be losing races to spec P2 teams. it also pees in IMSA's "manufacturer based class" pool.

14. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

I think both sides were complaining. IMSA promised that P2 would be competitive with DPi. They weren't. They kept pegging the DPis's back to get them closer to the point where the DPi manufacturers asked what they hell they were spending money on.

I hope IMSA finds a way to force the DPi manufacturers to make cars available to customer teams that want to run them.

ForzaV12 likes this.
  15. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

All they have to do is undo all the BoPing that has gone on for the past 2 yrs and they will be plenty fast.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  16. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I believe they pulled back the Indy support to focus on sportscar racing so hopefully it just means more money being put towards it. Frankly I don't know why Mazda spends money on DPI to begin with but I'm glad that they do.

Devilsolsi likes this.
  17. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    A mid-engined Corvette was spotted racing around Road America with what sounded like a flat-plane V8 powering it.

Pictures here: https://jalopnik.com/mid-engine-corvette-c8-r-the-best-look-yet-1828229738

It's pretty damn loud which makes me wonder if it's N/A or turbo. In this day and age of GT racing I would think it's turbo. Big question is if it'll be a 2019 car or not?

ForzaV12 likes this.
  18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Good looking shots there. It looked like an NSX to me in the first photo, but later on it definitely has its own design. I like it.

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    7 liter V8s are on borrowed time, smart for Corvette to launch a smaller V8 or V6 turbo in a racing program and have it trickle down to the road cars.

plus it will put them on more even playing ground with the Ford GT ;)

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I thought it was a flat plane crank V8 but it would seem to make more sense if it were a Turbo as they already have the engines on hand. Hard tell from a sound bite for sure. I hate the sound of the new turbo's on the track. The 488 sounds like crap as does the Ford GT. The Porsche still sounds great and the old 458's sounded best of all. I think it would be cool if GM did do a flat plane crank V8 in the Corvette.

22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    By the way, here is the Ford GTLM winner and sister car from last weekend at the Road America IMSA race. I suspect they had the Corvette test car on the trailer all weekend.

Also the GTLM Porsche and a few others.

TCR is still a joke with no competition unless you drive an Audi.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I am curious to see if anyone actually shows up to run in P2 next year.

JDC is moving to a DPi, united doesn't think it is worth it if they can't fight for an overall win. That just leaves Core, Performance Tech and AFS/PR1. Basically P2 gets participation trophies.

24. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Isn't that the case in WEC as well? They have teams showing up to run after all.

I want to go to Daytona again for the 24 next year so I'm hoping a ton at least show up for it. lol

25. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I am sure we will get a couple that come over for the NAEC rounds. But this year United had 2 cars at Daytona and the budget to do it again next year. Their decision was completely based off of the splitting of the class. JDC moving up to dpi means 4 less P2s for next year.

I am also curious to see what happens with GTD next year. If IMSA is going to be enforcing the Am side, the Lexus and Acura teams may have some issues. Rumors of Aston Martin coming will help. Would love to see them in GTLM. I believe the last year for the Ford GT program is next year and Risi seems to be completely done as well.

With all that said, I truly believe that IMSA has the best sports car series in the world right now. Hopefully more teams come to play next year.