488 GTB STANDARD STEREO | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 GTB STANDARD STEREO

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MANDALAY, Aug 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Exactomundo! Helps de-stress the missus - especially on those occasions she is in the car when the hammer drops.:D

Melvok likes this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'll pay that. 488 is also more satisfying on drive duties than TTS too - not discounting the prowess of TTS. That thing is still a formidable beast!

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    No, don't want to knock the 991tts, I loved every minute of ownership but I wanted a Ferrari and so I got a new Cali T HS. That was a great car but the 488 is the best of both. I don't have any issues yet with my 488. I will surely let the board know if I find something I don't like since that seems to be a favorite topic here, bashing the 488.

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I'm no audiophile, however, I did order the optional JBL audio system on my 2018 488 GTB, and IMO the system sounds quite good. Also, to me it just made sense to spend the extra $ to get the best factory system available. I found the attached article interesting despite its heavy slant on self-promotion.

https://news.harman.com/releases/harman-on-board-of-the-new-ferrari-488-gtb

Caeruleus11 and Cigarzman like this.
  5. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    In the 458 the standard system is a joke and users with the JBL say its not much better. In the 488 I have no idea, I hope its nice specially the upgraded JBL.

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Thank you for the reply's will check it out tonight. Just want a little adjusting , base , treble and balance.

Personally std systems are just that , even the upgrade are just that. Just OK , AUDIOPILE QUALITY NEVER. Its a bit like who came first chicken or the egg. To build , yes built a real audio in a car one has to select the correct car first. Std systems are, here is the car add a stereo.

As a true lover of high quality sound I did purchase the correct car then built the ultimate system and lets say i was about the cost of a second hand 458. It takes a lot of money for that extra quality.

I just want to balance the system so I have a centre image from the drivers seat.

BTW I did win the Australasian car audio competition in Sound Quality with my car

Ash Patel likes this.
  7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I can say first hand having had both ,the JBL upgrade in the 488 is much better than the 458 JBL stereo. However for the upgrade price of ~ 6k they are nuts , but I do like it. Lol

Best , Kirk

MANDALAY and Viperjoe like this.
  8. dekmaster

dekmaster Rookie

Nov 24, 2017
    RoketRdr likes this.
  9. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have the JBL in my 458 and it is seriously disappointing. I'm sympathetic to the "listen to the engine and not music" attitude, but, yes, I sometimes want to listen to music and the system is just wretched. Still love the car though!

tekaefixe and Viperjoe like this.
  10. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I partially rescind this observation. I played CDs in the car today for the first time and the sound is head and shoulders above where it is with the Sirius/XM I usually listen to. I had already noticed that Bluetooth from my phone was noticeably better than the SiriusXM, but playing actual CDs was much, much better (including loading them on the hard drive first).

11. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Aftermarket stereo = "Sound is amazing". Exactly. The crappy stereos in the 458 and 488 are easily fixed. I've had more than one person tell me that something as simple as replacing the midranges in the doors with higher quality drivers will dramatically improve the sound - and they are referring to replacing the 200mm carbon fiber "woofers" as part of the JBL optioned audio system.