Maserati Khamsin | Page 294 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi

I think someone once told me that if an insurance company has paid out for a claim then the property rights essentially are with them. They’d have the right to recover the car and the current owner loses out. Not sure how this applies elsewhere but I think the above was true in the UK.

Bal

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7327 Nembo1777, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Hi Carmine,

Glad to hear.

I will contact those who possess 1260 today.

The "music devil" had cars as horrible as his personality, at least the car he still had when you went to see him. That thing is now in Holland or Flemish Belgium with a chap who wanted to convert it to 5 speed.

Finishing two (non Maserati) books in parallel by Xmas, then another Maserati book contract is being discussed, can't talk about it -so please no questions here or by PM/email-but if it is confirmed then it will be announced.
    Novel? Well I know what I want to write but have too much work now to tackle that and it will take years.

Enjoying life with my "Khamsin in Louboutins" when we both have a day free and swimming at the lake every day:)

All the best,

Marc

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Post 7324 by "Khamsin2012"

Hello Marc, Ben here, owner of the now grey Bamford car and another basket case early (flat nose) auto Khamsin. Currently having a bit of a nightmare as both cars were in bits at a garage where there was a management fall-out. They have been very helpful getting the bits together (the grey one now with Emblem to finish) but in the process they have lost the internals to the clutch slave cylinder (which was in to have a leak sorted). I don't suppose anyone knows if the slave cylinder is common to any other car? Or perhaps have the technical drawings for the piston so I can get one made? I think the only other solution would be if another Khamsin owner would consent to have their taken apart for a machine shop to copy when next in for servicing.
    Any help/knowledge/suggestions welcome!

-Ben welcome to the forum, good to hear from you!

I recopied your one and only post because it had gotten drowned in the middle of my previous post somehow. FYI you can correct such problems by editing your post: this can be done within ten minutes of posting. Jus click on the edit button at bottom left, then once you have done your edits click on save changes.

I am glad you got your cars out of that mess because sometimes people lose their cars like that.

There are several very technically minded people here who should be able to help you, that is not my domain. Best of luck. Let us know when you have a chance how things go on the other one, the "challenging project".

Best regards,

Marc

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bob,

It would be worth a lot more if it was legal, but yes that one is a VERY unloved car in need of lots of TLC.

To answer a recent question and alo Bal's comment I do not know what the legal situation is regarding stolen cars. I will ask someone who should know.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks for that link however let us please stay on topic here, anyone wishing t get involved with those threads should do so there not here.

7. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Still putting #393 back together.
    Could some one please give me the max and min dimensions for the oil level on the dipstick, from where it site on the top of the tube in the oil tank ?
    Ben, I have a spare clutch cylinder which has high leakage, but will enable you to make one.
    Neil.

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Over here, if the victim settles with the insurance company and get's paid then the insurance company owns the car. He gives up his position. I don't know that this works internationally though. I do know of a fellow who work for Bosch in Germany and had a Ghibli Cup while there. He got transferred and left the car with a used car dealer on consignment. The dealer went bankrupt and the local municipality seized everything for non payment of something? That car was resold and he lost everything. That was his story at any rate. He couldn't get the authorities to cooperate at all. The car was sold to a new "legal" owner.

There's a very famous collector and I beleive he's a Mexican who has a fabulous collection of cars with some of them at his huge place in Marin County, Ca. The local Maserati club or it might have been The Candy Store (http://www.candystoreclub.com/tour.cfm) got a look see at his estate and collection. Apparently it's to die for ... The story relayed to me by a very good friend is that Mercedes wanted one of his only one in the world special examples for a display in Germany on loan. He was so worried about not getting it back that he made them send a car of equal stature from their museum to him before hand so as to secure the eventual return of his.

It's a wild and wicked world out there ...

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks for the legal knowledge Bob.

One Khamsin owner recently contacted me (he reads here) about carpet colors etc...I was more worried that the workshop where he had his car seemed in trouble...a bit like what happened to Ben recently (or the example you mention in Germany), thankfully in Ben's case he was able to get his cars out of there...

10. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Bob,

That’s exactly the same in the UK, the legal ownership passes to the insurers once they’ve paid out. So if a car comes to light in the future and the insurers get wind of it they can claim the property back and the then current owner loses out.

Bal

11. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb

12. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb
    Hello Niel, thanks for responding. Are you in the UK? I work at sea and am currently away until the end of September . My car is currently with Emblem in Bournemouth. Looking at the parts sheet there are 2 types of cylinder, one with a straight cylindrical pot and one with a 'stepped' pot, mine appears to be the stepped one (the car is registered 1982 so is one of the later cars). Does this look like the one you have? Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Regards,

Ben

13. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If it was a car you really loved and was in terrific condition then hopefully you got compensated properly. Still, it doesn't seem fair and personally I think you should be able to buy it back from the insurance company for what they paid out to you.

What a pipe dream right?

Bob S.

15. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Hello Ben,
    Yes, my spare is the same as that.
    Have you tried Pleiades in Sawtry ?
    Neil.

16. Jeremy Wilson

Jeremy Wilson Rookie

Oct 6, 2009
    #7342 Jeremy Wilson, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7343 Nembo1777, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    View attachment 2587632 View attachment 2587633 View attachment 2587634 Hi Jeremy, AM120066 owned by ZB dean of a University in the Bordeaux area where you saw it, great guy speaks perfect English. He bought it in Modean whre it had been on the cover and in a large article in a major Italian Classic car magagzine.
    He very fondly remembers driving it flat out from Modena to Bordeaux right after he bought it. You met him since you were both at KHAMSIN QUARANTA sinx years ago. Here an extract of his comments:)

Your feelings, thoughts about driving it, living with it?

I'm always impressed with the torque and power of this engine (I also used to have an Indy 4900 America). First time I drove a Khamsin, 14 years ago, I remember sharply how the roadholding was stunning for a car of that weight (and age). I remember I said to myself then : "I got to have one sooner or later !". Which happened... 12 years later !

Your favorite anecdote or best driving memory (these cars are about emotions!)?

When I bought 066, I drove it overnight from Modena to Bordeaux, France (1300 km, from 6.00 PM to 5.00 AM !!!) and it's been a hell of a nice run. The car went just wonderful and boy, it's the kind of kick you never forget for over a lifetime !

22-Problems had : problems ? What problems ???

View attachment 2587635

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Oops sorry, I confused both dark blue smooth nose cars in western France but I hope the above post is enjoyable:): the photos you posted Jeremy are NOT showing 066 but AM120-074 sold new by French importer Thepenier.

Here are the Thepenier notes I received from its very helpful registrar: 6/09/74 Bouabdallah radio Blaupunkt, metallic blue, white, very long registration delay (3 months) sold for 64000F plus a traded in Indy 4.9.
    I have never heard of a singer with that name but who knows. The current owner who lives in the Charente region , western France, wanted to come to KHAMSIN QUARANTA six years ago but he is a Colza producer and it was harvest time. A very original car, note the 4900 in the number plate, not easy at all in France to obtain any sort of personnalisation.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb

20. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb
    Thanks Neil, I think Emblem have tried Pleiades (I have used them before with a steering rack issue) but they don't have any spares (Eurospares also a blank), the empty cylinder is now with McGraths to see if they can do anything. Happy to negotiate if you would be willing to sell or loan your unit. Always a difficulty with such a rare car. The restoration project I have has thrown up a couple of very difficult parts to get, one being the plastic fuel filler cap which I think I'm going to have to have 3-D printed using my other one as a template. Unfortunately the project is an auto so no use in the clutch problem.
    Another part missing from the project was the boot and fuel release lever, initial investigation found it also common to a Countach (so was looking expensive!) but then also turned out to be common to a Fiat X19, so a bit cheaper (£100) and easier to find!

Ben

21. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Ben,
    Will take my cylinder to McGraths.
    Could you get Emblem to measure the max and min dimensions on the dipsticks..
    I measured one, bought a new one and the marks differ wildly, so I need a sample of more than two !
    Neil.

22. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb
    Thanks Neil, that would be an enormous help. I will ask Emblem right away about the dipstick. Let me know if you are missing any other bits (you were after a window trim to copy recently?), I found quite a few common parts when trying to find the missing bits on my project car.

Ben

23. flo

flo Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
    for parts maybe check here http://www.partscollector.com/
    if you search for parts also look for bertone cars of that age. aka alfa montreal etc. fiat x19 you mentioned there are some more
    for example the door handles should be 1 series alfa montreal also the release for trunk and fuel,release
    kind regards
    flo

24. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb
    Thanks Flo. Neil, here are 2 pics of the dipstick from my Khamsin from Emblem "Pictures attached of the engine oil tank dipstick on your Khamsin, it’s approx. 166mm from the bottom of the stick to the mark.", hope this helps, let me know if you need any other measurement.

Ben Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login