value for unrestored 512BB? | FerrariChat

value for unrestored 512BB?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ilconservatore, Aug 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Hi all,
    One of the cars in my care right now is an '80 BB, red/black, black interior. Repainted in the 90s but pretty much untouched otherwise. Very clean, has tools, etc. Former SB100 car in CA. Around 25,000km on the clock.

Owner has had it for 10 years and used it sparingly. I just restored the carbs (had loose throttle shafts) but it will also need a clutch (that's next on my to-do list), belts, has leaky shift-shaft seals, etc. Really just needs an engine out service, valve job, seals, etc.

Its basically a clean driver that's had deferred maintenance. Will post pics with owner's permission later.

Owner is interested in selling and I'm trying to give him some advice on price. He's on the fence about sending it out for the remainder of the service vs. selling as-is. Any guidance?

crinoid likes this.
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but a non restored is better than a bad restored
    when it was once repainted - same color?
    only 1 owner?
    pictured would be good

what is a SB100 car?

3. ilconservatore

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I'll post some photos Monday. SB100 is for California owners...When a collector car comes into the state it has to go through a special registration process. From my understanding there is a limit to how many cars can get the SB100 every year and cars that previously had SB100 are easier to re-register.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    strange handling for collector cars.
    so best would be then to bring it in the state beginning of the year because of the limited numbers each year?

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the car looks pretty good
    but I think the shocks for the engine hood are not original? my 512 BB carb don´t have those

6. ilconservatore

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Turbo-joe - I believe they are the original type. In the service records we have a bill for "replace rear bonnet struts" in 1998, and no record that they were modified.

I haven't looked at our notes on the car in quite a while...They're pretty complete going back to 1989 and was serviced by Francorchamp's of America (FAI) for a large portion of its life. Looks like it was in CA from at least '89 to 2005, and we've had it since 2007.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    mine is a 77, so may be they changed?

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    a repaint and unrestored sorta dont square in my book but it looks like you have some nice toys in that garage.

9. ilconservatore

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks. Not sure what else to call it in that case. Garage fresh I guess, or maybe just "dormant" instead of unrestored. ;)

10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    sorry being an ass. vey nice car though

Jakuzzi likes this.
  11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    did bob seger in MI own this ?

12. John Rice

John Rice Rookie

Apr 25, 2007
    Interesting that it's got a California SB100. I'm wondering how the then-owner mangaged that. I suspect it might be worth more in CA because of this and a good image of that SB100 sticker would help determine the status. For you gents elsewhere, no way it would come close to passing the required emissions test with carbs so that SB100 is significant.

13. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
  14. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    According to today’s ‘Ferrari market Letter’, a 1983 512 BBi sold at auction for just $175,000.
    20,660 miles White with cream interior. All books and tools.
    I was really surprised by that statistic. I thought these were trading near 300 grand

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Its not just miles but also condition so the car that sold for $175,000 could be a basket case with lots of stories. Multiple cars being auctioned off in Monterrey this coming weekend, we will see how they do. One is "Projected" to go between $375 and $475 so we will see.

The BBi has so many parts and so many items to keep up and running. Restoring a BBI can cost as much as the purchase price itself.

16. ilconservatore

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Not that I'm aware of.

Working on the clutch now. We'll most likely send it off for the major in a few weeks. I'd like to offer the best car possible, and frankly it will be nice to put a few miles on it when its finished :D

dwhite likes this.
  17. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I second that! If I had farmed out the work on my resto of a boxer in an initially very good condition I can't imagine it would be less then 100k.

18. Garry D

Garry D Rookie

Sep 8, 2016
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Garry Doyle
    I'm interested , if the car comes available
    Cheers

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The clamshell struts are on upside down, no big deal but just looks wrong.

Wrong mirrors and was DOT converted then partially undone. I suspect it had the jumbo side lights either in the bumpers or clamshells, most likely had bumper car bumpers too which the paint job undid but the other add-ons are still on the car including the compliance plate.

As an example there's one listed that I know very well and they want $225K USD. Paint is good from 5 feet away but its never been monkeyed with or crashed and the engine and gearbox are freshly rebuilt.

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what please means this paul?

21. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    Means it isnt modified or messed with.

turbo-joe and Jakuzzi like this.
  22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

A great example of why Classiche means nothing, or not what people think it should mean.

A 79 without boxer trim? Unlikely. Paint that perfect? Never. Wrong exhaust, blue stitching in the tan leather? Not sure it was possible to get a blue dash with Tan interior unless my computer screen just makes it look blue. Wrong spinners too. Its a clean car but throw the red binder in the garbage knowing its been personalized during the resto.

24. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Pretty car though!