All Electric F1: Will you watch (POLL) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

All Electric F1: Will you watch (POLL)

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Aug 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will you watch an all electric F1 series?

1. Yes

9.6%
  2. No

90.4%
  1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, you have to take it as it: a childish provocation to get a reaction, and possibly someone banned for speaking his mind.

Talking about pollution ...

kraftwerk likes this.
  2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Well that’s great your a real saint.

Bas likes this.
  3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I will watch only when they can run a complete 200 mile race at full speed on a single charge.

Jakuzzi and Bas like this.
  4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    200 miles of bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, bzzzzzzzzzzzzz, bzzzzzzz, bzzzz, bzzz. Mmmm, don’t think anyone will ever stay awake for 200 Miles, 200 metres would be a challenge

Bas likes this.
  5. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Karting

Jun 16, 2013
    Let's see, it's the very same politicians that up to a couple years ago legislated to promote diesel cars. In France at one point 60% of new cars were diesel, now suddenly they are evil and dirty and have to be banned.
    Do I trust these politicians to have done their homework this time around, when pushing battery electrics as the only, universal cure-all solution to mobility? Hmm, let's see... No.

CO2 doesn't cause any ailments, luckily isn't noxious. Otherwise drinking carbonated water would be a serious health hazard...

NEP and Bas like this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    So that's a no then

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    William, I'm sorry...but you're living in fantasy land. 90% of F1's followers will leave. There won't be replacement fans. Those people are simply not interested in racing. They'll see a problem with those E cars wasting precious electricity, getting the whole circus around the world for a pointless exercise.

Get it out of your head that electricity automatically means clean energy. It's a pipe dream.

stavura likes this.
  8. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I agree Bas. I wrote to my MP some months ago on the electrification of the pass car world, and advised him that its foolish to pursue electrification when the nation has not addressed the production of electrical energy. For my simple marketing work, I looked into the UK power plant market and the UK doesn't have a lot of electrical production. And the lead time on a nuclear power plant is something like 20 years. No new coal fired plants, and nothing on natural gas which is still the cleanest available non-renewable source out there.

Forecasts I've seen indicate that 20% max of new cars will be electric in the future. And as Marchionne said not so long ago, electric cars are no cleaner than what is currently in production.

I hope F1 is smart enough to forget this hybrid stuff, and just go back to simple, cleaner and far more efficient internal combustion engines.

A friend advised me that consultancy firm has a prototype ICE engine on test that is 1/3 more efficient than anything on the market today. And I saw yesterday a new technology which digitally controls the intake valves, and if I remember, will post the link a bit later.

I think ICE petrol and diesel engines can be made more mechanically and fuel efficient, and cleaner.

stavura, JLF and Bas like this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Looking forward to the article, Dom.

JLF likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Politicians are infuenced by the evidences presented to them by scientiists and the medical profession.
    Think about it; why would they bring irrational legislation just to get the public against them if there wasn't a good reason?
    People, I must say, are narrow minded and only want to hear what suits them.
    CO2 and diesel particules are harmful; this has been amply demonstrated.
    There will always be people who refute evidence and prefer to bury their head in the sand.
    To this day, there are still people, for example, who don't accept the link between Tobacco and lung cancer. Duhhhhhhh
    Reducing pollution and toxic emission is a good thing, IMO.
    A politician who proposes it will get my vote.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

For the last 50 years+ that I have been following the car industry, I kept hearing about new types of ICE engines, new distribution system, different type of valve train, different cycles, even the 5-stroke engine. I am sure the auto industry has been aware of these inventions, and had a look at them. For most of the time, only money was needed to develop the concept according to their inventors.
    I haven' seen any of these new types of engine being adopted by the car makers, so allow me to be slightly skeptical .

But you are right about petrol and diesel car made cleaner. There are already solutions that have been succesfully tested on the bench.
    They consist in capturing exhaust fumes, burning them, filtering the residues and releasing only non toxic gases.
    These systems have one fault apart from the added cost: they are heavy and voluminous.
    On a VW Golf, for example, the exhaust epuration system would add up to 150kg to the weight of the car, and take all the luggage space.
    Unless they manage to "miniaturise" this epuration system, it's a no-go as far as the car industry goes.

kraftwerk likes this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Electricity means clean energy AT THE POINT OF USE, is what I said.

13. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    NEP, G. Pepper and Bas like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    But it's still just moving the problem. It's not solving anything except making the air a little bit nicer for people that live in cities. This is a classic case of governments claiming to have solved an issue, when all they've done is swept the dirt under the rug.

daytona355 likes this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  16. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Some good points, I worked on the supplier side of the automotive industry (both over the road and on the road). Nothing too fancy but was involved in the early development of solenoid actuated automatic transmissions. I even worked for a wanna be auto trans developer who spent a lot of money, and never went into production. Partly the design, partly the guys doing the design and partly the technology, it was past its sold by date.

But one thing is for sure, car makers don't take risk. They want to be fast followers but the initiators of new technology. If you look at electro-hydraulic / electric steering, the Chrysler 300 was to have (from memory) electro-hydraulic or electric steering in 1988 or 1989, and it didn't happen. And it took another 15 years or so before this new technologies were put into production.

Remember how long it took airbags to go from development to production, literally 30 years. And a lot of money spent.

william likes this.
  17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's very interesting!

As to eF1, only when they can complete a full grand prix race distance and are setting faster laps than the ICE/hybrids. If it isn't an objective improvement, it isn't the pinnacle of motorsport.

Glad to see some of you guys discovering Moto GP. I've subscribed to VideoPass since they started it, and watch all three races. The Moto 2 bikes sound better than the F1 cars.

18. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I started watching MotoGP a few years back and then the main broadcast channels dropped it. I can only get it now live when Eurosport Deutschland run it live which is once every few races. At least its interesting to watch, plenty of passing, and excitement.

19. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    That statement alone has caused me to ignore anything you say from now on.

Politicians are influenced by what keeps them in power and fills their wallet.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  20. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    NO.

Bas and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  21. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    You can't subscribe at motogp.com ?

22. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Does ICE stand for Internal Combustion Engine? If so, why not write it instead of using an acronym? Not to offend people here, but the constant use of acronyms and lack of proofreading denotes a lack manners. :)

23. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Using ICE instead of writing it out might possibly be laziness, but it has nothing to do with manners.

Bas, william and Jakuzzi like this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Moving a problem to a place where it doesn't affect anymore is a good solution, IMO.
    We do it all the time !!!

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What keep politicians in power are the people who vote for them;.

When they step out of line, they get replaced, in my country at least.

"You can fool some people sometimes, but you cannot fool everybody all the time", or words to that effect.