3500 GT Spyder Vignale thread | Page 15 | FerrariChat

3500 GT Spyder Vignale thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Jun 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcelle

Marcelle Rookie

Jul 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcel Willemse
    I'am currently working on a Maserati Vignale Spyder 1962,and was wondering myself about a few things.
    Mayby someone here could help me out with it ?

In the suspension parts and drive train im finding different styles of threads on the bolds and nuts (metric and uk or us threads), is that supposed to be like that ? Is there maybe a reason for,or is it just happend like that during construction of that car ?

What is it about the finish of the bolts and nuts of the suspension and drive train , is it supposed to be black finish or just galvanized/sink yellow or white
    About that ,underneath the hood im finding different finishing of the bolts and nuts .
    Is there some logic about that , does someone know which bolts and nuts have to look like (black or galvanized) ?

Could someone also help me out with the brake callipers,about how they supposed to look like .
    Is it white or yellow galvanized/sink ?
    Ive heard that they supposed to look like some dark grey color ? If thats true do you know what color that is ?

It would be great to get some help here with these questions
    I’ve already had these questions in another post, but Portenos adviced me to also reply in this one .
    For a bigger audience

Thanks

2. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    In the suspension parts and drive train im finding different styles of threads on the bolds and nuts (metric and uk or us threads), is that supposed to be like that ?
    Yes, thats the way they were sourced.
    Suspension, rear diff, drive line - British. Transmission German.

Is there maybe a reason for,or is it just happend like that during construction of that car ?

What is it about the finish of the bolts and nuts of the suspension and drive train , is it supposed to be black finish or just galvanized/sink yellow or white.
    Natural black is the best way to go.
    About that ,underneath the hood im finding different finishing of the bolts and nuts .
    Keep everything the same.
    Is there some logic about that , does someone know which bolts and nuts have to look like (black or galvanized) ?
    I think you are over engineering it.

Could someone also help me out with the brake callipers,about how they supposed to look like .
    Is it white or yellow galvanized/sink ?
    Grey... definitely grey.
    Ive heard that they supposed to look like some dark grey color ? If thats true do you know what color that is ?

It would be great to get some help here with these questions
    I’ve already had these questions in another post, but Portenos adviced me to also reply in this one .
    For a bigger audience.
    Yes it is a very big audience, but most people are shy and just sit back but do not contribute.
    Good luck, but please take it easy, don't try to over restore the car.
    Ciao,
    FGM

3. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    And then there was TWO.
    The finished Vignale with its newly rechromed front and rear bumpers and door handles awaits winter storage while it's brother the Daytona gets ready for the trip to Palm Desert CA for winter driving. Two cars with very different personalities.
    I store my cars with 70% 100 low lead Aviation fuel mixed with 30% non ethanol 92 octane.
    After sitting for 5 months I hit the key and boom! engine starts immediately.
    The chroming done by Jon Wright Custom Chrome Plating in Grafton Ohio is very expensive but "Best of Show" quality.
    His car won Americas best Roadster, at the Pomona Roadster Show two years ago.
    Ciao,
    FGM

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. André Melone

Nov 2, 2013
    Imola
    awohlmann likes this.
  5. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Very nice and very rare paint chips.
    Ciao,
    FGM

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Hi André

Very interesting piece which I had never seen before. I assume in the back of each paint chip is the name of the color and the code .... correct?

Question about paint colors are very common and any piece of information is extremely important. It would be great if you can take individual high resolution photos of each paint chip (front and back), including the cover. If you e-mail me the individual photos I can assemble them into a single PDF file and make it available to others. As you may already know I have many of the manuals and sales brochures available free to download at: http://thecarnut.com/maseratimanuals.html

You can e-mail the photos to [email protected]

Thank you for sharing!
    Ivan

7. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
  8. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Sadly, I think the Ferrari and Lamborghini syndrome is beginning to infect Maserati owners with rapidly appreciating cars, store but don't drive. There was a time not so long ago when people owned and restored Maserati cars, regardless of their final value and then drove them because they loved the brand just for it's own sake. Now some of them are collecting art works and putting them in closets (garages) away from the light waiting for appreciation. Hopefully the number of owners who do so will not get too great. Bravo, Frank, for your so many years of loving the brand Maserati enough to want the world to see the lovely cars you own. Keep up the good work and keep on driving them.

9. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    You would think that this discussion would touch a nerve and there would be an out cry, but no,
    I never thought in all my dreams there would be such fair weather collectors, but alas it's true.
    Maserati owners it seems cannot afford these classic cars. Yes, they can manage the purchase price, but there it stops.
    The thinking all to often is, If I don't drive it, I will not be spending my precious dollars, Euros or Pounds to maintain them. Such a pity.
    As my friend Joey says " there are no luggage racks on the top of the hearse"
    News Flash- If your not driving your car, get rid of it. Maybe the next guy will have the enthusiasm you once felt.
    Elliott it is always great to hear from you, and I count you as one who owns and drives em.
    Ciao,
    FGM

10. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Hello Frank,
    Don't get impatient, we don't have Californian climate here :D.
    In Austria the season for driving these cars starts slowly. I had a testdrive with the Vignale last week, but the roads are either full of road salt or crushed stones. Both of them I don't like very much :(. I am waiting for a heavy rain to clean the roads before driving. As soon as we have 2 days heavy rain, for me the season will start.

But to give you a feeling of how we drive our cars I wanted to post a video, but I could not manage it - I believe it's not allowed to upload videos on FChat :mad:.
    In this case I attached some fotos from a driver safety training which the Austrian Maserati Club organized last year. We learned a lot of driving safety and still had a lot of fun. A video would show this much better but ... anyway.
    Alfred

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3500 GT likes this.
  11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Alfred,

You can upload the video to YouTube and then post the link in FChat.

Ivan

awohlmann likes this.
  12. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Thank you Ivan - I will try to post the videos.

13. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Thanks to the help of Ivan here you find some of my activities from the last year:
    One day driver safety training with the Vignale.

My first try:

after some practise (and with less speed) :D:

This day brought a great experience - enjoy it.

14. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    So frank, does this mean I will see you on the Mountain Mille this month?

15. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  16. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Very nice photos and videos.
    I have been on the road relocating back to Mercer Island from Palm Desert (too hot!! 104 degrees) so have not had time to respond.

I know very well that the Europeans drive their cars much more than we here in the USA. I am speaking of Maseratis here.
    Yesterday, I got in my Vignale and after sitting for 6 months turned the key, pumped up the webbers, and "Bingo" it fired right up!
    This car does everything right!
    Drove it home and onto cars and coffee this morning together with my friend Bruce and his newly acquired Vignale #2769. the one sold at RM Amelia Island.
    Seeing 2 Vignale's together is very rare, let alone 1.
    Keep driving.
    FYI my Daytona won the EMCEE Trophy at the La Jolla Concours a few weeks ago. I drove it down from Palm Desert and back.
    Here it is in Coachella Valley at 6:00AM on a morning run before the temp hits 104Degrees. The glorious sound of that V12 is intoxicating.
    Ciao,
    FGM

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

red27 and 3500 GT like this.
  17. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    The original Monoflux fuel pumps - Cluck Cluck -are now back in 1121 and the Facet pump - click click- has been removed but kept in the event the MonoFlux pumps quit. That hose hanging down in the last photo will be connected to the copper tubing and the access panel will be reinstalled.
    I had them rebuilt at great expense by Dennison International here in the Seattle area. The ones they rebuilt for my Mitchell Car # 708 are still running strong after 9 years.
    I have been driving the Vignale almost daily here in the summer and loving it. Such a great vintage car to drive. Will actually be showing it tomorrow at Exotics at Redmond Town Center.
    Ciao,
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3500 GT and Marcelle like this.
  18. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Hi André,
    My car 101*0871*, year 1960 wears the colour "Canna di Fucile" (shut gun grey matallic), a colour which is not included in your paint chips.
    The number is SAVIDIN 20.259. Maybe the paint chip was created at a later time. It would be interesting to see an original paint chip.
    Ciao,
    Alfred

19. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
  20. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Excuse me, but this is not an 15" wheel. The dimension 185 x 400 means it is an european diameter in milimeters not in inch. this wheel is very similar to 185 x 16", but not really the same. 16 inch will mean 406,4 mm - a little bigger diameter - against the 400 mm "Michelin" used. My Vignale left the factory in 1960 on 185 x 400 Borranis with Michelin X tires. But as Michelin was the only company that offered 400 mm tires, I changed to the later used common 185 x 16" Borranis. I now use a spare tire in 185 x 400 an this wears a Pirelli Cinturato 185 x 16". Not recommanded for normal use, but as a spare tire it works.
    Alfred

21. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    No Sir, excuse me. A little too much wine when I posted. I was going through my wheel stock last with many sizes.

Obviously it’s a 400 x 185 Borrani. Correct for your car.

Ciao and best!

22. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I never understood the logic of Maserati putting on some 3500GT/Vignale spyders 16 inch wheels and others with 400mm wheels. Perhaps the 16 inch tires were unavailable for some time and they used 400mm instead just to keep production moving. In the USA Coker Tire carries the Michelin X 185R400.

Ivan

3500 GT likes this.
  23. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer

That could be possible, but I'd wager it has to do with suspension dynamics and handling, in respect to road conditions in Europe and USA? Just a thought. Or maybe it was supply and demand decision.