Engine Control System Failure | FerrariChat

Engine Control System Failure

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by AD211, Aug 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The morning of taking my car to the dealer for the airbag recall, this message came on. Haven’t seen it before. FChat posts talk about a loose gas cap and disconnecting the battery. The dealer (Greensboro, NC) has done an initial smoke test but has not found a leak. Has anyone had this and know of a resolution? 2010 Cali bought last October. I bought a year of the New Power warranty but this is not covered. I’ve put on 3k miles, keep on a CTEK, no problems...until now.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Did you fill up your gas tank shortly before your car threw up this warning message? BTW, I'm not asking because of a loose gas cap.

3. ItalianStallionNJ

Mar 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Reilly
    If you have a Cali without an evap fault, is it really a Cali?

4. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Nope. I had driven 1/2 a tank over a couple weekends prior to seeing this.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 4th_gear, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    There are a number of possible causes for this rather broad, catch-all type warning - I was hoping you had one of the easy-fix ones, not related to the gas cap but since your tank was only 1/2 full, it's not what you have. It does not look like an evap fault (P2404).

So unless you know of clues, you need to pull the actual code number(s) of the fault(s) from the car's ECU. I've said this a couple of times before - all owners of complicated, expensive to service cars, should own (and USE) a OBD-II code reader. Without the actual Pcode number(s) or some clues you have observed you can only guess and that can waste you a lot of time and money, especially if your only service option is many, many miles/kms away. If this is your situation you might want to get any competent garage to read the ECU Pcodes for you, taking care not to reset them in the process. BTW, did your dealer tell you which codes they found? Ask them for the details.

The other most common causes have to do with your O2 sensors and catalytic converter "SMOG detection" which are not difficult to fix. I believe other causes can also be from any component involved in internal combustion cycle of the car. However IMO, the Cali's power unit is very well-tested and very robust so unless someone had improperly modified factory components whatever issue is causing the warning is not likely to be a biggie.

6. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks 4th gear. I’ve been avoiding pursuing any in-depth knowledge of the car other than filling it up with gas and driving it but I may need to take more responsibility! I’ll check into the tester. I’ve seen you post about that before.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    iOS and Android compatible OBD-II readers are cheap and easy-to-use. Once you have the pcodes, just look them up from a list or Google the pcodes. If you are smart enough to hold a well-paying job/position you can easily handle the task. ;)

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Any resolution on this, AD? I had the same TFT message recently. It was an evap leak in the fuel system. Loose gas cap, they think. Hope yours is likewise simple...T

9. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Heard from them today Tom. After multiple tests they could not find anything. They’re going with the loose gas cap theory. Of course while it’s there we’re gonna knock out a few things. Rear seat trunk access panels’ latches fixed, sticky buttons redone, and the annual service which was scheduled for October. The original reason for even being there was the air bag recall!

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Fingers crossed that it'a a minor annoyance...T

11. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    I experienced that before and initially, it was due to a battery that needed replacement. Later on, the same error (among others) started coming out and it turned out that one of the O2 sensors was faulty.