360 AC Fuse Blowing? | FerrariChat

360 AC Fuse Blowing?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pbonaguro, Aug 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pbonaguro

pbonaguro Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    Tried to search around the forums and couldn't find any advice directly related. My 1999 360 Modena AC has been working fine all summer and just stopped working today. The 7.5A fuse behind the driver seat was blown and when replaced just blows again. The only thing I might still be able to do on my own is replace the AC relay which is also behind the driver seat. Any other thoughts?

2. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    How's the compressor?
    Is it seizing and pulling too much juice?
    While keeping the fuse removed I would pay close attention while putting 12v directly to the compressor ONLY to establish if the clutch is frozen or sticking.
    But that's me. I cannot advise you to do that.

3. pbonaguro

pbonaguro Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    Thanks for the reply.. every little bit helps. You bring up a good point that if the compressor is frozen for some reason, might draw more juice. I'm a decent mechanic working on my own cars, race cars, etc., but gonna tip toe into this one. I'm looking for a quick fix.. wishful thinking I know. Have ordered a new relay which is a cheap attempt at something simple.

4. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    I have had several of the compressor clutch coils go bad. Common problem. Joe at Polar Bear a/c in Florida can fix you up. www.polarbearinc.com/

Zcobra1 likes this.
  5. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    If the compressor is seized it won’t draw more amps as it is belt driven and not electrically driven,,
    if the clutch coil has shorted out to ground,then that will blow a fuse..
    When you replaced the fuse,did the fuse blow whilst the car was running or did it blow with the key turned,dash lights on but engine not running?

6. pbonaguro

pbonaguro Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    Thank you all for the info. I also received a diagnosis tip/reply to my email from Aldous Voice. Fuse doesn't blow with the car running and the AC stop button pressed in/engaged. As soon as you turn off the Stop button the fuse blows. So it would seem the problem is definitely at the compressor end. So I'm just going to remove compressor and have it rebuilt. Thanks again for your responses

7. pbonaguro

pbonaguro Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    Did a little more work/test this evening. Without the car running and with a remote 12 volt battery, I tested the AC clutch and it worked.

Then instead of the 7.5amp fuse, I put in a 15 amp fuse for about 15 seconds and the compressor engaged, ran and didn't blow a fuse.

So any definitive thoughts on why the compressor is drawing more than 7.5amp standard fuse size will be appreciated. I'm assuming the answer is that I need a new clutch?

Thank you.

8. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    As posted above....if you do a rebuild, Polar Bear Inc., in FL. has a deal going on completely rebuilt one for $390, they also have the dryer and another part you need for about $90, so all in for $480 plus your core and shipping costs. They sometimes have a couple on hand so exchange is quick. I have NOT used them, but have heard good things about them.

Handy if no local rebuilders around....

9. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    what did this turn out to be in the end? I am having the same issue - but - my 15A fuse blows too -