F12 or 488 Spider ? | FerrariChat

F12 or 488 Spider ?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by jcl50, Aug 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcl50

jcl50 Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
    have an offer from the dealer that the F12 and 488 Spider are on the same price. F12 model year 2017 and 488 Spider model year 2018. Both about having similarity in configurations and both in all new conditioned. I will drive it mostly for pleasure in the weekend and plan to keep it forever .... this is my first Ferrari ....my another sport car is 991 Carrera S which I have had for 5 years and will keep it forever too.
    Which one will you choose ?

Thanks you for all your advice.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. jcl50

jcl50 Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
  3. bubbaboy

bubbaboy Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    F12, but it would be nice to drive with the top down. JD

4. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    Where do you plan to drive to? I’m lucky to have both but they are quite different cars. The F12 has an amazing engine and sound, but is more laid back compared to the go-kart like 488. You can fit a lot more luggage into the F12. Tough choice. Drive both first and go with the one that speaks to you.

uhn2000 and iloveferrari like this.
  5. wasax.rc

wasax.rc Karting

Apr 1, 2013
    I have both as well. My 488 is a great drivers car, open road, track it's awesome. My F12, hands down my favorite car I've ever owned. I love driving it, looking at it. As Gullwing points out, way different cars and use case matters here. If I could only keep one it would be my F12. And the 2017 run outs are awesome cars. Just my $.02

6. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Similar to responses above I have owned both. If this is a car to keep forever (I think we all say that at some point but always seem to buckle) I would go f12. The 488 is fantastic but the F12 is special and is one of the greatest v12’s Ferrari has ever created...imho. Plus it’s a very different experience from the P car.

7. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    jcl: are both cars similarly optioned? Typically, options can add high five and even six figures to the MSRP.

2d question: are they both in a color(s), paint and interior, that you can really live with happily? This is a more important question than you may realize with your first Ferrari, especially since this will be your forever Ferrari.

8. jcl50

jcl50 Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
    Yes both car have similar options with full carbon interior and some exterior carbon. Both have the
    same colour too that’s Rossa Corsa which I like.

9. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    If they are both Rosso Corsa then I’d go with the 488. It’s much more of a V8 colour and doesn’t really suit the F12. (IMHO)

10. jcl50

jcl50 Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
    Hi what do you mean by 2017 run outs are awesome cars. Are there any differences from earlier model years ?

11. jcl50

jcl50 Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
    Hi you mean the 488 is a sport car and same type as 991. So the driving experience is little similar ... and F12 is a GT car .... it is a very different experience from 991. I got it correct ?
    Please advice me. Thanks

12. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Not sure if I would equate 911 variants (except the GT series) with the mid engine F car. Also, do you like the so called "raw" factor?

I think you should test drive both car in and out to make a well informed decision.

13. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Let me echo what others have said - you should drive both cars, even if for just a couple of miles, and after that drive you will know which one you prefer. Both are superb cars, but they are very different from each other.

14. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I'm not certain anyone could make this choice after 'just a couple of miles'. Reason: their purposes are so very different. As JCL pointed out, the 488 is a sports car, the F12 a 'grand touring' car. the 488 is a day drive in the mountains or on track; the F12 works on track but will shine on a two-week trip through the Colorado Rockies or the Austrian/Swiss/Italian Alps. e.g. I loved my old F355 berlinetta but it was a pain in the axx to get into and out of, not really so comfortable to drive down to Watkins Glen and home - about 500 miles. Whereas my 575M Maranello is a joy to drive anywhere. The comparisons are apt.

15. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Perhaps. I've found that my first car impressions stick with me. I was in love with my TDF in the first 0.5mi - the shifting, the exhaust note, and the way the car pointed into corners as though seeking the apex. I had the opposite impression of the normal F12: a little muted, a little too "GT" for my (admittedly edgy) tastes. The 458 grabbed me from the first time I pointed it through a corner, while the 488 felt more powerful but at the same time less exciting. The LF was instantly my favorite sports car ever, and has remained so.

I think the OP will know almost immediately which car he prefers. He may discover he prefers them both, which is a different sort of problem...

16. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Ben, I couldn't argue with you for you. But you knew you wanted a sports car as compared with a GT. They are different animals. A Ferrari first-timer will almost certainly not know that distinction

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If its your only F, go with the NA V12.

Cgk360 and Gullwing like this.
  18. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I would say they are somewhat analogous. Not wanting to whip this board into a frenzy so I would say again, somewhat. I have owned a bunch of 911’s and agree with the comment by iloveferraris around the GT series being closer. Point is one is a more of a true sports car and the other is a GT but not like any Other GT out there. I was happy to use my F12 as a daily...not so much on the 458/488. Do some driving in each as others have noted.

19. mjeagent

mjeagent Karting

Aug 17, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've owned both. I still have the F12 if that tells you anything. It's AMAZING. I've had an FF, 458, 488, California, and F12. Nothing compares to the F12.

20. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Interior and build is superior on F12. Easy.

21. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    F12 is the answer you want. It does everything minus serious track work, but the 488 sucks too to be honest.
    If you aren't a scared individual and have your skills in order the f12 is a exhilarating treat to drive.
    Do these 2 things and you will get the best car you ever owned and that even most owners don't even know.
    1)Get a proper corner weight and alignment, start with factory, a bit lower and with a bit more camber, adjust to what you are searching for/want from the car.
    2) do the exhaust valves mod (always open) or do ipe back boxes and maybe mid pipe. There is nothing like a ferrari v12 sound and it adds so much to the experience it is not even funny how much difference this makes.
    3) drive with tc off, if you are brave esc off to, but tc alone off, if you have the skills (if you don't just go learn, you will get your money worth 10 fold out of every car you own).
    The f12 with tc off is a complete new car to race or other mode. It's so rewarding, and moves much more freely.

You can rack up 40k miles in a year and have such a great time at every drive from the usual boring highway drive, to some city drive between lights, to b roads and back roads, to spirited drives.

Oh and a sedated test drive of the f12, especially without the 'mods' might not shown how truly great the car is. The ferrari v8 usually shine faster but fade equally as fast, specially the 488. The f12 takes time and deliberated effort to get to known, but you will get much more out of it.
    Oh and it is much more practical, minus bumper to bumper traffic that will drain your the fumes out of your tank if you are not careful.

Solid State and Thecadster like this.
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yeah...what he said ^^^