Battery tender for 2010 California | FerrariChat

Battery tender for 2010 California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ferrari52000, Jul 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari52000

ferrari52000 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014
    Newtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have a Deltran model 021-0128 that I purchased from the dealer for my car. I had the battery changed out last year. I keep running into the Manettino failure along with the AHV failure causing the car to go into limp mode. Do I have the correct charger. I connect it directly to the battery terminals. Thanks,
    Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I have the same set up.

OP...Does your model year have the charger port on the inside of the trunk? It's behind a panel on the right /passenger side.

I bought a CTEK 56-353 MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Battery Charger to replace the original. Boardwalk Ferrari had an extra Cali adaptor. Between the original battery and original charger, I was getting a few odd TFT messages. Nothing serious, but it was a drag. Knock on wood, since I replaced both about a year and a half ago, she's been reliable.

T

4. ferrari52000

ferrari52000 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014
    Newtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes I have the charger port in the trunk. I don’t have the adapter for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^I'd check with the dealer about be getting an adaptor for the trunk, or inquire at the email posted above. I'd also inquire as to the age and health of your battery...T

6. HDN

HDN Rookie

Apr 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Herman N
    ferrari52000 ,I have the original Ferrari California CTEK adapters with Original plugs for $ 50 each.
    if you want I can send you the pictures. I have 3 pieces available

7. HDN

HDN Rookie

Apr 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Herman N
  8. ferrari52000

ferrari52000 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014
    Newtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    HDN, I am interested in the adapter. How do we take care of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. HDN

HDN Rookie

Apr 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Herman N
  10. ferrari52000

ferrari52000 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014
    Newtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Update, I purchased CTEK Multi US 7002 charger with the adapter for the California. I charged it overnight and all day in the normal mode. Took the car out for a spin and had the same issue with all the warning lights and buzzers. I then placed the charger in the “Recond” mode over night and all day today. After work tonight I took it out for another spin and all was good, no lights bells or buzzers.

AD211 and Randy R like this.
  11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Does your Cali have HELE? Mine does and I always charge in "snowflake" mode...T

12. ferrari52000

ferrari52000 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014
    Newtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Tomc my California does not have the HELE.

tomc likes this.
  13. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    If you have an AGM battery you should use the snowflake mode, which produces the higher voltage and current necessary to maintain AGM. Otherwise your battery's life could be compromised.

14. ferrari52000

ferrari52000 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014
    Newtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't have AGM battery. I have a Interstate MP49 H8.

15. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    ^^

Good, seems like you've solved the issue. Enjoy!

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The probable reason why you experienced this is that your battery experienced what's called a "surface charge" condition which can happen if the battery was deeply discharged in the past and then improperly recharged. The "skin" of the lead plates held a normal charge but the rest of the lead in the plates did not. You have to understand batteries charge and discharge chemically as well as electrically. If the chemical reaction was not completed in sync with the electrical charging process, the battery charger may erroneously (prematurely) detect a full charge and stopped charging before the battery was fully charged.

If you then use the battery, the thin surface of the lead plates would only supply a short period of normal voltage. Once that's finished, the voltage drops and your battery's drained again.

I believe the "RECOND" function of the more expensive CTEK chargers ignores the surface charge and forces the battery to charge at a high voltage and amperage. This ensures the battery is thoroughly charged. However, it also causes more heat and the RECOND function should only be used when necessary and sparingly, or else it can evaporate the battery acid and reduce the life of the battery.

Car batteries and how they behave in various cars and conditions are often complicated to understand because you must keep in mind many factors which most people are simply not aware of, and then you have to be very careful what you assume about the original conditions, the baseline, of that battery which you are now comparing your battery's current situation against. All bets are off if your battery was never fully charged to begin with, by the garage, your car and/or your charger/tender.