Dino 246GT left rear quarter panel | FerrariChat

Dino 246GT left rear quarter panel

Discussion in '206/246' started by Vintage Veloce, Aug 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vintage Veloce

Feb 22, 2015
    Many years ago, probably in the early 1990s, I bought a Dino 246GT quarter panel at the Concorso Italiano. The guy claimed he had a whole rear end that he used to repair a crashed Dino, and this was leftover.
    For me, it was art. My girlfriend welded a frame for it so it wasn't so wobbly and I sprayed the inside flat black. I wire brushed the outside to remove all the original primer.

And since then, it has been a piece of art for me that I have hung in 3 different homes.
    Now, we have moved into a smaller home and there is no room in the house for it. And so I just hung it in the garage.

It currently has some surface rust, that enhances the look for me, but I may brush it off and oil it. I'm not sure.
    I definitely will NOT paint it, I personally think that spoils the "art' look.

I could also imagine selling it to someone who really needed it, like if they had a badly damaged left rear quarter on their car.

What do you guys think? Keep it "as is"? Wire brush it and oil it again? eBay it? (I don't think I can get myself to do that.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    cool.........hang it on the ceiling above your bed

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks good as it is and, in artistic terms, it is a nod to Ferrari's habit of leaving Dino (and Daytona) bodies outside to collect a bit of rust before they built the cars!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Vintage Veloce

Feb 22, 2015
    Bluebottle, what a fantastic picture! I'm tempted to frame that and put it near the fender!
    Can you suggest where I could get a full resolution version of that shot?

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    That photo was originally taken by Ed Niles. He is here on F-Chat under the same user name. You may try contacting him if you want a better version of the pic.

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Good idea! I haven't a clue, but it looks as though you have your answer now anyway.