How Picky Is Too Picky? | FerrariChat

How Picky Is Too Picky?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FFan5, Jul 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I've got the itch to buy a 458, which would be my first F car. I've always loved the 458, had a poster of it on the wall even while owning other sports cars!

I want a white 458 with dark interior and every carbon option, including racing seats. How many do you think are out there? Am I setting myself up for failure by being specific while buying a used, custom ordered car?

2. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    Depends which country you live in or want to buy in and how far you want to travel. Lots of carbon parts can be added later (usually at greater expense).

Afonsolaw likes this.
  3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, I would second that.. you'd be much better off adding carbon fiber items aftermarket. There are plenty available and you can pick and choose it after you are comfortable with the car. Me personally, I'm not a huge fan of the "carbon all over the place" - especially not inside the car. However, that's just me. I kinda like it only here and there - and usually only if it performs better [somehow] than its metal counterpart. Again, just my personal views.

The 458 definitely looks nice in white. You can probably find a number of the two-tone jobs - either with factory black roofs or aftermarket wrapped roofs. I almost purchased a very nice two-tone car from Ferrari of SF - that is until I saw an all black one sitting next to it :)

Anyway, worry about the year and the miles, not the color and the level of carbon fiber - that's my advice. The 458 is an absolutely amazing car, but I would say get one which has really been taken care of and which has been adult owned and service via Ferrari. I like 2012+ and maybe around 5K to 7500 miles (if I were shopping).

Racing seats are nice for sure. I had full electric on mine and was initially kinda disappointed that I didn't get the racing seats. However, the first time I used the seat heaters on a cold morning, I forgot all about carbon fiber racing seats haha :)

Good luck on the search!

Ray

Melvok likes this.
  4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I should have clarified that I'm in the US.

I think a 2012+ is a must unless a deal is too good to pass up.

5. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    QueueCumber likes this.
  6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Yeah, that is pretty close to what I'm thinking! The wheels, suspension and taillights aren't my thing though. Those might be cheaper to fix than trying to add carbon to a car with none though.

7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

When the right car presents itself you will know as I did when I bought my 458. If it ticks all the boxes then go for it. Plus or minus a few dollars wouldn’t hold me back if it’s exactly what I wanted. Good luck bro , Kirk.

PS. My salesperson at Ferrari Tampa is Matt Randoff a super nice guy to work with. ( I have no affiliation with the car in question).

Afonsolaw and QueueCumber like this.
  8. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Race seats are an absolute must... I sold my 458 as I hated the stock seats.

I think if you give yourself 3 - 6 months the right one will come up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Afonsolaw likes this.
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Book a testdrive now then !

10. cb804

cb804 Karting

May 8, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Carmen B.
    There are 11 white cars listed on dupontregistry as of today. Seems to be a popular color for 458's.

11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    White with a dark interior and racing seats is not too hard of a combo to find. White is probably the 2nd or 3rd most popular color for the 458. Most white cars have black interiors, and racing seats is probably on about half of all 458 Italias.

Carbon fiber parts can be purchased aftermarket and installed without too much difficulty.

12. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    I'd leave as is personally. Looks hot! Too bad they didn't do the black shield to keep the mono theme going....

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    One thing to be aware of with white, or any Ferrari, is that on a white car that has black interior, they often do light colored stitching on the black interior and up onto the dash. It looks great on the seats, but be aware that on the dash, the lighter stitching will reflect up into the windshield when driving. Sometimes it's worse than others, but it's definitely something to be aware of. On my 458, I was in the process of redoing the dash with Alcantara and black stitching (partially for this reason), before I traded the car in.

I wish more sales people at the dealerships would tip people off to this and at least mention something about it. If they did, I think more people would spec black stitching up on the dash panels.

Ray

14. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    As having bought my 458 last year, I can say that if you have a specific set of options in mind, then take your time to find the car you want. I wanted a car with every factory carbon fiber option possible (inside and outside). I eventually found it but it took some time. As Ray and obbob said, if you are OK with adding non-OEM carbon fiber then your options open up. I specifically wanted OEM carbon fiber so I had a finite number of cars to choose from. Since the interior carbon fiber seems to be most important, you should have pretty good luck. I would also look at the 2013 and newer in order to get the 7 year factory service. Not a deal breaker, but it is nice. I will say this, if you found a 2012 with everything you want and it has the appropriate service records, then I probably wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. Again, this is my opinion and ultimately it is up to you to determine what trade-offs you are willing to accept. Good luck and happy car shopping!

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Those are good points by 338Lapua above. Service records are nice, especially from a private owner. I had extensive service records on my 458, right down to every time I changed tire PSI, etc. On the 7 year factory thing, it seems to basically boil down largely to changing air filters and oil/filter. Every other year they change the alternator belt also, which is handy. Of course, they do diagnostic checks as well.

The 458 is a very solid car, especially years 2013 and after I think. I'd be okay getting a 2012 (later production) as well. The 2010 and 2011 are the ones you gotta be careful with. Some place I might have written down when in 2011/12 they started resolving the DCT issues or you can probably locate it by searching Ferrarichat here.

For me, I had great success with my 2013 model. Very solid car. Just a joy to own.

Ray

Glp, iloveferrari and Afonsolaw like this.
  16. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I personally have a different taste, but that's an excellent point and writeup, Ray!

Very market dependable. Today in Europe, according to Autoscout24, there are 342 units of the 458 for sale, only 20 of them are white (all shades), or 5.85% of all 458s for sale today in Europe.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

17. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    After a month of searching, I found a super low miles car that fits the bill. All the carbon options I wanted, except the rear diffuser.

The biggest problem is the owner blacked out the taillights, brake lights and side markers.

Anyone have a general estimate on swapping those lights back to stock? $2k? $5k? More?

It is a white car with black side mirrors, I might want to change those to white as well, but we'll have to see it in person to tell.

I'm smitten with the car, but like to have a general idea of the size of the project I'd be undertaking.

18. Redrrari

Redrrari Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Florida
    Best advice is do not settle. You will know when you see the car that is for you. I am a big CF guy, but I would not put aftermarket CF in my car even though it would be more cost effective.

19. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Quality aftermarket carbon fiber can offer an enormous price savings over OEM bits with absolutely no compromise on quality or performance. When the difference is measured sometimes in the tens of thousands of dollars you understand why aftermarket carbon can be a great way of getting carbon that is otherwise missing from a great pre-owned car at a reasonable price point. Best of luck in your search and feel free to reach out if you need any carbon for your 458. We always work with F-chatters

Melvok likes this.
  20. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Most "black out" jobs are simply tints or vinyl wrap. You can literally peel it off with a hairdryer and your hands.

If you aren't comfortable doing that, go to any window tint or wrap shop. They might try to gouge you since they'll see it's a Ferrari but it shouldn't be more than a couple of hundred.

iloveferrari likes this.
  21. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I did buy the car, so whenever it arrives I'll try and figure out weather it is a vinyl wrap on the taillights, or something more exotic like Novitec Blackout lights.

I know the roof is paint, per the build sheet.

If the lights are Novitec, maybe someone on the forums will want to swap for OEM?

And heck, maybe I'll just like the car like it is.

Melvok likes this.
  22. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Make a list of deal breakers and non deal brakers ... when the right car pops up don’t haggle to much and just buy it!

23. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Congrats bro , post pics and don’t forget interior shots too. Best , Kirk

24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Being in the US, be patient and you’ll find the car the resonates with you. You’ll. E spending a lot of money - wait for what energizes you and get it. Don’t buy something that isn’t what you want. As for the car on elements - again, wait to find what you want. There are tons of 458 constantly popping up. It will show.

25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Did you ever drive this (new to you) 458 before signing ?