Saying hello from TX | FerrariChat

Saying hello from TX

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by A12pilot, Aug 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hey Folks!

Posted this in the "lurkers" thread but figured I'd post it here too. Just joined the forum today since I’m starting my quest for Ferrari ownership next year! I’m still learning the ins and outs of the models and know that I’m wanting something in the mid 90s and am leaning on the 348 Spyder. Seems to fit what I’m looking for. I’d love a Testarossa, but they seem to be climbing out of sight and the wife would love a convertible.

I’m no stranger to classics and performance cars, but Ferrari’s are something i don’t know much about and am eager to learn. I’ve restored plenty of 60s muscle cars ground up, and with that, I do 100% of everything myself: all mechanics, rust repair, paint, interior, etc. l love every facet of restoring cars and find the build more fun than driving the car afterwards. The newest thing I’ve owned that sort of fits into this “super car” category is a 97 Viper GTS which I did some extensive work on as well.

One thing that I’m leary about in regards to Ferraris is the maintenance. But then again, everyone told me the Viper was special and had its own issues too. I ripped that thing apart and replaced all the engine gaskets, exhaust, brakes, and numerous other things with no problem. Yes, not the easiest (or cheapest) thing to do, but I did do it all myself. I’m hoping that with something like a 90s model, I may be able to do required maintenance myself too.

Nice to meet you guys. I’ll have questions on my search I’m sure

Cheers
    Dave

PS: next year I plan on building a BMW 507 replica from scratch with my own chassis design to get make an accurate as possible replica to put next to the future Ferrari!

2. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    348s & 355’s are great choices.

3. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Lots of good information in here, shouldn’t have an issue getting any of your questions answered here

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    welcome Dave.

5. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks guys! Yes, the 348 and 355 are the ones on the radar right now, and the more I read on both the later 348 is the the one I’m really leaning on. A friend of mine has a pretty mint 94 348 Spider, and I’m going to spend more time with that car over the coming months to really get a better feel of the it. And being a mechanical guy, I’ll get it up on the lift too to check it out underneath. Looking forward to posting up and thank you for the welcome.

Cheers
    Dave

6. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Welcome! If you are a knowledgeable mechanic (and it sounds like you are) you shouldn't have any issues working on a 348. I had a '90 348ts that was an awesome car to drive. It is a true driver's car!

7. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thank you! I'm going to take a spin in my friend's 348 next week. Looking forward to it!

Cheers
    Dave

8. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ok....did that, now I’m hooked. Next year after the new house is done I’ll be buying one. Oh man....what a fun ride!!!:)

Cheers
    Dave