CS-style carbon air box for 360 | FerrariChat

CS-style carbon air box for 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by bestgun, Aug 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bestgun

bestgun Karting

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    Karl Sluis
    Does anyone know of there is an OEM look CS-style carbon air box available that will fit the stock 360? One that looks exactly the same as that fitted to the CS (with ribs in the top) but with the smaller 3 1/4” intake tubes?? Cheers and thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    What your describing is the very rare factory option for carbon engine zone which included the carbon airboxes which look like what is fitted to the Challenge Stradale. Some have made aftermarket copies now.

The carbon boxes and engine dress (anodized blue) upgrades are actually a 360 Modena optional parts. Not CS specific.

In the CS case the lids are slightly modified to accommodate the larger air flow meters shared with F430/599 which screw on rather than use clips. These yield a few more hp at near max rpm that Modena's smaller AFM's (with appropriate remap).

3. bestgun

bestgun Karting

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    Karl Sluis
    Cheers and thanks 360trev, great info and much appreciated. Any idea who’s making the aftermarket “copies”?

4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    RTuned has the CS type that fit a CS. However, they told me they can or have them to fit the regular Modena with the smaller MAFs. I'll find the info and PM you

5. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Hi Wally,
    Plz post info on the CS air boxes.
    Cheers

6. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Only info I have is a conversation between Richard Ho with RTuned and myself. He basically said the flange could be removed either by RTuned themselves or cut off by the end user and a typical silicon coupling could be used to connect the MAF to the box. At the time of the conversation, they did not have a CS lid for a non-CS car.

Just for giggles, I did put the 360 MAF on the CS air lid box (flanged) using a large O-ring to seal the gap and it seemed to work. The longer neck of the CS lid was able to hold tension on the MAF to close the gap. Not sure if it was "sealed" so to speak. Good for pics but, I'm not sure I would leave it that way.

7. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I bought a set from rtuned and they looked great but I sold the car before installing. I then sold them to another FChat member. I have some pics in a for sale thread a while back.

8. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
  9. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    AFAIK there is no company offering carbon versions of the CS airboxes. The R-tuned ones as seen in the photos from the previous link are actually fiberglass with a thin layer of carbon on the outside to give the carbon look. I realize our covers do not have the CS ribs but they are 100% carbon and have a perfect finish that beautifully compliment the engine bay of the 360. Feel free to contact us for Fchat special pricing if you are interested in getting a set.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bob in Texas likes this.
  10. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    As someone who had Carbonio lids and who currently has RTuned CS copies, I feel that I am in a position to comment on this. First off, both companies offer outstanding products and each has areas that I feel can be improved on. Now, in my discussions with Richard Ho of RTuned, I asked him detailed questions concerning his process for manufacturing CF parts. Below is an excerpt from an email between Richard and myself in which I questioned the manufacturing process and if their product is CF over fiberglass.

"Our production is vacuum prepped. We also use a mesh type of high grade fiberglass which is ultra thin and like a net type. not what you usually get on common FRP products. This is highly durable and strong material. If you want pure carbon fibre we can produce but you will be paying double. 95% of our customers are very happy with our grade carbon fibre as it is totally different to what is out there in the market. "

Now, as I said, I currently have the RTuned CS lids and I can tell you that the backside is indeed painted gloss black. However, I can see the weave of the carbon through the thin mesh Richard mentioned above. With the Carbonio lids, you could see the CF weave on the backside clearly. It was obviously sealed somehow, possibly with fiberglass resin as there were thin stands of seemed to be fiberglass present. When I held the RTuned lids up to a light, in some areas there was bleed through reminiscent of a LiteBox toy I had as a kid. Doing the same experiment with the Carbonio lids, resulted in similar bleed through just not quit as much.

I have seen some pieces of fiberglass with a CF overlay and am not impressed. In my opinion, this is not what the CS lids are from RTuned.

Just to add to the flames, here are some weights that I gathered....

715g OEM airbox lid
    310g Carbonio CF lid (w/o silicon connector)
    440g RTuned CF lid (longer neck and flanged)

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  11. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom

I can tell you first hand from having R Tuned lids, they are junk. They crack at the base often and if you look, you can see light through the underside of the box. As with most things said to be carbon fiber, they are just overlays. I've unfortunately purchased this crap before I knew what I was getting into.

Carbonio is slightly a better finish. Though I've only seen these and not used them personally. The MAF's from a CS will work on a regular R Tuned lid. Though it will be very difficult to stretch the silicon sleeve over the MAF's. They are much larger than the standard 360.

I ultimately got sick of not having the correct mount to the MAF's and acquired a set of CS Lids through a friend. Once you have a set of factory carbon lids, you'll laugh at the quality of R tuned.

12. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    As I stated, I feel that I am in a unique situation where as I can compare both lids side by side. BOTH RTuned and Carbonio had light bleed through. BOTH appeared to have some type of backing other than pure CF. The finish on BOTH brands was comparable to each other.

As far as comparing to factory/OEM carbon, I agree somewhat. When comparing the quality, I would place OEM above MOST aftermarket companies--not just RTuned, except for the clear coat/lacquer/resin used but that's another issue.

Unfortunately, I don't have OEM lids and I am unwilling to spend the $4K to order them new and none of my friends have spare ones. I think it's great that you were able to source actual OEM units, but not everyone is in that same boat.

Somethings I will source aftermarket, some I will source OEM. I just received OEM carbon engine bay panels and the quality is second to none, as is the rest of the OEM carbon I have.

So, again, these are my personnel observations between the set of lids from RTuned and Carbonio that I have SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I can't comment on anyone else's personnel experiences with either company or the products they have received.

13. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I believe exotic auto recycling in Sacramento has a set for 1600 obo on eBay. But I completely agree, spending 4k for a brand new set is silly.

14. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I hope not.....