FF transmission problems? I am hearing this is an issue... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FF transmission problems? I am hearing this is an issue...

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by trygve11, Oct 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Interesting post, 4th. Does this imply that the T places more stress on the transmission, on average, than the NA Calis?
    T

2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I would say yes because force induction engine almost always puts out more torque than a similarly displaced NA unit.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I was told by a Ferrari tech who is certified to work on the DCT that earlier versions of the transmission (at least on the California) had a problem with some internal plastic clips (similar to zip-ties) used to route the wiring that were not up to the heat conditions inside the gearbox, they would become brittle and could abrade the wiring, causing shorts to the speed sensor. Those clips were updated at some point, so later transmissions seem to be more reliable, but others may know more than I do. He indicated that I should not be concerned with my 2013. Steve down in Dallas posted a photo of the internals that shows the clips. Whether this issue is unique to Ferrari's application as opposed to Mercedes et. al. ... no idea, or if there is better cooling in the other applications aside from the California.

[​IMG]

Bundy, ernie, Brian L and 1 other person like this.
  4. shewu

shewu Rookie

Oct 20, 2014
    Can the plastic clips in the older transmissions be upgraded to use the updated clips? Seems prudent to do as a preventative maintenance item; whether someone will do it is another question.

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I would guess if they are addressing the speed sensor problem they are already doing that. But the huge cost of replacing the inexpensive speed sensor is the labor disassembling the transmission to access it, so it does not really make sense as preventative maintenance.

6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I had an early NA California that had transmission problems at 20.000 Km. The diagnose was a faulty speed sensor and the repair was done under the existing extended warranty. In case it might be of interest to anyone I publish some pictures I took during the repair process.
    Picture 1) Shows the DCT still in place after all the bottom panels and the exhaust were removed. I presume the parking brake cables were also removed.
    Picture 2) Shows the bottom of the car after the DCT was removed.
    Picture 3) To remove the DCT the back axle had to come out on top of a trolley and before that could be done the rear brakes disks and all the oil tubs had to be removed.
    Picture 4) The DCT after being removed and ready to be opened and repaired .

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bundy and ernie like this.
  7. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Thanks for putting up those pictures. It's hard to imagine something as simple as zip-ties is the main culprits to the problem.

vinuneuro and spyderman like this.
  8. pelank

pelank Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    Monaco
    interestingly enough I had read this thread last week and took my 2011 FF (40k km 25k miles) to the dealer for annual maintenance... 50 min after I dropped the car off the Service Manager rang me back and asked if I had seen the Transmission light on at any time (I had not) as the computer clearly identified the issue with the speed sensor mentioned above. The service manager mentioned the sensor (and/or clips) are the cheap part but they need at least 35 hours labour to basically do what can be seen in the photos posted by MDEL. I have religiously renewed the Power extended warranty every year and the service manager was trying to confirm that this was going to be covered.... He also mentioned they have had a number of these issues with 2011 and 2012 FFs but very few on the newer ones. Will keep the group posted.

9. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    35 hours at $205-240 an hour is going to be almost $8,500 in labor alone....

10. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    No more than 2 years extended warranty though plus no limits to how many claims you make which begs the question; put 4k in an account every year religiously and if nothing goes wrong spend it on options on the next one .....or the warranty?

11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Buying insurance and warranty is paying someone to take the risk.

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    2014 FF I was quoted 5700 for one year of warranty. Seems high but....

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Why not go to an independent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    None of the independents have access to the factory diagnostic computer which is pretty much a must in order to diagnose a DCT isssue, as well as all of the special tools required to rebuild a DCT.

If I was in the market for an FF, I would either get one with a warranty or set aside $30k to cover any DCT or PTU issues that the car may have.

PhantomCypher likes this.
  15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    With all those cars in post #21 having the same DCT, I wonder what's the reason it's only affecting the FF.

HKS479 likes this.
  16. pelank

pelank Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    Monaco
    quick update as promised. Ferrari HQ approved the work same day and the Scuderia dealer has started working on it this week. I am supposed to be getting some photos ref the rebuild... if they materialize will post.
    in Europe the warranty extension is about 4-5k Euro depending on whether you have claimed or not in previous year, I hear the comments from some Fchat members regarding paying every year - each to his own, for me it takes risk away so peace of mind and will make it easier to sell on in a year.

17. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It doesn't affect just the FF's. All of the Ferraris with DCT: Calfornia/T, 458 and F12 are all having the same DCT issues.

18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    P1 in stamford has one. Have the car shipped there for 145 an hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKS479 likes this.
  19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    How did you come to that conclusion, that "...it's only affecting the FF."??? Did you read the posts in this thread properly?

For instance, you had replied to MDEL who in post 31 of this thread had written "...I had an early NA California that had transmission problems at 20.000 Km..."

FWIW, this 2015 blog documents similar DCT problems affecting the AMG SLS.

20. Brandon01

Brandon01 Rookie

Aug 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brandon ilitch
    I’m trying to help a friend out he as a 2012 Ferrari FF and he has a transmission speed sensor problem. My question is that if anybody knows where those sensors are located.
    Thank you

21. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Does anyone have a sense how much cheaper it is to go with independent to fix ff engine, transmission and ptu? Just trying to figure out how much to put in piggy bank if I buy a FF.

22. ml321

ml321 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    London/Munich
    Had 2 repairs on my transmission
    First time a year ago it lost oil and they replaced something
    Second time this year, the car often did no longer want to shift into 7th gear at high revs (no issues at lower revs, say below 5k rpm)

23. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    what is the mileage and year of your car?

24. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
  25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If the trans goes on a car out of warranty with say less than 30k, wouldnt Ferrari take some responsibility?