Maserati Khamsin | Page 295 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Ben,
    Have contacted McGraths and they have examples of the clutch cylinder, so don't need mine as a pattern.
    I'm sure they will sort you out something.
    I need the dimension of the max mark from where the dipstick contacts the top of the tube in the dry sump tank.
    I doubt that the overall length is consistent.
    The two measurements that are taken the same way on the dipsticks I have as your 166, are 140 and 200 !
    Maybe it's not that critical
    Neil.

2. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Parts Collector is very unresponsive to North American buyers.

3. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I'm not sure if this is relevant to the discussion but I have the following NOS clutch hydraulic slave cylinder in my inventory, it would be table 11, figure number 27, part number 120 FI 81984.

4. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Parts collector seems unresponsive
    To Brits too in my experience.
    Very even handed though...../-:

5. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb
    Ok thanks Neil, will ask Emblem to measure again.

Ben

6. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb
    Thanks Elliot, that definitely looks like the right part, can I keep you 'in reserve' if I draw a blank in the UK?!

Ben

7. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb

8. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb
    Hello Neil, Emblem have taken a couple of measurements from the top for you:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hopefully this will solve your mystery. Emblem are on holiday for a week now so won't be able to get any more info for a bit. It looks like McGraths will be able to sort out my slave cylinder now so all good, thanks again for the original offer though. My project car is in pieces at the moment so if you are missing any more crucial bits I may have them to hand if you need to borrow to copy. I have relatives in MK so up that way occasionally.

Ben

9. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Thanks Ben,
    230 to 255 looks good - top level is where the dipstick is doubled, with 25 mm allowance.
    The parts I am missing that I would most like to copy are the stainless trims around the triangular rear side windows, but I would suspect they are still in your car.
    Neil

10. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb

11. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb
    Hello Niel, the rear quarter windows are out at the moment, I'll have a rummage when home and see if I can dig them out - here is a pic from when was stripping it - is this the trim you need to copy or is it the outer trim? Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ben

12. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Hello Ben,
    Yes, those are the ones, I have the glass and the rubbers but not the stainless trims.
    There is also an inner strip.
    Thanks,
    Neil.

13. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb

14. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb
    OK Neil, I'm back in the UK at the end of September, I'll contact you to see if I can get you the parts to copy.

Ben

15. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Thanks Ben.
    I'm happy to take a trip to Emblem and collect them, since I would the have to get them to Omicron in Norfolk for them to try and reproduce them, which won't be a quick process.
    Is there anything else missing from your car, since I have a few duplicates ?
    Neil.

16. Khamsin2012

Khamsin2012 Rookie

Apr 8, 2013
    Southampton
    Full Name:
    Ben Webb
    Parts are not with Emblem yet, they'll be getting the project car once the one with the clutch issue is fixed. Thanks for the offer but hopefully no more parts missing (apart from a few available bits I know about like headlamp buckets and lenses), will find out once it starts to go back together!

Ben

17. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hallo Otto

Unfortunately I do not know myself what the exact meaning of the Carrozzeria and Autovettura numbers is, other than their translation from Italian meaning
    body (= Carrozzeria) and car vehicle (= Autovettura). The Autovettura numbers seem to be consecutive numbers starting at 25000 for AM120 004 so 25004 would be 5th in line. Would be interesting to know at which moment of production or delivery these numbers were assigned.

For the Carrozzeria numbers on the other hand they seem to start at 500000 for AM120 004, also as consecutive numbers, but restarting at 550000 somewhere in 1975 for US cars and 1976 for European cars, no idea what made them introduce this step.

Best regards
    Roger

18. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Certainly!

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello AMLC,

Hope you are well.

Yes thank you for posting that wonderful story, a friend had sent it to me months ago but too busy, like today just go back from Geneva at midnight then...waking up at 4.30 to catch a dawn bullet train to Paris.

Some interesting news coming in the next few days:)

All the best,

Marc

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    PS: Of course this paragraph below should be taken with a pinch of salt...no make that a truckload of salt, seems like a full PR agency marketing campaign ...but it takes nothing away from the love story and she must have looked quite the stunning amazon in the K...I just wish it had been a Euro version without the garbage truck bumpers...but a certain K owner in Tennessee is bound to disagree;-)

"This meticulous and painstaking three-year endeavour has resulted in the renaissance of what is arguably the most stunning, absolutely correct, and lowest mileage Maserati Khamsin in existence – serial number US 1236. Only a few dozen others are known to still exist."

End of quote...it is one of the low mileage cars yes but at least two have far less (which is ony a good point for concours obsessive types who never drive...and never get what these cars are truly about) , any top K does not have US bumpers and only a few dozen is quite pessimistic.

MK1044 likes this.
  21. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Hello Marc,
    yes very well, thank you

it is nice to see that 1236 was 1st in class 13, with a Miura SV and a Daytona second and third!
    https://www.cobblebeachconcours.com/winners
    Class 13 Exotics
    1. 1977 Maserati Khamsin - William Halkiw, Toronto, ON
    2. 1972 Lamborghini Miura SV - Miles Nadal, Toronto, ON
    3. 1971 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona - Remo Ferri - Ferrari of Ontario, Woodbridge, ON

Photo: https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22339297_1425707570831852_8601156599358691071_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=04d67c830ae6a9950d52b21f0d4eecf7&oe=5BFF86E3

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you for posting that AMLC,

I was not aware of that concours result, a result that is logical, having driven all 3 extensively the other two are far less emotionally satisfying AND far less competent for long journeys or short blasts on twisty roads.

One of the main reasons why I started the K Registry in 2004 is that it is just sooo exceptional BOTH in terms of competence AND emotions it brings to you when driving,,,the funny thing is I am not a concours person at all, racing, track time is my passion...but here a concours delivered the results which I feel are correct and I am sure many who truly appreciate K's here agree:)

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Arjen,

I just emailed you the answer but -even though you just deleted your post- re your question about where to find the chassis number stamped on the chassis I will copy and paste it here so it may be useful for others:

The chassis number is stamped into the chassis between the right front wheel and the engine.

If you stand against the right front wheel (the one on the passenger side) and lean down over the wheel and wheel arch looking between it and the engine with a flashlight you
    will see the engraving. It may be dirty, it may be painted over but it will be there.

All the best,

Marc

24. barnfieldman

barnfieldman Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    Hi
    Can anyone recommend a spring compressor that works for the front springs on the khamsin?
    Regards
    Paul