360 Won't Start | FerrariChat

360 Won't Start

Discussion in '360/430' started by traimpz348, Aug 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    When I press the key fob, instead of hearing the chirp, the hazards flash and I get the warning triangle on screen. Thoughts? Sorry if this has been posted before, I did a search and didn't find anything.

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    US or Euro car? They behave differently

3. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    US car.

4. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    Any possibility that the battery is low/old? Mine was doing the same thing when the battery went.

5. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Low battery did that to mine also.

6. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Ok - it's been a while since the battery has been replaced, so that could be it for sure. Any reset procedures I need to be aware of when I connect the new battery?

7. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I am unaware of one. Just do not jump it or you can end up with a very exspensive repair. If i had to guess-1.battery shut off switch 2.switch batteries 3. Flip battery switch on? I could very well be wrong though.

8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Can you put a volt meter across the battery terminals?

9. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    I just R&R'd the battery this weekend.
    No reset issues.
    Not a bad idea to use battery cutoff switch while swapping.

If you have a "smog test" looming and your state tests readiness monitors, consider using a method to keep the readiness monitors "alive". Often battery OFF = readiness monitors are deleted = smog test hassles.

10. Walt Gamble

Walt Gamble Formula Junior

May 22, 2014
    So recently had same issue...this worked. Open and close the engine compartment...ditto the trunk. There is a safety switch that shuts things down. Go to my threads to see the write up the heroes here saved my butt.
    Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

11. Walt Gamble

May 22, 2014
    Then investigate the battery issue as suggested by others...checking voltage doesn't mean the battery still has cranking amps

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

try pressing the remote button for a long period time, like 20 seconds

Walt Gamble likes this.
  13. Walt Gamble

May 22, 2014

That's a new one - who knew Ferrari was capable of such mischievousness, love 360s...

billy.gif likes this.
  14. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    So the battery was 5 years old, probably ready for a replacement, but that didn't work :(

Holding down the key fob for 20 seconds, just made the lights flash constantly.

Opening a and closing the engine lid and front cover didn't do anything..... this is bummer.

15. DrDoug

DrDoug Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Doug T
    3 batteries come to mind. Sounds like you already replaced the car battery. The next is the battery in the remote itself. Easy to test that if you have a spare remote fob or you can easily replace the battery in the fob with a trip to the hardware store. The 3rd battery is the alarm battery accessed from the trunk. These definitely have to replaced after several years. One clue is that the alarm light on the lower left console would stay on even after unlocking the car and disarming the alarm. Replacing the alarm battery is a fairly easy DIY which is well documented in several old threads. There is even a thread on how to wire a patch and still use the old alarm canister module. I tried that and it didn’t work for me. I ended up buying a new alarm battery canister from Ricambi and swapped it out. Everything worked fine from there. There is also a thread from long ago noting that Corvette uses a very similar alarm battery which can be attained for less cost but I elected to go with the Ricambi part. If I were you and replaced all 3 of these batteries and still had issues then it would be time to get it flatbedded to a service center.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  16. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Makes sense. Thanks Dr.Doug. I'll check the other two batteries and report back.

DrDoug likes this.
  17. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    I agree with Doug. My 360 stopped chirping and began to have other odd symptoms (most annoying: the alarm would go off after the car was safely locked). It turned out to be a weak alarm battery in the alarm siren. There are threads here as Doug mentioned on how to replace that battery. I just had the dealership put in a new alarm siren module (which contains the battery) and it fixed everything. Good luck!

18. Walt Gamble

May 22, 2014
    I was out of ideas...I'll add the alarm siren battery to my 360s are special list.

19. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    It was the alarm siren.

20. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Interesting... I just pre-emptively replaced the fob batteries and main battery (it was 4 years old) but didn't know about this alarm siren battery.

21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This is interesting...I just went to "replace" my alarm module just to find out that my car didn't have a module, just a hanging connector where a module used to be. These modules will prevent the car from starting? Can it just be removed in a pinch? Never had any starting issues, just didn t have an alarm....

22. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Someone may have just removed the siren.

23. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Removing the siren will have no effect on the car's ability to start, the only negative of not having the siren module plugged in or having it plugged in but the battery go dead is that the red LED on the lower left of your dash will constantly stay on and as you mentioned, you won't have an audible alarm anymore

24. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Then maybe I am just confused by the wording in this thread. Was there an attempt to "start" the car or just go through the preliminary steps? I wouldn't think the siren would disable the car's ability to run that was a new one on me ;)

25. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Haven't checked for the alarm siren or the alarm battery on my '03 360. I have had the car for a year now and it never did chirp. It's a US car.
    I kinda like the fact that it doesn't. The remote does the arm and disarm (lock and unlock) as well as flashing the lights.
    Never had an issue with it starting unless I forget to use it to disarm when I get in the car in the garage when it's already unlocked.