Are you cautious telling people you own a Ferrari.? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Are you cautious telling people you own a Ferrari.?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Flyingbrick242, Aug 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KVerow

KVerow Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Bedford, NH
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've had my car for 8 months and the people who know me, friends and close colleagues know about my passion for cars so it tends to not to be an issue. Clients are interesting, some are car people and some are not, the ones I feel comfortable with know and understand the game so tend not to say too much. During drives and running errands, yes I'll use just about any excuse to use the car, I've found people to be generally good natured. It's been said several times and I've found it to be true, if you don't appear to be ****** or *******, people respond cordially and respectfully. General curiosity, admiration, Q&A, some photo requests etc... I have an acquaintance who'll disagree with me until the cows come home arguing that people are rude, offensive etc... what I'll say is he has an air of arrogance and standoffishness that can fill a room hence his experiences differ greatly from my own.

We bought it. We love it. We drive it. No apologies required.

2. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    I’m just like Jim.J. I’ll talk forever if someone is interested, tell them all about the car the running costs and when I tell them it’s a ‘99 their mouths drop. I was parking one day and a family was standing nearby, the dad said my kid loves your Ferrari ( the Lil guy knew what it was). I asked the dad would ur son like to sit in it? You should have seen the Lil guys eyes they were as wide as saucers.
    The kid was estatic and pictures were taken of him. His Lil sister was standing there and I could tell she wanted the same treatment. Naturally I asked the dad the same. In a wink of an eye the Lil girl was behind the wheel as well.
    Needless to say the mom and dad were so very appreciative.
    Nothing like memories for children.

3. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

#53 Metastable, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Same here - I might take the car to cars and coffee or do a kids with cancer event, but I have told exactly 2 close friends that do not live anywhere near me and one is a VP at Bank of America and the other manages huge SAP projects..... so both of them make significantly more than the average worker. I do not want to tell anyone else, unless they also belong to this sort of community. I also keep it at a dedicated storage facility outside of town, so that the neighbors don’t ask questions...... plus I do not like keeping the other vehicles out of the garage. :D

timjen88 likes this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Interesting how much thought goes into the notion of hiding a Ferrari underground....

It’s unfortunate that it really affects people..... Even long time acquaintances.

To me it’s an interesting social experiment.

Manda racing and KVerow like this.
  5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I don’t talk about this much, but I did outwardly let complete strangers know what I drive; this was when I chauffeured and accompanied cancer patients to and from their chemo therapy for the Road to Recovery program. The coordinator in my area connected me with patients who were avid car enthusiasts and I volunteered my services twice a month for about 2 odd years. The way their faces lit up is just indescribable and I’m so happy to have been able to bring a bit of joy in their daily battle against cancer.

I highly encourage all owners who can to volunteer.

DMWC, ncm6cabrio, gburkett and 5 others like this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Fresh- slow clap! Awesome. I bet you got as much from this as anyone of your passengers.

7. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #57 mello, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Is this the guy?

[​IMG]

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Heck no. Everybody in my neighborhood calls me, "The Ferrari Guy." It's good to be The Ferrari Guy. :)

Dr.Gee likes this.
  9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Not cool posting a pic of someone wo their knowledge. Imho, I would pull that.

Trust me I have my fashion gaffes..... I really love camo...., shorts hats shoes.

10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    there's 5.7 million in ATLANTA. I can't even fathom a whole country.

wonder how many Ferraris we have...

sjd

11. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Walking the dog one night, a family is coming the other way. Amy and I say hi, and talk with them (first time we've met, I think). The guy asks "How's the car?" I said "the car?" He says "Yeah, you're the guy with the Ferrari, right?"

LOL *blush*

sjd

gsworld2014, KVerow and G. Pepper like this.
  12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Over the weekend the neighbor had a yard sale and both of my cars were in the driveway because I was working in the garage. Some people popped by to look and/or chat but most didn't appear to notice. The 360 will be off next week to its new home so the garage will be back to one. Kind of sad but happy too.

Melon767 likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I just dont tell people at work and people i know who may he struggling.... thats about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee Karting

Mar 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Gee Monie
    If this means driving it everywhere and letting pretty much anyone with interest driving it.No.

15. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I have neighbors stop to shoot the **** when I'm detailing my cars. Since I had a Rosso Corsa 456M for so long, and now a yellow 360, more than the usual stop to check the new one out.

16. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    No one finds this rather ironic that this thread in the 360/430 forum? You guys are acting like you drive Enzos, La Ferraris and TDFs o_O Brand new Fully loaded Pick ups, Escalades, Rovers, Teslas, Corvettes to name a few are all more valuable than your old Ferraris :p

Manda racing and kes7u like this.
  17. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    That happens too, but I do most of my detailing in the garage where the even light is.

day 1 with the 348: Tony the Neighbor: "Steve....do you know what this is?" Me: "A Ferrari with a strange and maybe very expensive to fix clutch noise?"

sjd

G. Pepper likes this.
  18. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I had a guy ask me how much on the 456M. I said, new, or what I paid for it? He said, okay, new. I replied, $237K. He blinked. Wow, how much are they worth now (Thinking it was an expensive classic), oh about $75K. He's like, what an amazing deal! I said, yeah, but it was eleven years old and needed about $20K of work. He got the idea; expensive hobby!

steved033 likes this.
  19. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    HAHA!!! I had a guy have a comedic tantrum when he found out he paid more for his new VW GTi than I paid for the 348. He felt better when I told him how much i've put into it (time and money), and that more bills were coming.

sjd

one4torque and G. Pepper like this.
  20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Nope, not ironic at all. When was the last time you looked at a pickup going by and said "WOW". It isn't the price of entry, it is the beauty and the uniqueness. That house that needs a bulldozer driven through it costs a LOT more as well but no one is stopping to check it out.

21. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    And THAT is exactly what I tell them. The TRUTH!!!
    -Kevin

dvb247 likes this.
  22. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I do use, "I could have spent more on a Corvette" when people ask how much sometimes. It confuses many of them. :)

Dr.Gee likes this.
  23. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't but I've realised that being a Ferrari owner your reputation precedes you, you don't need to tell them because actually, they already know :D

MalcQV and one4torque like this.
  24. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Lol so true I think I drove it to work about twice and didn’t even notice anybody see me get in/out of it before the whole building knew.

25. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    So many negative nellies... who buzzes around a forum of people who are happy about their particular car and says it’s really not that special? So much to make you sad in this world... just enjoy the fact a few people have found their dream car.

I’ll never understand that behavior.

Guess I’ll just have to go for a drive and enjoy my out dated cheaper than a pickup truck slower than a Honda super car :))

hessank and MalcQV like this.