348 regular and sport seats? | FerrariChat

348 regular and sport seats?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, Aug 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Looking at 348's I noticed this one seems to have seats with less bolster. Did 348's have regular and sport seats? The tilt lever looks like the 348...

[​IMG]

2. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    The serie speciale also came with kevlar racing seats. Cant find a good pic of mine right now. Will post it later.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Right, those I know, but these seats in this yellow one don't look like every other 348 seat I have seen. The thigh and side supports are way smaller than normal. Anyone ever seen seats with such small side bolsters, even the stitching is different I am wondering if they are aftermarket.

Usually they look like this
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #4 Wade, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    There are early seats, like the one you posted, later seats and Spider seats.

Notice the differences in the seat pads and headreats.

Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2588327

Attached Files:

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    StuR likes this.
  6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is that my 348? Same colour and identical seats as mine. (mine's a Speciale)

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not sure its from a car for sale in Colorado, it was fully painted 10 years agoi and when I saw the seats I was like wait.. those are not 91 seats. So it seems off..
    [​IMG]

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  9. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    They are not.. they suck.
    Also I've discovered through a buddy who has a ss... there were apparently 3 sizes of the kevlar... skinny, medium and large...

I think i have the medium width in mine... which helps remind me of my diet.

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yeah, must be careful when sliding in and out of those deep buckets... looks like a ripper. :eek:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ernie likes this.
  11. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I can show you a bruised bum from that sucker.

My wife has a big bruise at one time too.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Pics or it didn't happen. lol I mean, sorry, no thanks.

But I hear that those seats look awesome on a shelf in the garage (i.e. wall art).

13. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Lol... ok.

They look great in car too.
    Getting mine releathered this fall.. will be interesting.

14. S-T48

S-T48 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2008
    Stevenson Ranch, CA
    Easy!!! Its was reupholstered at some point and they did a ****ty job.

15. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    LMK where you get them done.

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Those sport seats are gorgeous. I just need to decide OEM Challenge seats or the sport seats to install. Nice to have options :)

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #17 Ferrarium, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    I am looking for a 348 but these all seem like warning issues, some cars have several or all of them. That yellow car has paint, re-leather, spotty mileage history but it looks great. Like they say if its too good.....
    • painted cars
    • cars with cheap leather re-upholster
    • cars with mileage last recorded like 10 years ago reporting 50 miles more than 10 yeas ago (prob dealer plates unplugged spedo cars) and this is SUPER common, Iv'e pulled like 30 autocheck reports
    • Cars that live on the auction re-auction circuit, flip flip flip all wit no miles for like 10 years.. yeah right....
    • Cars with major service records from "bobs auto" or bmw this or euro service that...
    I have fund some cars that I traces owners back to here and found thing like they burned oil and that not selling for full boat. Getting ppi's I find is not that easy with cars in other states (la sure) but Kansas, Alabama?

The search continues, and dang later Berlinettas are hard to find. Almost seems like in today world there are 2 types, clapped out cars and pristine spendy ones.. I am sure that's not true but it sure seems like it when shopping....

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Not a lot of examples to begin with... when compared to used Jeeps or pickups. But the comparison is the same regarding condition. ;)

One option to consider, find one that is mechanically/aesthetically pleasing to you and then reestablish its baseline (i.e. forget its history).

19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yep I am fully aware of the numbers. I don't even care about miles, frankly I prefer 50K that is reasonably verifiable over a 20K that has 15 years of missing mileage history. The issue is aesthetics though. Lots of amazing looking cars blowing through 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles. A Speciale out there now with that issue actually, the aesthetic condition would not lead you to believe that. Getting PPI's for mechanical is not as easy as it sounds and doing lots ppi's get spendy. literally 80% were had at auctions and like my dad used to say, no one sells a car because it runs too good.

Anyhow that yellow one was painted, crappy redone leather and spotty mileage history and lots of owners and comes with a story about the current wealthy owner who collects them. No thanks lol.

25 or so of them there out there, its not like there are none to be had but only like 5 I'd consider and of course fetch a premium penny which is fine... Underscores the risks in buying less than a survivor in 2018 is all.

Should have bought one 10 years ago..... You lucky bastages! :)

20. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Weeeell...yes and no.

Painted is not always a bad sign. Some of us are meticulous and like to have things pretty close to perfect, or as perfect as possible considering the car's level of use. These cars are near as makes no difference to 30 years old now, and if they have been used properly you can bet there will be a few issues with the paint. Front end resprays are extremely common and benign. I'm likely going to have my entire car painted, maybe even (gasp!) a different color. Why? Because I can and it will look nice and make me happy :) I'm also getting ready to refresh my interior, and while I'm not going to cheap out I will not go overboard. The car gets used.

Major services at independents are no big deal. I have to laugh a bit when people see receipts for really boring stuff and say, "Oh, that was just some unknown shop!" yet still turn around and talk about how great it is to DIY the 348. Huh??! The shops I use for my cars are VERY good and don't charge nearly what the dealer charges.

thorn likes this.
  21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Right that's true and its not at the same time. When your buying it makes a difference from when you own and do it. For example... I looked at one out there right no that looks amazing. I got the service records as it had major service done $4600. Great selling point huh. It was from a high end BMW place that did service. No big deal. Well non ferrari belt and did not do tensioners. Bottom line is buying a used one is a full on crap shoot and records for a car your buying done at Andys auto repair could mean it was amazing or it could mean it was flushing money. No way to know is there, when buying....

22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Then buy a car that's due for service and forget about the previous belt changes etc. Inspect the gearbox while the motor is out as well. Afterwards, you'll know everything you need from there.

For the PPI, have someone who's intimate with the 348 do the inspection and compression test. Maybe a leakdown for higher mileage cars too.

These are really simple cars overall.

BTW, this is way off topic... don't you have another thread on your search and tribulations already?

23. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    so much this ^^^^^

I bought my speciale knowing it was due for a major. The PO also had tons of records from himself and the previous 2 owners. I drove it for 5k miles before doing the 1st major.

I also bought the car never having put my own eyes on it. I had the presof the ohio FCA chapter go take a look for me and took 40 pics of all the issues he saw.

I did have a ppi done in Chicago too... the main thing i was concerned with was the compression and leakdown test.

I have 66k miles on the car and my independent just did the major on the car 1500 miles ago. He said are you sure the mileage is accurate? The numbers are better than some garage queens.

If you are looking for the perfect car... then a 25 year old car ain't for you. There will always be tradeoffs. You have to decide the amount of risk you can manage.

I'd sell my car if someone was serious. One requirement of the sale is they spend a couple hours with me discussing the car in detail. They will get a realistic assessment of the car. What i love, what bugs men what needs to be done... what id like to do.

Most pplshould just go buy a new McLaren. The car is bulletproof.

A vintage Ferrari is made for caregivers. You don't really own the car... it owns you and you take care of it for the next owner.

#71 of 100 rossa corsa over tan... and yes I'll sell it like i said... but aside from the ridiculous amount of money you need to part with... you gotta qualify with me to buy her.

greg328 and Chupacabra like this.
  24. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Back to seats
    355 seats are the best
    I have them in my 348gtb

25. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    When I have my CF seats redone, I'm going to see if they can put a tad more padding in the bum area.
    It could just be a case of the 25 years of use causing compression of the padding. I do like the seats as they remind me to keep my diet somewhat on track or I won't be able to fit my arse in them over time.

I'm going to be heavily involved in the re-do process too... from approving the hides used to ensuring the color match and stitching. Company I'm using has done a number of these and he does a good job monitoring the whole process.