348 Speedo Issue | FerrariChat

348 Speedo Issue

Discussion in '348/355' started by tr0768, Aug 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    My 1994 348 spider speedo on occasion when starting up cold the needle does not move nor does the odometer advance. Then after a few miles the needle will bounce up and then back to zero. After a few times of bounding up and down it will finally register correctly and continue to do so. It seems after a couple of days of inactivity, the problem occurs.

My question, where is the speedo sending unit located? Does anyone have a photo of the location? Can this sending unit be changed from the top side?

thnx in advance,

tr0768

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Item 29 on this Ricambi diagram...

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/348-group/348-1989-1992/gearbox-covers.html

It's on the gearbox casing. I suspect access will be similar to the 355 sender. Most folks take the left rear wheel off and remove the wheelarch liners (but some say they can do it with the car on a hoist ... or similar... from below). A special socket may need to be fabricated if the sender is too firmly screwed in.

Tutorial here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kufk5c92mfqd50n/To1XNeSKVT/Ferrari%20DIY?preview=F355+Speed+Sensor+Replacement.pdf

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    paulchua likes this.
  4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    You can see and access the connectors without taking anything off for the 348, just lean into the engine compartment you will see the sensor just in front of the drive shaft.

If you need to take it out, looks like you could do it from underneath, as suggested above.

In the first instance I'd check the connectors, its in a fairly exposed location.

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The speed sensor signal goes through the 9-pin connector at the left side of the engine compartment, just in front of the shock tower (the first picture shows a better AMP connector installed on my car). Perhaps cleaning of the pins and sockets of the connector will solve the problem.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  6. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    I had the exact same symptoms with my car and solved the problem with a new sending unit. I was able to change mine from the top without removing anything because a) I have long skinny arms and b) the old sender was not screwed in excessively tight.

BTW, there are rumors that you can use a Maserati sender which will work and is much cheaper, but I was never able to find one in stock so I ended up going with a genuine Ferrari part $272.

Pangea likes this.
  7. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Hey Miroljub, might you have a part # for that nice looking Amp connector? thanks in advance....

8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    These are the suitable replacement AMP 9-pin plugs/sockets. Slightly bigger flange than the original but easy to enlarge the hole and drill new small holes for the screws. I bought the first one on the picture as it has two thicker pins, one of which I used for the wire to the starter solenoid (high current); it does not seem easy to find it again. The second one can also be used, all 9 pins are the same size (as in the original connector).

The third one (Cannon) looks like it can be used to replace the original door connectors. I bought two sets but have not tried to install them yet; they look like they will fit in but who knows - may be a bit too long for the available space when the door is closed. I have also attached the 1st pic in pdf for better clarity.

Attached Files:

Qavion and Koenig1 like this.
  9. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I love this idea for the door plug.

sjd

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Awesome, could you let me know the part number and where to buy?

Cheers

11. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Thanks again Miroljub...

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Where do you guys find this stuff!

13. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    I bought mine from Ricambi. Their part number was 116987 Sensor/Speedo (Giallo=12v). But I'm pretty sure that is not the Ferrari part number.

And it looks like you'll need one of the crush washers to go with it.

paulchua likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks so much!

15. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yes, 116987 is indeed the proper Ferrari part number. We keep them in stock, and available here: https://www.ricambiamerica.com/116987-sensor-speedo.html

paulchua likes this.
  16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Great price too.

When I needed one about 3 or 4 years ago, they weren't available. Except from doze guys in califoria. But they wanted like $700 bucks.

paulchua likes this.