First to Second Shift in Manual | FerrariChat

First to Second Shift in Manual

Discussion in '360/430' started by Z8911, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Z8911

Z8911 Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    I just bought a manual 360 and according to the owner of the car it will have trouble going into second gear when you are driving spiritedly. And by trouble, I mean that it wont go in until the rpm's drop. My question to you helpful folk is whether this is going to put me in the poorhouse with a rebuild, or whether it will be a simple fix like a linkage or shifter assembly

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    #2 Skidkid, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Syncros are a problem in these cars but they aren't too expensive to replace.

3. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    I (MT) had that when the indy replaced the shift cables. I had to adjust them myself to get it to work. Same symptoms - doesnt work at high rpm.

4. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Shift lever bushing is the first thing to check as they frequently crack and a hairline crack is all it takes. You can find the procedure for removing the shifter to check it on many posts. Not difficult to do. If it is cracked, upgrade to a metal bushing.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Both bushing then cables are good recommendations (in order). I was thinking F1 but edited my response when I realized that it was manual. Syncros tend to manifest when cold as well.

Caphill likes this.
  6. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    In addition to the bushing, try swapping gear oil with Redline.

Made a huge difference in my car swapping from year-old Shell gear oil to fresh Redline even after replacing the bushing.

7. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Is it on upshifts or downshifts or both? Do you double clutch?

Mine (after some adjustment) is pretty good about going into 2nd but still a little hesitant on occasion when cold.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Well, first you check the clutch !! If the throw out bearing is going out, then the clutch is not working properly and it makes shifting hard !!
    Next you need to align the cables of the shifting mechanism !!
    I doubt the syncros are that bad, unless the previous owner didn't know how to drive shift !!
    Always used double de-clutch with rev matching on downshifts
    Allow gearbox oil to warm up before spirited driving
    Never "force" the shifts
    If you understand the mechanic, the syncros work with friction like "brakes" to equalize gear speeds, so you need to apply force smoothly

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I had exact same problem. Hill eng shifter bushing at $60 totally fixed this!!!

Caphill likes this.
  10. Z8911

Z8911 Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Ok thanks for the replies guys, they are very much appreciated.
    So the car does not come with any maintenance history what so ever and the previous owner claims that nothing has needed attention on the car other than oil changes. I know that I am due for a major, but I am concerned about the cam variators on the car. I called the local Ferrari dealership today and they said that there is no record of the car ever having the fix done. Is this something that needs attention ASAP? Is it possible that the cam variator upgrade was performed on the car and the dealership that I called could not get that info? The car has 44,000 miles

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The thing about the variators, and most mechanical things, is that you don't know if/when they will fail. It has made it this far so you are probably fine for a while BUT that surely isn't a guarantee. Changing variators is a big job; pull the cams territory. Technically you can do them in the car but it can damage the cam.

12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I don’t like the shift from 1-2...on my car its kind of notchy/ grinds a little...revving higher actually helps, esp when warm, my Indy checked it out, didn’t think there was anything wrong. Changed the fluid anyway. More or less the same,

13. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think it's all about heat. Even just a little bit.
    Always move your shifter 2nd or 3rd before reverse.
    Start in 1st as you ease out, and get into 2nd, even for a few hundred feet.
    Watch H2O temps and shift slowly. Don't get a bit aggressive until the oil temp needle moves.
    At that point it seems heel-toe is much more responsive.
    You'll never regret using redline.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  14. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Same exact problem and solution here.

15. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I want to say that you need to spend time with the car before you can describe shifts. You will want to go easy with her until she is good and hot and take mental notes about the different feel. There is a warm up time where all bets are off on the feel. This is going to be 5-20 minutes and low revs, then there is sort of a middle of the range mode where it can feel a bit different perhaps better..then, at least for my car there is a "ahhh-ha-Enzo-awesome-buggah" mode. The car acts differently here because this is where it was designed to be. Fully warm trans oil, fully warm water, fully warm engine oil and all the metal is up to temp. For my car, that I got when she was a pup at one owner and 5600 miles, this is about after an hour of driving! Think about that for a minute...an hour of driving! who has this time to enjoy? It's definitely not all the time for me but yeah, when my car is good and race ready I know it and so will you. Like nothing else!

Disclaimer is that your car needs to be ready and up to date and service wise...and you need to be a careful steward of it and ensure that all the precautions are followed that can damage your car....my .02

16. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee Karting

Mar 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Gee Monie
  17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I'd double check the variator with the importer not the dealer - there are very few variators not done - also it only applies to
    '360 models with engine numbers below 60796 only (vin range 114015 to 123399)'

As to second gear its a classic Ferrari issue when cold as a couple of folk have noted above (and new owners often are not told about) - its not something that will bite later

18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    There is a diff between a stiff shift and not being able to get into 2nd at all like it is blocked out.

If you exp the later the hill eng bushing solved my ‘blocked’ 2nd gear experience.

19. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Is the shifter/clutch in the 360 similar to the 430?

I.e. - do they suffer the same symptoms and have the same fixes?

20. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The shifter assembly, cables and gear selector is the same in the 360/430

John_K_348 likes this.
  21. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can shift my '99 from 1st to second gear at low revs stone cold without any difficulty. This following the Hill Engineering bushing and a cable adjustment. Once warm, shift at high RPM's no problem. It does take some practice to engage each gear just right. You can't be ham-fisted and expect it to shift like a Porsche. Using factory recommended Shell gear lube..... always have. Redline is a good product if you buy the right stuff... made a big difference in my 348 years ago. Just don't use the gear lube with particulate additives, as the pump in the tranny will not like that.

22. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just an FYI, if anyone does need synchros replaced in their 360 or 430, I know a guy in the California Central Valley who offers a 2 day turnaround on a transmission rebuild (if you ship your transmission to him) or a 3 day turnaround (if you ship your car to him). He has rebuilt over FIFTY 360/430 transmissions! PM me.

tonyc likes this.
  23. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    You could be right. TBH, it’s prob not something many complain about, but I wonder if my car runs hot enough.

24. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    The 360 gearbox has what is called "blind lubrication" in some areas. The 2nd gear location is one such area.

This means that it does not get directly supplied oil.

So frequently it needs to be warmed before any abrupt/hard shifting.

Also getting out the goopy Shell oil and replacing with Redline will make a huge difference as well.

one4torque likes this.