Thoughts on 430 Scuderia?? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Thoughts on 430 Scuderia??

Discussion in '360/430' started by tryii, Feb 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Not too many people are encouraging the OP to drive different models and see which one is his thing.

It comes down to the base question; Are you looking for a classy ride to occasionally take your wife out to dinner or a raw car with character that you can easily track?

Just remember to drive a 458 also before making the decision. I drove one last year and it's an experience. Very easy to handle, fast and feels like a modern supercar.

I own a stickshift 360 Modena. Last of the "analog" line of cars. Love it and will never sell it. Perhaps you should take one for a drive too. Value is holding nicely.

2. elmadi

elmadi Formula 3

Apr 25, 2009
  3. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Yes sir

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #54 freshmeat, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    The Scuderia is miles scarier than a 458 could ever be, and I say that in the most tremendously good, emotional and Ferrari way. It’s an other worldly tingle and boatloads of school girl giggles waiting to happen.

There’s just a larger sense of purpose and occasion in a Scuderia than a 458...you only need open the door and peek at the interior; one screams speed racer and the other gt, yet ironically they both share the same identical race seats simply with different upholstery...I used to get a huge laugh on fchat when I read people making outrageous claims that the 458 race seats are so much more comfortable than the Scud! little do these poor blokes realize they are exactly the same seats! lol

The way the two cars shift is also very different...the scud’s single clutch superfast is just so visceral and invigorating, you get this nice kick every time you tickle that shift paddle. The 458 DCT shifts are also a marvel, smooth and seamless but isn’t really that unique in this sea of new gen Ferraris ie feels the same in almost any other model that can be had today, try em out if you don’t believe me.

The performance topic is also one worth thinking about. The Scud offers competitive modern day performance, not the fastest thing on the road but in my books fast enough...for starters its 0-60 is the same as a 458 at 3.0s (actual road tests not magazine numbers). It does the same laptime of 1:23 at Fiorano on inferior PZero tires; there is no doubt in my mind in equal hands and equal tires it will be faster than a 458 around a track. Also, check out the “Official Scuderia Drag Thread” there are a few head-to-heads against a 458 on an airstrip.

Maintenance will be cheaper on a Scud, the electronics & sensors on a 458 are outrageously expensive! And they do go bad eventually ie require replacement. But like any Ferrari, it’s always wise to put aside money every year just in case ;)

Sound...I think with the proper modifications both sound tremendous, either will be miles better than a 488 or a Pista, anyone that says otherwise is deaf or lying to oneself...it’s not even a debate really.

Looks...I always categorized the Scud as handsome and the 458 pretty, very simply because the Scud has a bigger nod to race trim, with vents, a livery and aggressive scoops while the 458 is more curvaceous, sculpted elegance and daintier/feminine curves.

For the F1 fan in me, I also just geek out and strike a very emotional bond with the Scud because the great Michael Schumacher helped develop the car...every time I get behind the wheel I feel just a bit closer to my hero and get to admire and enjoy a small bit of his genius. The frickin name of the car alone is the F1 team itself, that’s just cool! It’s all there that race pedigree & heritage.

5. elmadi

elmadi Formula 3

Apr 25, 2009

Same here... I love the Scud especially it has the DNA development of Schumi.

By the way, do you happen to know why the US version Scud have the blank switch plate in a cluster below the AC vent (see pic)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    OP,
    I think you've gotten some very good advice, it really comes down to what you want in the car? I have been wanting a Ferrari all my life and I just recently fulfilled that dream, picked up a F430. I too was looking very seriously at a Scud, especially since I believe they will hold there value more than a 458 and 430. I know ppl say just buy a car and don't worry about the depreciation but I've worked hard for my money. I ended up getting a great deal on a f430 that had all the options that I wanted. For me having the Ferrari was about the driving experience, and like others have said the Scud is a drivers car, raw, it is on all the time. Thats the draw of the Scud but that is also what make the car hard to be a daily driver or a car to take your wife out to dinner with. Also because the Scud is more of specialty car you might feel guilty of putting too much miles on it, therefore you might be better off getting a f430, pricing wise, these are really soft right now. My friend several years ago bought a 360CS and he's hardly driven the car because of worrying about value. So get the car that moves your heart and you won't be disappointed. Having a opportunity to buying a ferrari is an awesome thing!

Stephen W. and Mikael-F360 like this.
  7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    If takin your wife to dinner at a nice restaurant is the main purpose of the Ferrari purchase I don’t think either the 458 or scud is the ideal choice...personally, I’d get an F12 / 812Superfast / California or any other GT out there...better yet a Bentley or a Rolls, also makes it easy for your female passenger to maneuver in dresses / skirts.

From personal experience, if my female friend asks to go out in the Ferrari I know she is also looking for the same kind of exhilaration and occasion I the driver expects of it...and it’s usually through wine country or longer trips with scenic and/or open roads. Restaurants, clubs, nightlife etc in general the Scud is hardly ever a top request.

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  8. tryii

tryii Rookie

Feb 13, 2018
    South Barrington, IL
    Full Name:
    Terry R. Yormark II
    Can't thank you guys enough. Your knowledge and willingness to share is so very much appreciated.
    Reading these threads only enhances my excitement as the days pass until my 1st purchase.
    T

9. tryii

tryii Rookie

Feb 13, 2018
    South Barrington, IL
    Full Name:
    Terry R. Yormark II
    Since so many have commented about dinner trips with the wife I should mention she is NOT a car person and we would go to dinner in our Mercedes GLS or Tesla S75D (love it), so this would strictly be for a fun car and to fulfill a childhood dream.

LARRYH likes this.
  10. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    If you have a car you love since new it can be like a marriage - if you have really good memories attached and you have the ability to keep it in perfect shape

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The Scuderia has some appeal as a "classic" and "radical" car, but I am really convinced the 458 is a better car. And it is faster on a track too, in spite of whatever could be claimed...
    Since tracking does not seem to be the goal anyway, a V12 should be seriously considered. Both 599 and F12 are really mighty cars, if you drive them it will be obvious they are not soft GT cars.
    An F12 will be faster than a Scuderia in any conditions btw...

12. makethemsaywow

makethemsaywow Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    SF, CA
    I loved my Scud. Make sure to test drive a 458; 9000RPM + next-gen handling and controls and transmission and refinement may sway you.

13. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    What if any, would you place a "value" deduction for a Scud that has the standard 430 leather interior, dash, seats, all of it ? Seems like it would be worth less than a same exact with the alcantara ? What you say on this ?

14. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    I too drive the 458 on the track. In fact back to back with the scud (and superleggera).

Like you, I was likely faster in the 458. Particularly because the driving aids gave me that extra assistance--that made a big difference.

For that same reason I preferred the Scud hands down! I really felt like I had to drive the Scud and really enjoyed how visceral the transmission is and generally how raw the car is. I could care less if my lap time is some fraction faster in one car vs another. It is about the experience which is pretty subjective to be fair.

The 458 is a fantastic car--don't get me wrong. However if you want something that is really an event to drive--for me that is the no fat athletic Scuderia.

If I was looking for a car to use as a daily driver or longer highway mile trips I would probably choose the 458. Even though I find the Scud reasonable comfortable--in fact I find the Ferrari racing seats to actually be more comfortable than the Daytona seats (on the 430 variant cars).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LARRYH likes this.
  15. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    I would actually value it more or at least the same. Very hard to find full leather and I believe it was quite expensive.

16. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    to answer the original question....
    it depends on what you are looking for.
    the scud is a fantastic car. but it is highly strung, harsh (not nearly as harsh as a cs tho), and can be uncomfortable (but not as bad as a cs).
    tracking it is fantastic. not as performant as a 458 or a speciale or a 488 or a pista.......but for the money, its a hoot.
    investment wise it is ok, but not an instant home run. but at least it wont bleed you.

now, here is the other piece of advice. if you have never had a car like this, please take some racing lessons at bondurant or skip barber etc.
    this car is somewhat forgiving, but it wont save you. you actually have to know what you are doing.
    better to learn on somebody else's car....

17. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    OP buy the scud already!!! I also bought my F-car at 40 in a mid-life crisis (I've had many) and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Don't even wait...buy the next one you see that you LIKE. I promise you have already waited too long!

Why the Scud? You are looking for a weekend/fun/dream car. I have not driven Speciale, but having driven Scuds, 458s, 488s, lambos, macs...the scud is the most fun car I have ever driven and it's not close. Others may feel otherwise and respect to all opinions, but the only way for *you* to know is to buy the one you're dreaming of! If you feel differently, you are not married to the car and can sell it, probably for little or no loss. Worst case you will have owned, driven and experienced an incredible car!

Bert - I am also planning/hoping to buy a scud/16M and personally I want one with leather interior. I wouldn't reject alcantara, and leather is not high on my list of wants (stock, color, mileage, overall condition, service history, etc)...But I just think it looks/feels so much nicer and the way a Ferrari should be trimmed, plus it's even more special/unique on a scud. I wouldn't put leather in a true race car, but that's not how I see Ferrari road cars, even the "race" versions because they are still (for most (not all!) owners) street cars.

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you only live once, so live fast and loud ;)

19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I disagree with the 360 being among the last of analog Ferraris. You have power steering and F1 on some, that's far from analog.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Though it's rare on this forum, there are a select few that need time to gather resources to make a $200k+ purchase....shocking right? I've been at this saving thing for 4.5 years this time around, and still need a couple more years to get to that comfort level (unless the right Boxer comes along, then all hell breaks loose). Obviously, the banker would be more than happy to finance $100k but for me, I'd rather not. In the meantime, its great to hear from those without my financial limitations to keep up the motivation to keep asking for overtime work.

On the other topic, I would not buy a car with an interior made from bath robes.....Italian leather all the way.....probably would settle for a half & half, though with leather dash and leather seats with tech fabric inserts. You do see alot of those.

21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Could be a little bit off-topic, but I really can't grasp all these things about raw, analog or whatever when talking about cars that are actually on the same development path; for me the latest car is (almost always, and logically) the best.
    So I would choose the 458 over the Scud any day, and the 488 over the Speciale (even if it's more controversial).
    Now for something really different, I just ordered a Caterham (heir of the Lotus 7) - no power steering, no antilock brakes, manual gearbox of course, no airbag, no radio, no satnav... just lightness.

22. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    I think you will find that you will love the Caterham for exactly the reasons that you mention you can't grasp above. Namely it's lack of over development and refinement is what makes it fun. I had the chance to drive one on a bit of a short course track at palmersport in England while on the same day driving much more developed and expensive cars of various types. I think the Caterham was the most fun--especially pound for pound.

RE the same development path, there are choices that are made which entail compromise. Specificallynit is not obvious they are ideal. One is the dual clutch. The trade-off is faster more refined shifts, better low speed drivability, in exchange for lighter weight and, for some, the visceral nature of the single clutch shifts. There is a lot of subjective preference that goes into these decisions--or at the very least preferences on which numbers are preferrable to optimize.

This is not to say my preference for what is better supercedes anyone else's just that what is "better " is highly subjective and lay in the eye of the beholder. Pagani chose single clutch...for home the overall trade-off swing him in that direction...

Finally in my last post I said "drive" what I meant to say is that I drove the Scud and 458 (among others) back to back. It was only 1 track day.

23. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I tend to take an even more hard line stance. I believe my pre-ABS 328 is the last truly analog Ferrari. (Cue the arguments about carbs vs. EFI... )

24. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #74 freshmeat, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    I think the term "analog" evolves with each pivotal era, but what transcends time and every era are the "analog sensations". The exact "how" may change but everyone looks for the same tingling sensations.

For me the Scuderia marks the perfect blend of firsts and lasts...first w manettino, first led shift, first ssc, last superfast single clutch, last NA engine of its kind before the direct injection stuff etc and all that come together to deliver a raw, analog experience at a competitive pace to even the latest sportscars.

25. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good point

paulchua likes this.