355 Selling Advise | FerrariChat

355 Selling Advise

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Doc Bro, Jun 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc Bro

Doc Bro Rookie

Jan 17, 2015
    Hi everyone.

I am considering selling my 355CH and I was wondering what the best approach would be for doing that. I'm considering brokerage and auction (not ebay!) as my primary 2 strategies. If auction is the best venue then what is the best "brand" within the auction arena for this type of car, Barret, Sotheby's etc.? If brokerage is a better outlet then are there any recommendations for a broker?

Thank you in advance!

Rob

2. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’m no expert by any means, so take my thoughts accordingly.

I have been to many of the big name auctions over the years - RM, Christie’s, Gooding - and I just can’t see a 355 doing well there. Unless your car is extremely rare in some way or has exceptional race history and provenance, bidders at these events will pass. With the limited inspection ability and the relative availability of the 355, it’s just not worth it for a buyer to take one from there unless they are getting a screaming deal. Good for them, not for you.

I don’t know much about the broker market, but consignment with a dealer can be a great way to go. Some have a great reputation and history of dealing in challenge and GT cars. For example, Universal Autosports always seems to have great examples on offer.

Sorry if I sound discouraging, but the reality of the matter is that the 355 Challenge, unless exceptional in some fashion, just isn’t going to be a draw, and will take patience to sell without discounting for a quick sale.

3. Doc Bro

Doc Bro Rookie

Jan 17, 2015
    Rosso- thanks for the reply- I appreciate the insight. I've never been to a big auction but from what I've seen on TV the environment never seemed like something I would take time out of my very busy life to go to.

My car is unique in that it is one of the 3 Tommy Hilfiger liveried cars that was originally owned by Laurence Stroll (Lance Stroll's father), and is a registered and titled '95- but, that seems better mentioned by a broker that at auction according to your line of thinking?

Rob

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Broker is the only way to go on a 355 ch, Very unique market. Even listing it here on Fchat is a good thing.
    I only own ferrari challenge cars the street versions are of no interest to me.

:)

5. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Doc hello, now you are ready to sell. What are you asking for your Baby?

Its a unique pice, for sure, like the livery.

What is the condition now?

Greetings

6. Doc Bro

Doc Bro Rookie

Jan 17, 2015
    Thanks for the input everyone. After exploring multiple options, we will be brokering the car shortly.

To answer the question, the car is in excellent unrestored condition- wearing its original paint.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB, KMR968Turbo and slracing like this.
  7. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Have you thought of selling it back to Mr Stroll? If one of my classic cars came back on the market I sure would be delighted to be offered owning it onces again.
    Good luck selling

8. Doc Bro

Doc Bro Rookie

Jan 17, 2015
    It's funny that you mention that, Yes, I have tried to reach out to him…Believe it or not it's hard to get in touch with a Canadian billionaire. All attempts to contact have been unreturned. Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 6Speed 430

6Speed 430 Karting

Jul 6, 2012
    PM/conversation sent