Buying a GranTurismo --- What to look out for ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Buying a GranTurismo --- What to look out for ?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by finnerty, May 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E

Thank you
    Thats was very interesting but they also stated that parts of the California and the 599 were included in the car

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The GT is the baby brother of the 599.

3. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    It has been great taking to you all - I've never seen another GTS F1 on the road - of course on the country roads where I live its tractors and trucks
    In the local gun shop they used to call me the rick guy on the mountain but now after 15 years its just John

4. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    That's an interesting way to look at it - have fun with yours - I would send you all my sticky buttons but nobody up here to do that
    I can really drive but can't fix s**t

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John - give me a call. I'm sure I can connect you with someone to remove and re-install the parts.

6. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    BTW, for any other interested prospective buyers out there......

I came across this in my research regarding the cam variator issue --- this is the TSB issued by Maserati.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

thecarreaper likes this.
  7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Note - at 53k plus miles, my 2008 did not have this issue.

8. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Was your engine number before the cut off ?

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I don't have the engine number but that doc mentions 2007-2009 so it's a pretty safe bet mine fell into that range. I've been told by techs that a driven car often did not have the issue.

10. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I would like to see that whole TSB? Can you post please, much appreciated. Geno

11. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Unfortunately, I don't have the rest of the document --- the link I found only had the 1st page posted.

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Does this variator issue affect the "S" 4.7 engines, or just the 4.2 ?
    Its not too hard to find a nice 4.7 now.

13. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Yes, according to information I have read the 4.7L was affected. And if you find a car that had the issue corrected from what ive read its good to go.

thecarreaper likes this.
  14. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I am considering a used GT convertible in the $45-$60k range. That gives me choices from 2012 to 2014 for the most part. I keep reading about changes that were new in 2013 (to the seats and bumper) and I've studied pics on the web all morning and am too stupid to figure out what the differences are between 2013 and 2012...they all look the same to me! (I'm sure its me).

Can someone tell me all of the differences between 2012, 2013 and 2014?

New visual elements?
    New seats? (what is different)
    Did they add a back-up camera in there somewhere? (I'm addicted to them in my other cars and really want one in the maser)
    Changes to the drive train?
    Suspension changes?
    Interior features?

I've searched for buying guides and been reading online for hours and can't find anything with specifics about changes by model year...any help is greatly appreciated!

Oh, one more question - it seems there is a "sport" and "base" model convertible in those years...supposedly ~10 extra HP and maybe some suspension changes? Anyone know the real specifics on differences between the models (for the convertible)?

THANKS!!!

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    2012 front has fog lights. 2023 eliminates those and goes to the MC style front end. 2023 has sport seats.

16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #66 arizonaitalian, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    This is why I'm stumped...the Gray car in the "CPO banner" pics is a 2013 and the white car is a 2012. I don't see any differences between the front end nor the seats in these cars. All of the one's I looked at are the same, so its not just these two cars...(there are some with the "perforated leather" option that have a different seat with vertical stitching vs. the horizontal ones pictured here, but I can tell they are the same seats, only the leather pattern is different).

White 2012: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/724715327/overview/

Gray 2013: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/731980270/overview/

17. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    The "sport" trim level/option did come with a different front end pictured here> But the seats are the same in many of the "Sport models" as the ones pictured above yet some of them have these seats (yes, I see both seat types in sport models in the same model year out there) Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I only follow coupes. It's possible early 2013 convertibles had the same seats / front end as 2012.

19. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #69 arizonaitalian, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Yeah, and 2014 non sport convertibles still had the same front end and seats. Only the sport model seems to have the revised front end and seats (in some cases, perhaps it was an option).

Typical Italian...no clarity nor adherence to specs..."heya luigu...whatsa in the partsa bina"? "perfecto, lettza throw thata on".

I have to say the damn sticky crap is the main reason I'm hesitating to get one of these. All of the ones I look at seem to have some sticky here and there. There are hundreds of pieces in that car. It will drive me nuts to see it and get it on my hands and my clothes and my passengers hands and clothes, and its hugely expensive to take all those parts out and send them off and have you redo them and have somebody put them back in (not to mention the hassle, time lost when the car is "down" and potential for crap to go wrong taking them out and putting them back in). Don't misunderstand, you do great work and we are lucky that you are there to fix the factory's gross negligence, incompetence and laziness on this matter.

I don't want to be pissed off at my crappy Italian car anymore, I got enough of that with my last Maser and Ferrari. First world problems I know, but annoying nonetheless.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that now has 72000 very hard miles and its as good at what it is supposed to do as any ferrari or maser at their role when they actually run properly. That jeep hasn't given one bit of trouble. Two sets of tires and perhaps $800 in maint spent thus far in 6 years. No down days. Looks brand new still (despite living on dirt roads and being in the back country 1/3 of each year). Why can't stupid GT and sports cars behave like that? Oh yeah, I forgot about Porsche (to an extent) and Honda S2000 and Acura NSX. It can be done...the italians just don't care and we keep buying up their cars. Meh. Okay, I feel a bit better after that rant :)

20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Get a sport ;) These are awesome cars. I love mine :)

21. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Dave - does yours have the seats in my post #67?

Also, can you confirm that the radio/stereo has Sirius, bluetooth and ipod hard wire connection?

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  23. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Cool, is that Black with Cuio or Sabbia (I think cuio?)?

Also, can you confirm if they have SiriusXM capability (I realize I need to pay for the service)

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's Nero Carbonio (black metallic) with Cuoio. I can't help you with XM as I only stream from my iphone (Pandora) The NIT is not like a modern day BMW, etc but I couldn't care less. The exhaust and other aspects of the car make up for that.

25. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I just spoke with my long time (10 years now) service manager at my local dealer and he had nothing but reassuring/good stuff to say about the GTs. He said its exactly what I'm looking for and he says they have been very problem free (compared to anything else he takes care of - they are a Ferrari/Maserati shop). That has put me over the top on getting a GT vs. something else.
    So, I'm working towards a deal on a couple of cars...both pretty nice, both 2014 convertibles, same asking price:

Car #1
    Base model
    25k miles
    CPO
    $8k recent maint done
    Good color combo

Car #2
    Sport Model
    17k miles
    No warranty
    Not sure if recent work done (still awaiting historical records, they say they took care of the car since new...)
    Favorite color combo

So Car #2 is the preferred Sport model and preferred colors and 8k lower miles.

But Car #1 has CPO for 24 months and just had $8k worth of maint done at the dealer (CPO inspection, new brakes, all fluids and filters, wipers, new tires, leaking cam cover gaskets replaced).

That is $3k in value for the CPO warranty and $8k in work that I will not have to do. So Car #1 really is worth +$11k vs. the other car. But Car #2 is worth more than Car #1 due to being a Sport model and the lower miles, I'm estimating perhaps $4k for Sport and ~$8k ($1/mile) for the lower miles. So really, the value/difference offset one another. Bringing me back to the cars are worth the same and have the same asking price...

So...the car I *really want* with no warranty and needs work vs. the car I *sorta want* with warranty and all maint up to date.

Hard choice...decisions, decisions...

Anyone have a thought?