Ferrari 550 Tubi Drone at idle? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 550 Tubi Drone at idle?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 550nitis, Jul 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Was in a 550 with Tubi's today and the drone at idle was horrific. What can you do to remedy this?

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Most common exhaust mod on 550s is or combo of:
    Wiring stock exhaust valves open

Removal of center resonator

Placing tubi exhaust 550 gen1 or 575 gen2

Cat removal or performance cats

Drone @2500-3000rpm worst happens with gen1 tubis on some cars but most when gen1 tubi is added when center resonator removed and cats removed modified

I don't find drone an issue with tubi gen1 on stock exhaust system with stock cats.

The best combo is considered to be resonator delete with straight pipes and gen2 575 tubi and free flow metal matrix cats.

Less common are capistrano exhausts and aftermarket headers and cat deletes.

308 GTB likes this.
  3. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    I have a full capristo system with mid pipe. It’s pretty loud at idle but I don’t mind sine I’m rarely at that rpm. Then from 2-3k Rpms it’s fairly quiet in the cabin, surprisingly. Then 3K+ it’s an Italian V12 symphony!

F456M likes this.
  4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Do you have a few videos or pictures of your exhaust components. I had recently (just a few miles!) the following combination: Hyperflow cats, Quicksilver X-pipe and Capristo non-valved rear mufflers. Everything with this set-up was a catastrophy! I thought it would sound really good, but it was impossible to talk to each other or on the phone til idle and low revs, no good sound at cruising or at full throttle. I put back my old stock mufflers and I got a «new» car again. Sold the Capristos to a guy with stock exhaust and he loved them. I had the same drone problem also with the center responator.

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  5. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016

I don’t have a specific video of my exhaust, I should make one. Check out my YouTube account: dowork exotics

I have videos of me doing FCA events in the 550, that was my last video. I think your problem may been the high flow cats? They really turn up the volume!

6. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016
    Here is the video!

7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Great video. It has a perfect grunt! You say you have a mod pipe. Is that a X-pipe or two separate?