McQueen Family Suing Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

McQueen Family Suing Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rocketman, Aug 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013

Maybe now, but back in the early series of Chasing Classic Cars it was clearly a knock of of the Ferrari version.

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The font Ferrari uses is a generic font - they did not create it. Many people use it such as FerrParts and others. I forget the name but we have it for some stuff we have been playing around with.

3. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Rename "McQueen Brown" to "Stronzo Marrone" and call it done.....

4. Pranucci

Pranucci Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    Carpinteria, CA
    These guys have the right idea

5. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Is it a trademark issue? I didn't see that specific language in the story. It might simply be a right of publicity issue which includes the name, pic OR any likeness being used. Basically, no company or person can use a famous persons' name to market their product. I am perfectly happy with that law. I do not wish to have every aspiring woman sleuth mystery writer using my name in their marketing products implying my endorsement of their product. There's a reason for these protections.

Lusso123 and Texas Forever like this.
  6. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    This is 100% true. You have to defend your mark every single instance you find or the entire thing could be considered no longer valid.

7. 455Fosbery

455Fosbery Karting

Oct 3, 2013
    Off topic, but hopefully entertaining: I recall a place (in the US) that worked on German cars and had special metal signs made up that proudly posted names/logos of major German car companies with "nicht autorisiert" inscribed immediately beneath...

8. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Seems like someone got "cleaned" by a lawyer...….. ;)

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Is there a McQueen company somewhere that is pretty well established in the realm of car paints? I can see why the company Walt Disney would enforce its name even though Walt is long dead...they are very well established and clearly profit off the name in almost every type of consumer good and service imaginable.

How can the McQueen family prove they lost money? They can sue for wrong use of name...sure...but what did they actually lose monetarily? Are they not allowed to state in printed material that a public figure owned one of their cars?

If Ferrari were making McQueen-named sunglasses then it would be a better argument since the McQueen Persol glasses are established and a money maker. I hope the family lose this case and millions of dollars in legal expense. Hopefully enough to make them unable to ever fight another case since they don't get it.

crinoid likes this.
  10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    if the Cali T "Actor" colour scheme sells for the same price as the other Cali T 70th Anniversary liveries, then Ferrari didn't profit from the use of McQueen's name in reference to that livery. I hate nonsense suits like this, from either side. Ferrari should say the brown car called Actor references James Garner, who always drove brown/gold cars in the Rockford Files.

Besides, McQueen's more famous Ferrari was his customized 275 GTB/4 NART Spider, dark blue with slight flares, larger rear lip spoiler, and no bumpers. The "ordinary" brown Lusso was no big deal... ;)

375+ likes this.
  11. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    ^^^^ This ^^^^

12. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I can't believe this doesn't have more likes... :D:D:D

13. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Used his name to try to sell a product. They have crossed the line.

They would do the exact same thing if McQueen's relatives were using their IP.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Excuse me but, I create copyright (and trademarked and patented) material too and yeah there are issues but I can assure you, from where I sit, copyright laws are NOT ridiculous. Maybe a little clunky. Maybe a bit outdated. Definitely not ridiculous.

As far as this situation, I say to Ferrari, "FU pay me, I want my money".

-F

15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes well, I strive for a higher moral plain, so probably 75% of all laws are ridiculous from my enlightened standpoint. Laws are made by lawyers, which is why most of them stink.

If I was Chad I would have said something like, "Dad would have loved that." And that would have been the end of it.

Trying to monetize every aspect of existence is not the primary goal of life. Achieving a deep level of satisfaction with oneself is.

I would rather be me than any other man who has ever lived. That is self-actualization.

Enjoy your money.

davemqv and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  16. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Exactly, and he possibly would have, had it not been hyper-litigious Ferrari who decided that it absolutely applied to everyone else but them.

This is precisely why it is the only appropriate response to Ferrari and their rabid, often overreaching assault against anyone who is not them - even people who are honoring the brand. Ferrari set the precedent to apply against Ferrari.

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Isn't Chad's entire existence based on monetizing his Dad's legacy?

davemqv likes this.
  18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, I don't get that. There is something unsavory about it, "protecting the legacy" talk notwithstanding.

davemqv and Jakuzzi like this.
  19. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Isn't it Piero Lardi's [Now Piero Ferrari, as result of revisionist history] existence the same? He is living of Enzo Ferrari's name. :)

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. Alix Tckelman

Alix Tckelman Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alix Tckelman
    #46 Alix Tckelman, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2018
    It is a just a paint scheme and on their ****iest car. Not even a good paint scheme. Haven't seen a brown car in ages. The junkie son wanted a lot of money and Ferrari rightfully blew him off. Highly doubt they are going to make millions and millions of dollars off of it. They are not even charging extra. Priced the same as the other paint colors. The junkie son blew through his trust fund or should I say snorted it and now is trying to shake down anyone and everyone. Does anyone even remember McQueen? The new crop of Ferrari buyers are probably are saying McQueen who? It was 50 years ago.

21. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    You pick the name of a hooker who killed a guy by injecting him with heroin as your screen name and you're accusing Chad McQueen of being a junkie? Smells like classic trolling.

NeuroBeaker, paulchua and JDZNate like this.
  22. Alix Tckelman

Alix Tckelman Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alix Tckelman
    Well he is a junkie. Ordinary people do not do such stupid things. Most people would be happy if Ferrari used their thing. Ferrari has quite the cachet and you are getting millions of dollars of free publicity. Ferrari are not some guy with a garage business trying to steal its way to the top. The McQueen brand is getting stale because of time and this would have reinvigorated it. But of course it will go to court and some Masonic judge will give him millions and millions of dollars. The Masonics are behind electrics and they are just murdering the ICE cars. I mean even if you took your car in for service and the dealer didn't give you a loaner, you should take them to court. The Masonic judges will take care of you real nice.

23. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Someone is way off the reservation.....

thorn and paulchua like this.
  24. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED