400 Automatic for sale in Mexico | FerrariChat

400 Automatic for sale in Mexico

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by hdav, Aug 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hdav

hdav Rookie

Aug 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Henry Davis
    Hello, I'm Henry, new to Ferrari Chat...and to Ferraris for that matter...

I don't know if this car has been discussed earlier, I couldn't find it if it has.

I went to see this car this morning. It is a 1977 400 Automatic. Serial number 23077 Engine number F101C000000192. I'm considering purchasing it, but I need your help to make a more informed purchase.

In Mexico from new, and it's had a fair share of owners (maybe 7 or 8). Odometer shows 37,000kms, but it doesn't turn and it's obvious that its al least 137,000kms.

The car is in decent shape but it needs a lot of TLC. There are lots of loose, broken and replaced (by non original) small items like knobs, switches, speaker grills, etc. Interior seems original and in good enough shape, no need to change it. See pictures please.

The car started from cold right away and settled into a good idle, no smoke on startup, and NO timing chain noises. Oil pressure at a little over 5 kg/cm2 on startup. Once warm idle suffers a little but it's probably just low revs. Oil pressure at around 5 @ 3,500 rpms and close to 0 at idle when warm. Water and oil temp at below half. Amp meter not working, speedometer not working.

Car is slow from the start but I believe that is expected for an auto. It shifts well going up, but does not downshift when you accelerate. If you are doing 40 mph for example and you put your foot down to gain speed you have to manually move the shifter for it to change to 2nd (or to 1st if going slower) THIS IS MY MAIN CONCERN. Acceleration when shifting down manually seems good. A tiny bit of grey smoke from the right exhaust when warm and revved up. No oil or any other fluid drops to the floor either cold or warm.

Steering and suspension feel good, but the breaks could be better (not too worried about that, probably an easy fix).

Oil in good shape (no water in it).

No service records except for an $8 k dollar service done locally in 2016 that included a timing chain change...

The body and paint are reasonable. It could use a re-paint and it has 2 small rust bubbles, one just behind the front left tire and one at the front corner of the right door. No way to know how bad they are until you peel the paint. No other obvious rust issues. Wheels painted black and bumpers painted body color. Are those mirrors correct?

No jack, no tools, no manuals. Non original keys

Below are some pictures.

Again, my main concern is the gearbox and the many broken and missing small bits. Are those available? Are they terribly expensive?

From the little I have told you, should I run as fast as I can? Or does it sound like a half decent purchase?

Thanks for your help

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  3. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Appears to be a lot to fix, but none of it looks terribly serious, except for more rust issues we can't see in the photos. Depends on price and your level of comfort spending more $ making it right.

4. hdav

hdav Rookie

Aug 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Henry Davis
    Thanks to both of you

So it seems the transmission issue should be a more or less easy fix.

Price would end up below $35K. I believe it's a good price. It needs a lot of TLC, but at that price I believe there is still room for what is needed and still be above the water line...

5. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
  6. hdav

hdav Rookie

Aug 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Henry Davis
    Thanks, I hadn't seen them

7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  8. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    The lack of kick down on full throttle is likely an easily corrected electrical issue, a switch or the attending wiring. The automatic transmission is the most robust and also cheapest and easiest part of this car to fix. I would never let a transmission issue(automatic)scare me away.
    The rust bubbles on fresh looking paint scare the bejeezus out of me

9. hdav

hdav Rookie

Aug 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Henry Davis
    Thanks. Paint is not fresh, it's been there a long time. Not original paint but many years for sure. The car probably needs a windows out repaint. I have come to an agreement with the seller and should complete the purchase during the week :D

palmer_md, D.J, Schumi and 2 others like this.