Did you drive your Dino today? I did! | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Did you drive your Dino today? I did!

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Nov 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    To enjoy your Dino in the environment it was intended is truly magical!

Freeman

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Yesterday was the big day - 170+Dinos together on the track at Fiorano and afterwards inside the heart of the Ferrari factory - the first time most of them have been back home to where they were born in 45/50 years!

I have posted my pictures on the Dino 50 thread, so shan't duplicate them here.

I drove my Dino only a mile or so today - round to the Museo Ferrari and on to lunch at Ristorante Cavallino - not merely a piece of Ferrari history, but excellent food, too!

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Finally, back home safely from the adventures 50 years Dino celebration event in Italy. Much kudos to Matthias for making this amazing arrangement happen. Perfection is an understatement! The sight of all the Dino's and the joy of being together with so many likeminded enthusiasts will forever be in our memory. It was great to meet and see fellow fchat members coming from all corners of Europe and some even from the states. We clocked 2900 Km in the Dino over the last 6 days and saved additional 850 km by loading the car on a train through most of Germany on the way back home (Wise decision as I was completely exhausted after the extensive program and the high temparature in the cabin). The car had no other issues than a corroded fuse affecting the charging circuit and a heat stroked driver.... who said these cars are not made for touring!
    By the way I can inform you that it is the first time I have driven around in Maranello guided by the Italian Police. They had barriered off the entire route from the museum to the test track and back to the factory. Really cool except for the pour local motorists that was held back for a considerable amount of time.

Best Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

dgt and DinoLasse like this.
  4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

John -

Thank you for posting about your adventure, and sharing your photos and tips about where to stay, and where to have lunch and dinner.

I wish we had been able to go!

Mark

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    My pleasure. More to come when I get a decent internet connection and some time to spare!

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Tuesday. From Asti, I headed back over / through the Alps to Macon, with a lunch stop at Lac d'Aiguebelette, near Chambery. Mostly motorway driving, the Dino was very happy cruising at just over 4,000 rpm in top (I am having misfire issues below that), but very small alongside the giant lorry convoys that I passed. They form into groups of half a dozen or more, slipstreaming each other, hanging on to the one inn front with almost negligible gaps in between - I dread to think of what mayhem might result if the lead vehicle were to suffer a blow-out, or some other issue!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Wednesday. I treated myself to a "no tolls" day - by setting my satnav (where would one be without one?) to avoid toll roads, I was able to spend an entire day driving the largely empty back roads of rural Burgundy: long gently undulating straights interspersed with sweeping curves and the occasional series of hairpins when climbing or dropping back down again - ideal Dino country. I stopped to visit the Chateau de Bazoches (a must if you are in the Morvan area, and worth a detour if you are not) and then briefly in the village of Vezelay, where, much to my surprise and his, I encountered a fellow Dino traveller on his way to the Le Mans Classic. I ended the day in a delightful little B&B near Chablis, my room being at the end of the garden overlooking the river, with a roof terrace on which to enjoy a cooling glass or two of the local wine, and where the proprietor turned out to have the same model of 911 as I do, just a year apart!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Thursday. After a pleasant drive to Fontainebleau, where the Chateau is second only in magnificence to Versailles, so again an absolute must see if you are anywhere near it (just south of Paris), I had a rather tedious drive around the outskirts of Paris to Chantilly, where I am now staying for a few days with my wife (who flew out from the UK) and daughter (who is working at Sotheby's in Paris) in a charming hotel (Auberge de Jeu de Paume - highly recommended) overlooking the gardens of the Ch. de Chantilly, before I head back to England on Monday.

Saturday. They have gone to the market just now, and then we are going to tour the Chateau this afternoon.

Fontainebleau:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Chantilly:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

View from our bedroom

martingilbert likes this.
  10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    After a 3-day break with my family (my wife flew over and my daughter came out from Paris where she is living / working), I headed for home. I made a quick stop at the WW2 cemetery in Bayeux to pay my respects to some of those who died so that we can live in freedom, then headed for Cherbourg and the ferry to Poole and home to Exeter.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    What great trip John! Thank you for posting the great references and tips.

Best, Alberto

12. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Cool - a Lotus Elite, a DB4(?), a Triumph Spitfire or 250(?), an MGA, a Bug Eye (Frog Eye) Sprite, an E-Type Coupe (I wonder how hot that got inside on the road)!

13. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    DB Mark 3, a.k.a. DB 2/4 mark 3. Last of the Lagonda engined Astons, just prior to the DB4. And Triumph Stag.

I expect the E-type was no hotter than in my Dino - at least in a E-type, you don't to all intents and purposes share the cabin with the engine!

14. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    DinoLasse and Bluebottle like this.
  15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Great looking Dino! I have a set of those wheels. It inspires me to try them on my Dino. What color blue is it? Metallic?

Freeman

16. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

Freeman, it's Blu Sera Metallizzato. Matthias once e-mailed me that only 58 Dinos came from the factory in that color. Fred

Coop, thanks so much for the assist! I wish we could get our Dinos together for a meet sometime! Fred

17. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
  18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Looks great! I think these wheels look correct on a Dino.

Freeman

19. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

20. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I always thought the early 308 5 spoke wheels in 14" worked well with the look of the Dino. That said the stock wheels with the stainless caps are still my favorite.

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    They’re “period-correct” and the best thing is they’re easy to bolt on/ bolt off! Like a Revell model kit, “Street, Strip or Track!”

Nuvolari likes this.
  22. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I drove my car up to Beaulieu for a "supercar" event at the weekend. 250 miles or so round trip. It is back on form again after some fettling post the Maranello trip.

Two cars celebrating 50th. anniversaries this year:

cgt000 and Jon Hansen like this.
  23. rosso dino

rosso dino Karting

Mar 5, 2009
  24. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name: