3rd and 5th gear crunch F1 360 | FerrariChat

3rd and 5th gear crunch F1 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by ItalienCar, Aug 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    My 2002 F1 360, has been developing a crunch like noise when upshifting in a mildly aggressive form into 3rd and 5th gear. I had my mechanic change the transmission fluid (GL4) twice as the fluid was dark and thick, probably from service miss from previous owner.
    My first thought was bad synchros, but it is somewhat happening for both gears at the same time...Also, soft upshifts don’t generate a crunch noise.
    Side note, I did upgrade to a
    new CS TCU about 1K miles ago, and the PIS was adjusted by my mechanic.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Anyone have some feedback or experience on this?

3. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Begs the question: What does your mechanic think is the problem?

4. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Mechanic suggested initially that may be some particles were stuck in there, thus the multiple transmission fluid changes. But that hasn’t fixed anything. The other suggestions were the synchros...but would have to take the gearbox apart to really know what it is.
    I find it strange that it happens on the 3rd and 5th gear. Not that familiar with the F1 gearbox, but wondering if may be the gear engagement is different for the odd gears,1,3,5 vs the other ones...
    Car has 33k miles.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    What I would be wondering if it were a stick is if the alignment of the cables were off, of if the clutch weren't completely disengaging or dragging.

Are there any leaks of fluid from the holes below the clutch housing? (might suggest in complete clutch actuation)
    Are they any leaks from the valve body in the right fender? How about from the hoses or the actuator on the transmission?
    (rationale here might be that if there were a leak from the 3rd or 5th gear actuator that might result in slower or incomplete actuation of the gear selector for 3rd and 5th gear.)

Because the F1 system is mechanical, there shouldn't be any imperfection in the selection of the gears or synchro wear like you have with "imperfect" shifts with a manual shifter. It should all be perfect and timed consistently. Only thing I can think of (and I'm not an F1 guru) is that the selection of the gears in the gearbox by the hydraulic mechanism is imperfect, and for those gears only suggests it might be those actuators and their mechanisms.

6. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Is your mechanic a local gas station mechanic or a Ferrari mechanic? I ask because he focused immediately on the gearbox but no mentioning of him diagnosing the hydraulic or electrical aspect of the F1 system. I would do a purge and bleeding of the F1 system and initiate a TCU relearn to see if that will solve the problem.

7. FLY360

FLY360 Rookie

Aug 4, 2015
    FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Orndoff
    My 2002 is doing the same thing. I also switched to a CS TCU a few hundred miles ago. I would describe the noise as more of a clunk shifting into 1st, 3rd, and 5th. It gets worse as the car warms up. I'm hoping it's a TCU setup issue. I haven't talked to my mechanic about it yet.

8. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    If my mechanics is a local gas mechanic, he is definitely an expensive one:)
    Yes, he has a great reputation and deals 80% in Ferraris.
    I bled the f1 pump a couple of months back, and calibrated the PIS. He only has a Leonardo, so not sure if I brought it to someone with an SD3, there would be better results...

9. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Let me know what your mechanics says... same thing here, it’s a clunky crunchy noise, and typically gets worst as the car warms up.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If there is too much LSD additive in the 75W-90 transaxle fluid, the synchro rings get too slippery to do their job.

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

GL4?? I thought it was GL5., as in 75w90 NS of redline

12. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You have a PM.

13. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    I’ll look into the leaks. I did have an issue with the actuator a couple of months back, which was a result of lose internal hardware. Looks like I have to take it to someone else for a second opinion... I spoke to my mechanic again and his feedback is that I should replace the whole transmission from general wear.

14. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My car has exactly the same issue. Who is your mechanic? My mechanic told me it was a sticky throwout bearing and that I needed to replace the clutch. $6000 later the problem is still there. The fact that it is temperature dependent makes me pretty sure it isn't actually the synchros, I think it is a problem with hydraulic leakage in the F1 system causing an incomplete throw of the clutch. I have tried bleeding and flushing the F1 fluid with different ATF blends and it makes a noticeable difference, but hasn't totally solved the problem. Next thing I want to try is replacing the bleed block with a hill engineering one. It's possible that as the car warms up the fluid gets thinner and seeps through leaky seals more. The funny thing is, if I shift over 6000rpm at full throttle it's fine, I think because the system is asking for max pressure on the clutch release.

15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

why can't you switch back to ur old TCU and see if problem vanish?

16. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    I installed a cs Tcu and having the same issues. If I try to shift to aggressively I get grinding. If I back off the throttle then no grinding. And it does it in any gear. I’m going to install my old tcu and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Did you setup the PIS correctly after putting in the TCU? It sounds like your PIS is too low if it's every gear.

18. FLY360

FLY360 Rookie

Aug 4, 2015
    FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Orndoff
    My mechanic has the car now. I'll post if he figures it out. Otherwise we'll try putting the original tc u back in.

19. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Latest feedback I got was worn synchros. I saw two different mechanics and both provided the same input. This is after multiple transmission fluid changes, with no coolant contamination.
    Worn synchros apparently not that uncommon on the F1... thought it was more of a manual issue.
    Note: This failure happened after a couple of hundred miles post challenge TCU swap.

20. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yes the synchros are likely worn, but why did that happen? You could change the synchros, but in my opinion we haven't diagnosed the problem yet. I did a flush of my F1 circuit with different fluids and noticed very different results. I think there is something definitely going on with the F1 system that causes this, although reading the transmission oil thread makes me worry that GL-5 may have contributed to the synchros dying in cars that have been parked most of their life.

21. mussabo

mussabo Rookie

Jul 29, 2017
    Yokohama, Japan
    Full Name:
    R.M
    I had same problem after changed my oldest TCU to CSTCU. (did some post in other thread about this problem)
    2000, F1, 360 Modena

Problem seems solved with transmission oil change in my case, so now sharing some information.

After changed to CSTCU, strange crunch noise started when shifting 1st to 2nd, and 4th to 5th.
    adjusted PIS when changed to CSTCU with Leonardo (PIS = 4.398, with NEW clutch component)

Change back to original TCU, but still same big noise, so, worried much (transmission is damaged !?)

Asked to few ferrari professional engineers and their answer was
    1. Mission gear problem
    2. Synchro problem
    Really bad.

But, seems not in my case.
    one engineer tried what he can do to solve this problem.

Thanks to him, problem solved.

1. change PIS to 4.477
    2. change transmission oil to Fuchs sintopoid 75w 90 LSD
    3. drive around 1 week after small noise

after 1 week, strange noise disappeared almost completely (very little noise), and now shifting with no problem.

one problem is that LSD seems a bit noisy chattering when driving very slow.

so changing transmission oil can be the key of shifting noise.
    maybe according to other thread, "too slippery" can cause problem when shifting, and making sound.

Hope this information can be helpful.

brookliner7 likes this.
  22. FLY360

FLY360 Rookie

Aug 4, 2015
    FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Orndoff
    My car was having a problem mostly with 3rd gear. Turns out the F1 pump was in bad shape. After a new pump and accumulator it seems the problem is solved.