GTC4Lusso V12 Oil Temperature LOW? | FerrariChat

GTC4Lusso V12 Oil Temperature LOW?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Cnoordz, Aug 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    Hi all,

Just wanted to share my recent experience with the Lusso on the Autobahn where I find myself quite regularly.
    On a nightly blast with very little traffic I was able to make some serious pace, at one moment able to sustain above 250kph continously. As an avid Vmax fan of course I was keen on going flat-out at one point, only to be rather stunned that I hardly got to 325kph on the dash. Also, I had to stay in 6th as in 7th gear the speed rather dramatically dropped below 300kph feeling a lack of power. Comparing with some YT vids online that does not seem to be normal. It should hit at least 340kph on the dash in 7th (which comes down to the claimed gps top speed of about 335kph).

There were no warnings whatsoever but checking the operating temps I found coolant to be around 80°C and oil in the low 70's which seems very low to me. On the next 100km I stayed above 200kph mainly but still seeing oil temp never exceeding about 76°C, hence my feeling obviously something must be wrong and this being probably connected to my feeling of lack of top range power.

I know it is perhaps a long stretch but are there any other European/German drivers here able to check the temp of their car at higher prolonged speeds? I dropped it off at the dealer in Switzerland where of course a rather funny discussion started (so you are saying it doesn't go above 125kph? "No sir, not above 325kph")

I'm currently on travel in Canada waiting for news as I'll be back this weekend hoping for the problem to be fixed. Of course, will share any developments.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Could be bad petrol.

PS: You actually told a Swiss about doing 325? Didn't he try to call the Air Force (the French or the Italian - Swiss airmen do not work the night shift!!!), or something?

3. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    Took in Aral 102 Octane in Adenau near the N-Ring and after that 100 Octane Shell Vpower somewhere along the A5.
    I don't think that could be the culprit!

And of course in Switzerland I am a perfectly law-abiding citizen! In Germany as well I mainly stick to the speedlimits wherever it is limited. It's all about respect!

4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It can't be the petrol then, these two are two of the best.

Regarding the Swiss chap, I was merely building on your story. That bloke must have been gobsmacked, when you told him 325. He probably doesn't know that aeroplanes are allowed 325 in Switzerland... :D

PS: Having driven all around Europe, Switzerland is the slowest place.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't have my GTC4 yet but my experience with several other Ferraris is this doesn't seem out of range. Running at that speed will provide a solid amount of air cooling. Next time you do that, observe the temps as you slow down and if you come to a stop. I can drive my cars really hard and the temps won't really go too high as long as I am driving, but if I have to stop, they can move high quite quickly.

6. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    Thanks for your comment Caeruleus11

It seems you are absolutely right - I have now checked with 3 independent official sources and they all claim it is perfectly normal for oil temperature to go relatively far down when driving high speed continuously (hence without having to slow down and accelerate all the way again).
    I was on the autobahn again today and saw anything between 80°C (fast cruising but with plenty of traffic) and 96°C in a traffic jam with outside temperature reaching 30°C.
    I do still think that 70-75°C is a bit on the low side, but it seems this is perfectly acceptable. Anyway - better a bit too low than way to high I guess!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I guess now you know, officially: you have a really "cool" car! :)

Cnoordz likes this.
  8. MrFloppi

MrFloppi Karting

Mar 15, 2014
    I don’t have a Lusso right now, but from several high speed journeys on the Autobahn with a F12 Berlinetta the temperature behaves exactly the same way: high speed runs low water and oil temperature, traffic jam and city cruising oil and water temperature immediately goes up.

The thing what should be checked is the unexplainable lack of top speed at the Lusso. Should reach 335 kph on GPS and not 325 on the speedo.

Is the car well broken in (several thousand km on the odometer)?
    My F12 reaches 350 kph on the speedo relatively quick in 7th gear.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

9. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Same thing happens with my Lusso regarding the temperature. It is indeed much cooler at speed than in traffic. Usually in the low 70's at speed. Not sure about the top speed, I managed 311kph on the autobahn a couple of days ago and the car was definitely still pushing (I was in 6th) but I had to brake because of traffic.

10. padebus

padebus Karting

Mar 22, 2014
    Same here with my Lusso and 458. Autobahn low temperature, city higher. The real question for me is, do you reach the max. speed in the 6th or 7th gear or is the 7th gear for cruising only. All the best. PAD

11. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C

To be fair I only had one topspeed run so far (A5 from Karlsruhe southbound). I don't recall it being a slight gradient, but maybe strong headwind may have ruined it a bit. Also had a passenger and quite a bit of luggage on board.

Yes, the car is broken in with currently 8k kms on the clock. I will for sure have another go soon and report back.

Regarding the F12, don't forget it is up by about 30hp and close to 500kg lighter!

12. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    That is what I am wondering about too, though there are 2 youtube vids online of a Lusso still pulling in 7th gear. The only thing I am wondering about is whether it is downhill or not which an make quite a difference!

13. MrFloppi

MrFloppi Karting

Mar 15, 2014
    If you have tried once, I would definitely try again and check if the car is going to pull strong on 7th gear. Today I drove the same Autobahn and I think there are no extreme gradients but on this route there is much traffic during daytime so I managed safe travel speed up to 310 on which I change gear from 6 to 7th.

To recommend another route is A81 Singen - Stuttgart or vice versa. And around Frankfurt I often did 350 kph runs.

Drive safe and have fun!

14. ACK

ACK Rookie

Aug 7, 2018
    Prague
    Full Name:
    Anco
    That's my car. The road is mostly flat but goes very little downhill from 330km/h till 344km/h and uphill when reaching 344km/h and shifting to 7th gear. In the 7th gear the car did not accelerate anymore driving uphill. The 7th gear feels like an overdrive and the car accelerates in 7th gear but you really need ideal circumstances to reach speeds above 330km/h in 7th gear. To reach the top speed as fast as possible you better stay in 6th gear.

15. padebus

padebus Karting

Mar 22, 2014
    Thank you, that is what I wanted to be confirmed. Good to know.
    Drive safely.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

16. PJ72

PJ72 Karting

Jun 1, 2017
    A conversation like this could never take place in the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otakki likes this.