550 Maranello: Exhaust ideas | FerrariChat

550 Maranello: Exhaust ideas

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by mbyormark, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    Hello everyone,
    While driving my 550, sometimes I'd hear a metallic rattle. I figured the sound would be from a loose bolt on the exhaust. But upon having it looked at, I found out the central exhaust silencer/muffler needs to be replaced. This isn't something that needs to happen now, but I'm curious about options.

These are the options I can think of at the moment:
    1) Just replace the part.
    2) Central silencer/muffler delete and straight pipe from the cats to the left and right mufflers.
    3) install high-flow cats, do a central silencer/muffler delete and straight pipe from the cats to the left and right mufflers

Has anybody ever done anything like options 2 or 3? If so, what were the results? Obviously, the car will be a lot louder, but any thoughts on how this effect the car's value or performance? Also, does anyone have any ideas about how much these options differ from one another in regards to cost?

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I deleted the center resonator and replaced it with straight pipes to the rear section it was a yawner as far as noticing any difference in sound or performance seat of the pants wise.

mbyormark likes this.
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The real research on the 550 exhaust is from the banned guy on the other forum. Search for it. He has the best quality solution. Personally, I'm happy with stock just under 500hp. Being an old guy driving a GT car the last thing I want is exhaust noise to say hey "I'm over here."

4. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    My 550 rule is men over 50, bold, and/or have grey hair need to lay off the loud exhaust sounds. It will make them look ridiculous. The 550 alone with stock mufflers is all you need. Women are exempt from that rule.

MRY, SirPouyan and F456M like this.
  5. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    Haha, what's the rule for men in their late 20s?

Also, should have mentioned, when I bought my car a previous owner had already put on Tubi Exhaust.

6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have had about six different set-ups on my 550. Now I have Hyperflow sports catalyzers (causes no SLOW DOWN messange) + Quicksilver X-pipe + OEM rear mufflers. First of all I would say that the central muffler/resonator might be good to have if you plan to run continiously at 150 mph. which is no problem in Europe. It takes away quite a bit of sound at high revs. In my opinion, it is just a piece of s*it and is absolutely not needed. The car will not make much more noise when you take it off at normal cruising revs or at idle. The sports silencers give some more sound to the car but not very noticable either. It is the rear mufflers what are the real silencer. In fact, these silencers are quite good and makes the right tone/sound for the car, they are very well build and they are very restrictive... So if you want more sound on low revs, put on some sport mufflers or just put on a Ypipe instead of them. If you want more sound also at high revs, replace the center section too. If you want more power and sound at high revs and still have a comfortable Ferrari without drone (resonance), keep your rear mufflers with the valves (when closed, they give you noticable more low rev power/torque) and change to good «muted» sportscar sound when open and the frequenzy rises due to higher revs. This is my opinion, and I have driven many 550s. If you like, you can buy my Hyperflow Cats and center for resonable money, as I am going with a totally different exhaust this winter.

mbyormark likes this.
  7. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Men in their late 20s can do anything they damn please to get it out of their system and not do crazy things when they're over 50.

mbyormark likes this.
  8. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Drive maturely if that means you also date 35+y/o successful classy women? Otherwise there is a 488 for you...

9. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I echo Dave's findings. Maybe there is 15hp there with a tubi and that will push you over the magic 500hp. I did that with my 1st 550. My 2nd (current) 550 is stock. Because there was so little difference I did not have the energy to make the change. There is significant weight savings going not OEM. On this board I weighed it all for you. I don't know where that data is but you can search for it. I have a 550 tubi now and just left my car that way. If I ever get the energy to make a racy change I would do Fiammmmenghi Engineering headers and center resonator delete with the dual H pipe and my tubis. More likely, I would stay legal and copy Fiammmmenghi's center delete pipe and run my 550 tubis. Straight pipes make more power but the dual H takes out the drone of the 550 tubi. 575 tubi does not have the drone supposedly but that's not what I have. I could make the center resonator delete in about 2 hours and so far I'm just too lazy to do it.

If I was an experimenter and wanted power and noise and big weightloss I would make a real center muffler and straight pipes out the back.

Wow! This board really does not like this past banned user. You can't even mention his name hence the 4 m's I put in his name. What is next burning books? Sorry for the PR detour.

F456M and mbyormark like this.
  10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Here's one of those threads: Question about 550 X-pipe exhaust mods

mbyormark likes this.
  12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  13. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Thanks to everyone for your advice. It is very useful and I will now check out the local tire shops to see what is available.

John

14. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    Thanks everyone for the ideas! When it comes time to actually make a change, I'll post my updates here.

In the mean time, if anyone has any additional suggestions, let me know!

15. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    That's interesting, do you have the stock Left and right mufflers?

Also, do you mind if I ask if the cost for straight piping was similar to replacing the center resonator?

16. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, I still have the stock mufflers, as I recall the cost of the two center pipes was around $800, They were from Bradan

mbyormark likes this.
  17. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    Good to know! And that's perfect, because I happen to use Bradan too.

18. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    Does anyone have any experience with putting high flow cats on?

19. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi Carl,
    I replaced the resonator with straight thru pipes made at a muffler shop. The resonance was so bad that I went back to the resonator. But it seems if I put in a couple of cross pipes to convert the straight pipes an H-pipe that the resonance would be gone? Are there particular placement locations for the cross pipes?

20. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    I concur!
    Same as my 550 with x pipe and sport mufflers that are valved, Kreissieg Titanium setup....works best for sport sound and then shut off the valves when you would like some peace and quite

F456M likes this.
  21. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Are you running 1st gen tubis aka 550 tubis?

22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right, FBB.

Jim, the first generation Tubis will have no embossing on them. A few are embossed 550. The second generation Tubis are embossed 575. I have straight center pipes and second generation Tubi mufflers on my car and there is no resonance...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  23. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    Good to know, I'll have to take a look.

A few questions:
    What kind of power gains did you notice from straight piping to the tubis?
    How much weight was lost by doing this?
    What was the difference with the sound?

24. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Hi Michael,

I didn't dyno my car before or after I went from the stock configuration to center straight pipes and second generation Tubis. My straight pipes were made up for me in 321 Stainless Steel nine years ago, prior to Bradan making them available but the dyno graph I posted last week should apply to my car as well.

FBB did a weight comparison several years ago: 550 exhaust...so I got bored today

The result was a pleasant burble at idle, no resonance at highway speeds, and an aggressive growl when I get on the gas pedal.

Barry

F456M and mbyormark like this.
  25. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    Good stuff, thanks Barry!