Ferrari pulled over for driving 137 mph | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari pulled over for driving 137 mph

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rocketman, Aug 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

New alpine a modern car with the attributes of old and benefits of a modern, so hopefully no fires.

I do hear that even though mid engined it’s steers more like a rear engined car except it’s progressive and easy at the limit.

2. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Exactly.
    Nobody needs to go that fast on public roads for any reason. We are all probably guilty of it at some time or another but it doesn't make it right. Take it to the track and go wild.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  3. Thehawaiiangecko

Nov 22, 2017
    Why so slow? If you're going to get nail you might al well push your car all the way. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-J727T using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Time to get a Pilot's license. You actually have to earn it (unlike a driver's license). However, unless you can break the speed of sound barrier, no relative speed limits. You can go very very fast and direct. :)

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Didn’t you see the episode of either grand tour or top gear, I forget which, the new alpine was the one tested, burned to a crisp!

The French never could build a decent car!

6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And you're still against people not speeding?

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And no need for developing anything that is not used to its full potential EVERY time it is used - oh wait, that would be everything then wouldn't it?

8. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Speed limits are merely suggestions, imposed upon when a cop is present. Otherwise, I never ever give a damn what they are, and drive to what I feel comfortable at in any given circumstance. Anyone that thinks a speed limit indicates THE safe speed for a road is shortsighted in my opinion, they are set by boards of uninterested and mainly unqualified people and take into accoumt only the lowest common denominator of driving skill and mechanical performance of vehicles. Most of us here have a higher level of vehicle and most likely have a greater experience at safe driving at higher speeds than the average joe.... that’s not being big headed, it’s merely fact.

9. deshapiro

deshapiro Karting

Sep 25, 2015
    In general, how much faster than the prevailing traffic do you feel comfortable driving? I'm not being snarky. I'm genuinely interested in your, and other's comfort levels. This thread started with somebody driving 138 MPH and then somebody chimed in with close to 200 MPH, albeit on a motorcycle. My point wasn't about driving faster than the speed limit. It was that there is a point where your speed becomes dangerous to others on the same road who may not have your skill, reflexes or as capable a vehicle.

David

10. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Mine is that the number in question (whatever the number) is useless without context. 140 mph halfway between Houston and San Antonio, let alone west of San Antonio is safer than an idiot doing 45 or 50 though my neighborhood.

To answer your question, how fast I think is safe and reasonable is quite variable based on circumstances. If no one is around and visibility is good? Or?..

daveyator, italiafan and Jana like this.
  11. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    I kept racing. Life isn’t risk free. Frankly I thought racing was safer than half of what I see everyday on freeways.

137 is WAY below the potential of anything that’s current and semi fast to fast.

But yes if you are going to never exceed 75 mph a 400, 500, 600, or 700hp sports car is utterly useless and only worn as jewelry. An older slower one would actually be a lot more fun.

Thehawaiiangecko and daytona355 like this.
  12. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Have you ever used that argument in traffic court?

13. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Now that would lead to specifics for anyone that’s answers it, and the type of thing they could be put in trouble for. the answer to your question would be a very fluid one pertaining to conditions, weather, type of road etc

14. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    What is the point of your response? I must say it's so ad hominem. He is an orthopedic surgeon and speaks with expertise and authority based on his clinical experiences in trauma.

Driving that fast is indeed reckless. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

15. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    The first responders are always at risk when they respond to trauma on scene.

16. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Your response is absolutely disgusting to anyone who have lost their family member in car accidents due to speeding.

17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i will no longer admit to driving fast on public roads. (however, if you buy me a beer, i will tell all ;) )

but, one thing i noticed on the last driving course i was on, is that i was constantly passing people on the straight. i was on the power earlier, and full on the accelerator, whereas most of my classmates were hesitant and uncomfortable with the speed. my guess is that they have little prior experience with really hammering the loud pedal, or moving at higher speeds. so some of you might be happy with that.

Bas and daytona355 like this.
  18. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    This is a joke!!! I got hit with 880CHF fine and 2 years probation for being 16 kph over the limit last March !!!!

19. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Not 20k, fine would be correlated to your income....

20. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes, i know this all too well, based on my own fine of 10k that i received a few years ago....but i threw this out there to give folks an order of magnitude....

btw, if you are so unfortunate to get caught speeding in switzerland, keep in mind that it is correlated to your income AND your net worth. if you would like to claim that this doesnt apply to you because you dont live there, well, you will be living there for a while as a guest of the state at the graybar motel.

daytona355 likes this.
  21. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Disagree with latter. My father was nailed at insane speed here and is a US person. Therefore he was punished via Swiss consulate in Atlanta, GA. 13 months no driving in Switzerland and 1200chf fine as they can not claim against your wealth if you not swiss and don't "know" exactly what your total "fortune" is....above was June 2017

22. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Really? Why? Did I cause the accident they had? Was I involved in any way?

Don’t you dare try to suggest all speed kills, because that is the most stupid argument I would ever have heard.

No one here is suggesting driving carelessly or dangerously, and none would ever condone it. Driving st speed in full control is perfectly safe.

Accidents happen, It’s sad, but a fact of life. I was in Vegas getting shot at and carrying dead victims, I don’t call for guns to be banned just because of the event. Similarly, car crashes happen, you can’t ban the car, or restrict every driver just because it suits you

If you don’t like what I posted, put me on ignore, don’t be so rude, we are having polite conversations here before you turned up

AceMaster and Bas like this.
  23. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #48 iloveferrari, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    You should read what you wrote again. Telling you things you don't want to hear is not called rude. It's called facing slapping with reality. Your chance of causing car accident due to your mentality of not following speed limit is reasonably estimated by most laypersons to be much higher than others who respect and follow the traffic laws, that were designed to protect others.

Your logic in argument could also improve. No one is calling to ban car simply there are car accidents. Just because you did not cause the accident "they" had does not mean you won't. No one suggest all speed kill. We are talking about high speed here.

Plus you are indeed suggesting driving carelessly, because you "never ever give a damn what they are, and drive to what you feel comfortable at in any given circumstance." You probably don't know who are reading your posts. There are probably 18 or 19 years old, more than you want, reading your statement of mentality of not following speed limit and they are impressionable.

No one cares about what you believe in, but you need to be told that what you believe in about not following the speed can and will have most detrimental and irreversible effect in others life.

By the way, since you mentioned about carrying dead victims, I also like to let you and other people who like to drive fast carelessly like you know that when you have to deliver news of their children's death to the parents because of car accidents due to speeding or drunk driving, it is absolutely horrible - no matter how seasoned I think I am as a physician and how many times I have done it in the past. There was a reason why that orthopedic surgeon immediately jumped in. Also, if you truly believe in how right you are, I dare you to teach your children that when they first learn how to drive.

Again, just because you have a fast car does not mean you drive fast in PUBLIC ROAD. Be a man, drive however fast you like on track! Not on the street where others have no choice but sharing it with you.

This is my last response to you. Good luck driving on the street. Since your name is on display, just think about the consequence of a lawyer or officers from the other side reading these posts of yours when you cause an accident. Seriously, how old are you? and please don't answer that.

24. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    lucky guy.

daytona355 likes this.
  25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Some here will **** their pants if they ever drive on the road from Milan to Monaco...lol

daytona355, 375+ and Boomhauer like this.