F430 Hit! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 Hit!

Discussion in '360/430' started by sakodik, Jul 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Loss of use alone will make this a total if you want to go that way. this is a 4-6 month repair. (with carrier involvement) You will have some suspension damage and possibly transmission has been side loaded.

A rental Ferrari will be at least $700 a day

2. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    They will not provide a rental Ferrari but should be a decent rental. Dimished value varies by state but get a professional involved who does this for a living and be prepared to negotiate with the insurance over this issue. Either way it is a major hassle and rarely a pleasant journey.
    That being said, you were not hurt it it will eventually get sorted.

3. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It depends on the state. In NJ for example, the insurance law does not require the insurance co to provide a like for like rental, or a rental of equal "status".

4. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    If you have been hit and its not your fault, loss of use, (another Ferrari rental) will apply regardless of the other guys insurance coverage. The person who hit you is responsible to make you whole again. and to total a car does not mean 100% loss, once the cost get ups to 60-70% of total loss they generally will write the check, they can get the 30-40% back auctioning the remains of the car.

Getting it from your own carrier, is far different story, and demanding it may not be good for renewals :)

5. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    On the letter they sent, they said something along the line of equal value of loss. My car in their eyes is equal to a chevy malibu. Not expecting anything fancy though. Insurance already said they will cover 100% of repairs, anything else after is up to negotiating or civil lawsuit for loss of use/value. I kind of want to go the latter route cause I put a lot of money to repairs recently and got maybe 100 miles worth out of it. Variation solenoid, gaskets, spark plugs, exhaust, and smaller things associated with those and a 30k fluid change. I can see why they wouldn't grant me any refund though, its not their problem I spent money.

I decided however, I do want to keep my car post repairs. Its too new to me still and a Scud is just slightly out of my range for the lowest Scud on the market that I found.

6. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is this from a lawyer or personal experience? If so, I would like to speak with them (the lawyers) as I am going through this myself currently. As stated before, while the law regarding insurance is not comprehensive in NJ, it clearly states that the party at fault is not responsible for providing a car of equal status, only type (i.e get a sports car for sports car, suv for suv, etc).

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Looks like you need a good metal man. Can't say for sure but the damage looks like it's far past the abilities of the "dent-less" guys-- and I have one of the best that services my restoration shop.

I've been doing metal work for years. Hammer and dolly, heat shrinking, etc. The last 911 "incident" I rectified required only build primer and paint to finish-- no filler whatsoever.
    However, with that said, the catch is any good metal man will need full access to the back side of the panel as well as the front. Don't know if where that hit is if that is possible on the 430. I do know I removed a ding in my 360 door and the aluminum that Ferrari uses in the car is very, very hard. It was much harder to remove the ding in the aluminum door ( a 70 series aluminum maybe(?) ) than any steel door I have worked with--FWIW.

In any event, sorry to see this happen. Definitely ruins your day, week... All the best to you. I've been there too. It does suck.

sakodik likes this.
  8. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Fortunately not me, but I had a front row seat to watch a friend go thru this process on a 430,

Google loss of use and diminished value attorneys, its a real thing, especially in high end cars, planes, etc. You will need to hire an attorney to get any attention paid to you. These are not normal cars, they are miserable to get repaired. And once repaired they are pariahs. It will be near impossible to sell, and if you can sell it, 20-30% value is permanently destroyed from the crash, sorry to be Debbie downer. Don't shoot the messenger. I hope it all works out for you.

sakodik likes this.
  9. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nope, not shooting the messenger--sorry if I came across that way. I am in the middle of doing research and wanted to get my hands on as much reliable info as possible, thanks!

10. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    FWIW, you really don't know if the repairs will ever show up on Carfax and the like. Don't know how all that stuff works and really don't care but I have first hand knowledge that $40,000.00 worth of repairs (for a similar repair as yours, without any bent metal) has never showed up. If it's repaired properly and done correct as the factory would've done it, it shouldn't matter any how. Now flood damage or fire where gremlins like to show up unannounced that is a different story. Carfax and stuff like that is only 1 tool in purchasing a car, but it's far from perfect!

11. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sorry about your car - hope all goes well but... Carfax don't get me going on them. I purchased a 360 spider in July 2013 everything was great - Carfax, PPI, etc. So after a few years I was thinking about selling so first thing I did was get a Carfax. Low and behold an accident was reported. But this is the strange thing. The accident happened in June 2012 - a year before I purchased. And it was placed on Carfax in June of 2014! Yes a year after I purchased. Tried to dig up info and all I got was the owner stated that it was never in an accident but the police report showed a minor accident by a DUI girl backing her Toyota in the parking place in front of the 360. Not much damage just a scuff or two but the Carfax shows that it was in an accident. The Carfax guy said they would remove the accident if I can get the person that put it into Carfax to state that it was very minor. But I can't find that person nor can I get anyone to admit that it was even in an accident. Just a lot of BS. I still own the 360 and it has been a great car - I'm going to keep for as long as I can. But don't trust Carfax - they're full of it!

97 Spider likes this.
  12. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    sorry if this sounds naive but wouldn't hiring an attorney to negotiate your diminished value and loss of use claim negate any extra cash the insurance would tack on for that loss or use and diminished value? I don't know what value the insurance companies use in determining the car, but if it's market value, let's say 100k, and your attorney is able to get 20% back for diminished value, how much would you actually net after attorney fees?

13. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    If my accident doesn't show up on Carfax, then at least it will show up here if there is a next buyer for my car. Full disclosure, not trying to hide anything. I agree with you Brian, fire and flood I would turn away immediately. Accident reports, depending on price, buy cheap sell cheap.

14. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    your entitled to recover all his/her fees on top of the whole mess, when someone is at fault in an accident and wont pay, you are entitled to be made whole again. Not made better off, just back to the point where you started.