All Electric F1: Will you watch (POLL) | FerrariChat

All Electric F1: Will you watch (POLL)

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Aug 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will you watch an all electric F1 series?

1. Yes

9.6%
  2. No

90.4%
  1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The Mayor has already made a thread on this but I want a poll to see how many people will watch it.

For me it's a resounding NO. If I want to watch an all electric F1 series I'd watch Formula E. And I don't watch that. I'd rather watch nothing than suffer through Electric F1.

NEP, stavura, Finlander and 2 others like this.
  2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I pine for the old NiMH days. The Li-ion just does not have the sound. lol

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's no big surprise that FIA and Liberty are floating this dumb idea. Neither organization knows what it takes to make racing interesting.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They are ****ing clueless.

An Electric F1, run by manufacturers and the little teams have no say, but have to spend millions. Yeah that's a winning recipe alright :D:D:D

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    :D:D

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    FIA already has an electric formula. Just wait for them to screw that up, and they will screw it up.

Bas and daytona355 like this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I would Watch an electric F1 formula.

8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Nope. Would not watch an electric F1. It's bad enough as it is as I still cling to what F1 is currently.

If another series broke out of F1 from any of the current teams, like the Formula Thunder 5000 or Superleague Formula, then I would definitely watch that and join those forums.

stavura, daytona355 and 375+ like this.
  9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I would have to see what develops as far as the top 'E' series. We are moving that way as a whole with F1 not exclusive of that. We might be surprised at the racing involved potentially.

10. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Remote control electric cars will be next. Or better yet, autonomous cars racing... how fun that would be to watch. :D

375+ likes this.
  11. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Not enough information to cast a vote, but I will not discount the concept. The future is definitely going to be based on electric power and as storage gets better and better, the possibilities are exciting. There are so many things electric motors do better than ICEs

G. Pepper and william like this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Electric power will impose itsellf because it is ecologically more friendly. Future generations will finally understand that.
    Coming soon, the enforced pollution control in urban areas will be a game changer, IMO.

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Academic as apparently there can’t be one for at least 20 years...

F1s might be the last vehicles on the planet to still have to guzzle petrol

14. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I understand it is the future, I am just not interested at all. It will provide me more free time for the other activities I truly enjoy. Thr hybrid formula has really improved my life and I have found many other things to fill my life with, I still watch the races but just on the dvr when I have time and have no desire to go to the races in person anymore after attending over 20 races around the world before. Vacations have not been centered around attending races since 2013. Also without the hybrid formula, I would not have discovered how awesome and exciting MotoGP is, well done FIA!

G. Pepper and daytona355 like this.
  15. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    F1 and FE will have to figure out how to move forward together...I’m surprised that the FIA gave exclusive rights to FE for 25 years. Perhaps F1 will go to a “plug-in hybrid” system to keep FE happy...the ICE could be a Honda generator strapped to the rear wing.

william likes this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Think of it as the Science Fair for cool kids.

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Really don’t understand it either. Hope Todt got a nice present from Agag or he’s a complete idiot.

Bas and william like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, Agag has claimed victory too soo, I think.
    For example, the FIA could perfectly imagine an "electric" formula where the power going through the wheels comes only from the electric motor(s).
    Unconnected to the wheels, a mandatory range extender small capacity ICE generator to top up the batteries would make it "dual energy" formula..
    The best of both worlds if you ask me.
    The electric formula definition Agag hides behind to claim exclusivity, could be easily circumvented : it's only words.
    In any case, it's up to business people to find a compromise satisfying all parties. That's what lawyers exist, no?

19. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I would watch. The problem would be, I wouldn't know if I had accidentally hit the mute button.

petrol_junkie likes this.
  20. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I have no interest in watching toasters and microwave ovens racing.

jmillard308 and daytona355 like this.
  21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'd rather watch a video game.

I have zero interest in following "Formula E". I don't think I'm alone.

jmillard308, E60 M5 and daytona355 like this.
  22. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    But that wasn’t the question and is why I said: not enough information to vote. Who says an electric F1 has to be the same as FE...? I think with F1 resources, there could be a LOT of spice added to the mix.

tifoso2728 and william like this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Exactly. Formula E was created Under completely différents precepts than F1.
    Starting from scratch, FE was a specs series, and still is to a certain extent. To me, it's about Formula 3 performance level, no more.
    Also, Formula E uses temporary tracks in urban settings; so no possibility to compare speeds, lap times and else with other existing formulae.
    I think that was done on purpose, to capture a new audience, perhaps, and also because many tracks wouldn''t welcome it.
    Formula E for example doesn't have to pay for track use; instead the organisers get paid to bring races in town!

An electric F1 wouldn't be like FE, because it wouldn' be a specs series, it would benefit from a higher degree of engineering, aero, power output, etc...coming from existing teams that have a huge experience of motor racing at the highest level.
    Also, an electric F1 would keep visiting historical tracks like Silverstone, Spa, Monza, etc ... and not jumping over pavements in places that have never been designed to host a motor race.

Of course some people would like it, and other wouldn't; fair enough.
    Personally I cannot dismiss it. First because I like watching motor racing Under most forms (well, maybe not NASCAR), but also because I have seen some impressive demonstrations of electric cars in hillclimbing, rallycross or on circuit and I couldn't see why the source of power could detract me from watching the show.

24. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Like Las Vegas or Miami? ;)

25. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    True enough. The definition of the formula could go way beyond what any of us could imagine right now.

william likes this.