1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart) | Page 41 | FerrariChat

1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by mattymouse33, Apr 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Agreed.... the Lusso does look pretty good, except for wheels, terrible grill, and toy like windshield wipers, which can be replaced. Granted the photo of the blue version is a bad photo, but the color still may not be right. I'm hoping that the blue is a better shade than it appears here. Depending how it looks....I might be forced to buy a red one!

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  3. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Taking the slightly different angles and camera lens' into account, it's pretty close, and surprisingly good enough for me to consider buying one. Replacement parts I'll take care of. My only real concern/issue will be colors they'll offer.

4. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
  5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    cmr will release a 330 p4 as well...for less than 200euros.....in 1/12!

6. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    330 P4...you have all my attention.
    But at this price you there s nothing in the market in 1/12...I mean" new". So don t expect a correct scale or detailed car.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    That would be good. I like CMR. Even the Gulf GT40 although not perfect was pretty well put together. I also have the 935/78 and it has a few problems but overall it is very nice. Some details are cheaper due to the price but paint, decals, windows, wheels, tires ect. are top quality.

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    let's see if it is as good as the more expensive gp replicas...pics avaiable in diecast society

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    You know what, that models body does not look right. Not a good P4. I did notice they screwed up several of their 1/18th models pretty bad. This is the worst 1/12th body I have seen from them. The nose on the GT40 was narrow but this P4 looks all wrong in the nose area.

10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    CMR = too many flaws, and the Top Marques/GP Replicas has "body" problems too, but is still better. Choice is which is the best of the not so good. Very, very frustrating.

11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Regarding the latest 250 Lusso photos....here's my two cents worth...
    There are several details that are off, and I am not commenting on them, but here are what I see as more glaring issues.
    Tires do not look quite right.
    Windshield wipers are still crap.
    What is with the simulated rubber floor mats?
    Grill we know has problems.
    Not sure, but the two large center gauges ( Tach & Speedo) appear to be in wrong positions - they look like they are placed too far to the right...
    Exhaust tips are not really correct in a few ways.
    And last...what the hell is with this candy apple color?!

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    A silver Lusso. I compared one of my Top Marques 1/12th models to a 1/12th Otto and the Otto is better quality other than for a few photoetch items. I think Otto is one of the best quality of all the big 1/12th resin manufactures, although they mainly make rally and more normal cars. To bad they don't make vintage Ferrari's in 1/12th. Top Marques overrates themselves and need to improve quality. I think the 250 GTL Lusso is their best model and I will buy it but it is far from perfect. At the prices they charge they should be less toy like and a lot more accurate(the Lusso is the only one that looks shaped mostly correct).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    My thoughts, too. Color does not look period correct, even though I find it rather pleasing for something more modern.

14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Tom I agree with you on all your points, but will add a couple more notes.... I believe that the Top Marques Dino 246GT was also very well done, and probably better than the Lusso, and like you, I will definitely buy one of their Lusso models. Just have to decide which color to get. As far as Otto goes, yes they do a great job, especially for the low prices they charge, but they are also closely affiliated with GT Spirit, and we've seen how GT Spirit's vintage Ferrari models have been done....

15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Agreed. Not a period correct Ferrari color. But it would be great on something more modern.

16. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I'm curious, how is 3D scanning expensive? Seems like those hand scanners work pretty well and are relatively quick they give you a point cloud around which to build the CAD. I get CAD development is expensive.

Just want to get educated on the process. :)

-F

17. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Well you need to know how to operate the scanner properly, and or hire someone who does. And it still takes time to do. Last time I looked..... the cost of buying a hand scanner was around $50,000 - $60,000. Services for hire were expensive as well, except of course for China. We all know how cheap it is to get many things done over there. But quality and accuracy most often suffer in the model car field. Prices on some 3D scanners may have come down a bit, but still an expensive item and or process. Skilled labor costs, and you usually get what you pay for!

Just because an item is 3D scanned does NOT guarantee that it will properly translate down into a model without someone with a good, eye, and knowledge of what to do, how to do, etc, etc. That is one of the reasons why we get to see so much quickly produced junk, mistakes, shape problems and more issues from many model companies.

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #1019 F1tommy, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Well I guess we are getting 4 colors on the 250 GTL Lusso. I always liked this color a lot and it was a real color not fantasy. This was Reggie Jacksons old Lusso now owned by a collector in Chicago. The side photo shows a possible problem with the Lusso models body. The rear fender seems to start to go down to soon by the rear window. Very hard to tell from photos and still a pretty nice model.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Tom that is a really great color! Original, unusual, and unfortunately a company like Top Marques will never make it. I see what you mean about the rear, but having studied a number of photos of the real cars & the TM models... it is almost impossible to tell from just photos. This is one of those body shapes that is susceptible to looking different in numerous angles, and then there are camera lens issues, lighting, and colors that can throw things off. When I look at one view it appears almost perfect, look at another and it can look way off. Overall, as much as I am one of the most vocal critics of Top Marques, and other model companies.... I think that overall they actually captured this car very well, BUT.... I will still wait until I have one in my hands to make any final comments. Certainly we know and can see a number of various weak points, and questionable colors, but I think this one may actually be worthwhile.

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Attention moderators: I wonder if it is about time to drop "Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart" from this thread's title. None of those manufacturers, not even Tamiya, has been discussed in the thread for a long time.....

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Rosey and Christian.Fr like this.
  22. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name: