How Picky Is Too Picky? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How Picky Is Too Picky?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FFan5, Jul 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    No. Haven't driven it or seen it in person. And it is taking soooo long to ship it, the 90 certified warranty will be out by the time it gets to me.

Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale says absolutely nothing is wrong with it, and I've taken them at their word.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Can I suggest to see the car in person before you purchase it? This is your first F car...I caution to take dealer's word on its face value... And what is the history of the car? People may know a thing or two about the car.

obbob and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Totally agree. Ferrari’s aren’t an impulse purchase. If it’s not too late, I would slow down. At the very least, see it for yourself first. Better yet, take someone knowledgeable with you. 458’s are hardly a rare car. If something isn’t right, you will find the right car soon enough. Most dealers are pretty good but it wouldn’t be the first time a car is misrepresented.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I found and negotiated my buddies 458 from Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale. We did go see it before he handed them the check. One tiny little mark on the leather and they took care of it no questions asked when I pointed it out. They also painted the calipers yellow and we had them clear bra the entire front clip, mirrors and rockers.

It was a great purchase and it is a great car.

Attached Files:

iloveferrari likes this.
  5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Congrats Dave on a super 458 !

Yuo went to Ft L to see it first and found things that were not good and had them corrected for free ...

But as I mentionned, it is a big risk NOT to see (and drive) the car … imo :D

6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    You are right. It is a risk. I'm a little scared of what I've done. However, with sub 2,000 miles on the clock, the exact interior I wanted, great looking photos, a Ferrari PPI and certified, and a FaceTime with the sales guy, I decided against flying across the country to see the car. If anything is wrong with it, I'll contact Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale, but even if they refuse to make things right, if it can be corrected for under $4,000, then I still came out ahead.

Huh? Why $4,000? Well, plane tickets, hotel and most importantly, my time were saved. Other things in life are going on besides buying this car. ;-)

For those curious, I'll post my experience. The car is now scheduled to arrive here around August 24th. I'm so excited I'm having trouble sleeping.

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks, Mel. We got the car 3 years ago. It's a 2013 and had 5k ish miles. I think my buddy has put on 6-7 k since. He loves the car.

It was a big dollar purchase and yes, going to view it made sense. But, we didn't do a PPI aside from me checking it out pretty extensively.

And, it's still not sticky - thank god because I will be fixing it when the time comes :D

Melvok likes this.
  8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Good logic. Who is the salesman? Post some photos :)

9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Enjoy. It’s a great car.

10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Bro , I’m so happy for you. Please keep us posted along the way. All the best, Kirk.

Ps. I bought my 458 spider 3500 miles from Ferrari Palm Beach with no PPI and had zero issues.

11. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David

How about a 2013 458 Spider in Bianca Avus with Black interior and white contrast stitching. Full carbon trim with Race seats. H&R Springs, New Speciale Wheels with Michelin Super Sports. Full clear bra on the entire front end. Just serviced by Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale with clean bill of health on 8-12-2018, 8k Miles.
    David 904-629-0887
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    He already bought another car. Love the Speciale wheels though ;)

13. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    What is with the taillights in South Florida? Can no one leave them stock? Is it a rule? Do you not get tickets if you paint them black? j/k

Other than the taillights and the missing roof, this is what I'm talking about! I was thinking of getting Speciale wheels for mine, cool to see what it would look like.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
  15. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I got the car at 9pm last night. It is in amazing condition. Not flying to check the car out was a gamble, but the car is immaculate. There isn't even a scuff or dirt underneath the car. The interior doesn't look like it has ever been sat in. Not one leather crease. The brake rotors don't even have a transfer layer on them, I seriously doubt they've even been properly bedded.

Some wonderful wonderful owners out there spec'd the car I wanted, bought it, broke in the engine, lowered the price 1/3 and waited five years for me to save up enough money to buy the car.

Now for the fun part! I'm going to get dirt on the car, crease the leather, probably scuff a bumper and just enjoy the crap out of my five year old brand new Ferrari. If I have enough free time, I'll double the number of miles on the car by Thanksgiving.

Was it worth being picky? Oh yeah! The two months went by fast!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tekaefixe and Dave rocks like this.
  16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Boom ! Here is the car to buy. Best, Kirk.