Testing Ignition | FerrariChat

Testing Ignition

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Archer911, Aug 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Guys, can anyone tell me a way to test if a specific cylinder or the entire bank is firing?

I know I could hold a plug wire against the engine and see if it sparks but I seem to remember a way, using a timing light, that one can positively see if a cylinder/bank is getting voltage from the coil(s).

I have an 84 308GTS QV US.

Thanks very much.

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Archer,

You mean like this to test the wires:

Doesn’t eliminate/identify a bad plug.

Plenty similar of test with ignition connected and engine running. Obviously could require plug test, but narrows it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  4. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Don't ever remove a wire because it often results in overloading the coil.

You can put a timing light on each spark-plug wire, but like StuR said, it does not tell you if a plug is bad.

I use an oscilloscope. If you don;t have one, you can but a scope emulator for your PC. Tape a ~ 14-gage wire about 6" long to the center spark-plug wire in the distributor cap; this will be the scope input. You can run a similar wire off spark plug #1 to act as the scope trigger.

You'll get a blip for each ignition. No blip = no spark. Low blip can mean bad spark plug, weak wire, etc.

5. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    A friend with a 166s used to test for a dead cylinder by licking his finger and touching it to each exhaust header pipe as it exited the cylinder. A dead cylinder would leave a mark, live ones vaporize the saliva immediately. The Top Fuel dragster engine I worked on had EGT thermocouples on each header pipe, the output of which was logged to the onboard computer. Looking at the data I could immediately identify a dead cylinder.

Which gives me an idea: get one of those cheap laser thermometers at Harbor Freight and point it at each cylinder's header pipe, The temperature difference between live and dead cylinders should be immediately apparent..

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Great idea (I do it too) but you cannot access the front header of a 84 QV engine so no help there.

simple idea is to use a timing light, hook it up to the wire in question and pull the trigger. If there are flashes, at the right frequency, then there is spark.

thorn and Archer911 like this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    About $10 or less at any auto store. Just lie it on the ignition wire and it will flash if there is spark. Check one wire at a time or place on coil wire to see if the coil is firing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Qavion likes this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    FYI, the 308 ignition ecu is pretty simple. Here is the wiring to each pin. This is from my 85 QV. Would assume an 84 is similar.

10. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    StuR: Thanks for the link. I learned a few things.

11. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Very welcome. It’s all good motivation for me to get my restoration going again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archer911 likes this.
  12. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    308 Update:

Runs great. Drove it for nearly two hours today, through miserable stop and go traffic as well as at speed on the highway. Didn't miss a single beat.

Rewind 2 weeks ago: After installing the rebuilt FD and WUR it still didn't run right so I took it to Tony Ferrari of Autohaus Boston in Braintree, MA. Tony called me the next day and said the problem was a leaking seal on the distributor shaft. The oil collected in the cap would would splash around and interfere with the the electrical contacts causing the back bank to misfire. He said once he wiped out the oil and put the cap back on the car ran great.

Rewind almost 2 years: When I got the car back from a major service (NOT Tony) It left me stranded twice. I found that the reason was 2 cracked distributors and a leaking distributor shaft seal on the back bank. The coil wires had also been compromised and the extenders had holes. I changed both shaft seals, put on new distributors, wires, etc, and the car ran great...until this Spring when the misfires started (the leak had resulted in enough oil collecting in the cap).

In hindsight I should have opened up both caps and looked for oil. I was lazy and thought since there was no oil leaking from the caps there was no problem there. I was wrong and could have saved myself a lot of grief had I been more thorough. The good news is I found an honest, highly skilled Ferrari Master Tech.

While the car was at AutoHaus I asked Tony to replace all the suspension bushings and a few other items. I couldn't be happier with the work and would recommend Tony to any of you guys.

Thanks for the advice you all gave me on trying to fix my car. In the end I replaced many failed components in the engine compartment and updated many others. I learned more about my 308 than I ever thought possible. Necessity is a great motivator.

thorn likes this.