Effects of heat and humidity on storing a car | FerrariChat

Effects of heat and humidity on storing a car

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by dwe8922, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I live in FL, and store my cars in a concrete block shop. I've always used a damp rid inside the car, and in the summer, the crystals have to be replenished/canister drained pretty much weekly. I bought a thermometer to see what the conditions really are, and on a hot summer day, it can can get to 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

The shop has a lot of footage, and isn't perfectly sealed, so I don't know how practical ac would be. I've thought of a large humidifier too....

What are the effects of moist heat like I have, vs dry dehumidified heat?

Thanks,
    David

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Well, look where they store military aircraft for later use - the Arizona desert.
    Moist heat is sure to grow a nice crop of mold on fine leather and other organic materials, versus the dry heat.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Buy a dehumidifier with a pump/hose that will automatically drain the unit when it's full. Set to 50-60% humidity and you're good to go. Has worked wonders for me.

docf likes this.
  4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    By coincidence, we had a very interesting and informative talk on the topic at the local sports car club this past Sunday. The topic covered critical humidity, carcoons, dehumidifiers, stc. Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I do the same! No known problems.

6. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
  7. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I agree in Florida at least, best to have air conditioning or a dehumidifier set up...

8. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

For added insurance against moisture you might add bags of desiccant to the inside, trunk area and maybe underneath the hood. One pound bags work well for automotive use.

9. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Stuart, Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Adams
    Being in Florida and planning to buy a 348 in the near future I found this string to be extremely interesting. Thanks to all the ideas including putting in the desiccant. Florida is a tough place for a nice car. My old XKE, which was a daily driver for 10 years, had a lot of rust problems due to driving the roads which were near the ocean and during the day dumped lots of salt just by normal wind currents. Once it rained those roads, now covered with dry salt, turned into a salt soup which splashed into the underside of the car. It was a constant battle down here. Same thing with my RV which is now almost completely rusted on the underside after only 10 years. Probably poor planning on winnebagos part. Thanks again guys any other ideas would really be appreciated. By the way I'm in the Stuart area, in case there are others particularly with 348 that could give me specific information on upkeep.

Sent from my VS995 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jet likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

aprilaire 1850 installed this week. have it set at 60% given i never spend more than a cple minutes a day in the garage - sure beats humidity of 80% +!!!

11. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    How much heat do those humidifiers put out? The only ones I am familiar with really cook the room they are in. There is no way you would want to be in there working on your car if they are putting out a lot of heat. I am in need of a solution too very shortly and was researching split AC units that can control humidity too. Anyone use one of these?

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    No the garage actually feels cooler now.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  13. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Same with mine.

My understanding is that the dehumidifier uses cold coils to chill the air pulled into the machine to the point that they start to develop condensation (aka pulling the water out of the air). That water content is then drained off and discarded through the hose via the pump once the machine fills up enough.

The result is cooler, drier air being pushed out of the machine. And also explains why it doesn’t function below the 40 something degrees required to be functional.

14. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    The machines have a operating temp limitation. Cold = no dice. Drying in cooler air, that's where the desiccant or desiccant drying equipment works best.

15. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi Joe,
    I put in an extender cable so I can make the battery tender connection without opening my hood. When disconnected, I put the cap on and lodge the connector in a slot in the grill.

Attached Files:

16. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That looks great, Jim. I actually have it on my Turbo but haven't had a real need to do it on the 550 - although it could something to add on when it goes in for service next...

17. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    One other thing I like about it is if I forget it's plugged in, it just unplugs itself.

18. Johnny Martin

Johnny Martin Rookie

Feb 6, 2018
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Martin
    I put a nice split unit A/C unit in my garage here in Florida. When I pull out the window all fog up like sunglasses. I know I’m keeping her cool.