550 market tanking | Page 3 | FerrariChat

550 market tanking

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 1taliantrash, Jul 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    As much as I love some older cars, I really don't like the hassle of dealing with that level of maintenance and unreliability. If it is a historically significant car like a GTO, I don't mind if it has carbs. If it's not that important of a car, I rather just a newer car that looks great and provides lots of performance with reliability (i.e. Pista). If others have the same viewpoint as me, then that guy would be correct in that demand would shift away from the older classics and to newer stuff so prices would drop.

I love the 575 and have always wanted one in a manual, but they are too overpriced. That coupled with the fact they are 15+ year old cars with who knows what else is needed if garage queened turns me off. I rather have a new Fcar at that price (or less than that actually).

2. 1taliantrash

1taliantrash Karting
    BANNED

Dec 30, 2017
    the guy in the youtube video doesn't know wtf he is talking about. he's talking about them producing lots of newer limited edition Porsches as if that has any bearing on actual classics, as those aren't classics at all. the stuff thats old and worth coin now will not be dropping dramatically. the new crap they are mass producing might never see collector prices. that doesn't mean classics will fall, just these newer models won't ever attain collectible classic car status.

3. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    There is a 550 for $80K on cars .com a few days ago. Clean titled Argentio/black like mine.

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I saw this the other day. Makes very little sense to me, honestly. Apples and Oranges, I don't see how overproducing modern cars can have any effect whatsoever on the desirability and pricing of older, less common ones. It's more a theory of creating newer classics; if that's the idea it should be stated more clearly.

5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Actually the YouTube video supports the idea that the 550 Maranello will increase in value over time. As you say it’s apples and oranges really. Porsche RS models were produced in quantity over the years. The Maranello was produced in relatively low quantities for a specific period of time and that’s it. Ferrari will not produce any more. I recently spoke to a Ferrari officianto with a warehouse size collection of Ferraris that he buys and sells as his business. I mean the cars he has are the very best, top of the food chain if you will. When I asked him his opinion as to what would be the next “collectible” and sought after Ferrari, he said without hesitation “The 550 Maranello.”

Chupacabra likes this.
  6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Then shouldn't be too tough to post a link to the auction results.

7. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I think that one lists prior accident damage.

D

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

well. 1taliantrash, you took a look at this thread a couple hours ago, but no response.

I'm gonna take that as a refusal.

Also, several folks suggesting that you're actually an old user who was banned, come back to life.

so, 180 day ban for trolling.

Enjoy your time off, see you in February.

D

9. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    There's a 550 on BaT currently bid at $117.5k and about 1 hour to go before auction ends. Looks like it has spotys records and in need of major service. Perhaps our Italian trash guy can alert the suckers paying double for that fast depreciating car.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I sold mine in the Summer of 2008. That will be the absolute bottom for Maranellos. You're welcome.

Adamas and Laserguru like this.
  11. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Youtube video has a point. Just about every manufacturer has made much much more sporty cars yearly during past two decades than ever before. Obviously there are also many more wealthy people around than before. But how many of those are willing to keep old cars going? People want to live in city centers where garage space is always on premium. When all 17000 360 come to age when they are just too old for most owners who's going to buy them and at what price when current owners move on to newer things? Especially when there are also 10000 Gallardo's, countles 996's, 997's, R8's etc. which need to be put somewhere. At same time less and less young people get into cars. Emerging markets like China and Russia is not an answer. They have very strict laws on importing anything old into them and in general ex communist markets will have only new car is something to want to mentality for a long time to come.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I bought my 550 in Hong Kong in 2006 for a sum of money. I drove it to work almost every day and used it to go to the shops etc at the weekend. After more than 10 years as a daily driver I decided to retire her and shipped her to the UK (RHD here in HK) where she now sits alongside my 330GT 2+2.. I think like many owners once you have had a 550 in your life you don’t like the idea of not having one so you simply keep it. I could care less what I could sell it for as intend to keep it and pass it on to my son when he’s old enough.

Both the 330 and the 550 are a pleasure to drive long distances which we do with then (mainly across Europe)

Texas Forever and marce like this.
  13. MelbourneCarl

MelbourneCarl Rookie

Dec 23, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    This is interesting. When thinking about future values it's all about the future buyer not today's buyer. Good ol' supply & demand.

Re supply, the point was made around increasing production numbers. This is true and there is a scarcity element that to me will go towards holding the value of older cars. Lambo built more Gallardos than every other previous model Lambo combined; the numbers aren't quite as crazy for Porsche & Ferrari but not far off. Much smaller production runs for the older cars versus a growing global pool of sufficiently wealthy and car-interested people should help support values.

Re demand, bit of a different story. Yes there is growing global pool of sufficiently wealthy and car-interested people. However, do people my age (late-30s) and younger know much or care passionately about 1960s Ferrari racing pedigree? Not likely. Today you can barely give away a pre-war car unless it's a RR Silver Ghost or the like. Many of today's big-money 1960s cars will probably fare the same as their 60 & 70-something owners fall off the perch. Just as I wouldn't have a clue how to drive a Model T much less maintain one, I don't do carburetors.

Stick shift is another interesting dimension. Today everyone wants a manual over an F1, hence huge price deltas on three-pedal 575s, 360s, F430s, etc. Yes, most 20-year-olds can't drive stick, and probably don't care about driving full stop. So the classic car market in 30 years may well be f***d, but so much can change it's pointless to look out that far. For the next 10 years, as the current 30- and 40-somethings get into their peak collector-car buying years (aged 50-65), most of them can drive stick. And there probably will be a counter-culture against autonomous electric cars, with people valuing something analogue as weekend toys. So while I can't see why a three-pedal 612 should be worth three times a two-pedal version and as much as an 812, I also can't see values for 360s, 550s, etc falling off a cliff. (Bar another GFC... but that's a whole different thread!)

14. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    i have a 550 and recently added a 458. Tbh the 458 is so epic and the price is so close that it doesnt seem to make sense to keep the 550 except from an ownership enjoyment perspective.

15. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    #65 Canuck550, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2018
    Sheesh who cares... we are dealing with ****off money, buy it, drive it like you sole it and enjoy it, if it sells for 10% of what you paid, who gives a rats ***, its called life experience, we should be grateful to be in such a position.
    Drive mine at every opportunity I can :)

Texas Forever, fatbillybob and Graz like this.
  16. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What other perspective is there?

Bas, root, ///Mink and 1 other person like this.
  17. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Yeah! Honestly though, even if you are looking at an economic one, the 458 is going to continue to drop like a falling rock. So there are two :)

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I still waiting for someone to sell me their mary for 50 large...crikets!

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Gentle reminder. Let the filter here do its job. Don't type @#$% when you mean ****, type in the word, if it passes muster, it'll just print out.

oh, and "rat's ass" should be possessive. :D

D

Canuck550 likes this.
  21. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Can we debate the Oxford comma as it applies to lists of denigration??

22. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i was just PAID to take a 550 off a sorry owners hands.....

the are officially worth less than zero

23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I think it's worth discussion, maybe. :D

D

24. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

On the other hand, maybe we should ask some moderators. Wax, MSeals, and Booker come to mind.

D

25. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

:)