Unlimited numbers ? Why ? | FerrariChat

Unlimited numbers ? Why ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scraggy, Aug 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    As a 458SA owner and likely recipient of a 488PS allocation, am fascinated to know why this appears limited only by operational and build constraints. I know Ferrari and the dealers have found managing the lists and related VIP disappointment a total headache but it’s a proven business model. Patek do the same.

With the recent patent/IP application for a Targa do we think maybe a 488 Targa type vehicle with circa 500 units might follow. Seems uninspiring to finish with 488PS (the 488 itself not being a widely adored car - compared to say 355/458 and probably not even the best mid engined car in the market during its life ie 720), if anything a step back in marketing evolution.

Perhaps they will announce numbers shortly - but lack of Aperta name suggests is non LE.

Thoughts VMA.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Confirmed not numbered but also will be produced in smallish quantities to maintain exclisivity of sorts.

3. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Hmmm. You could try my solution. Buy the car and the stock. You'll make more money if they make more cars, or have a more exclusive car if they make fewer. Win/win.

Gh21631, uhn2000, Ash Patel and 2 others like this.
  4. Monsieur Yoge

Monsieur Yoge Karting

May 20, 2016
    Simple, because of $$$$. For better or worse, Ferrari post IPO have different objectives. However I do believe there will be another LE drop top variant of the 488 (Targa) before retiring it. I believe the same should happen with the 812, albeit an LE and then an ultra exclusive LE.

This of course, is purely speculation

5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Because they don't have long enough time to build many of them to even be a concern before the 488 is replaced.

6. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Then to maimtain even more exclusivity, why not do a limited numbered run of the 488 PS similar to the 458 SA, then even a smaller numbered run of the Targa (like the 599 SA Aperta) if if is produced.

7. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You guys have no idea how many they build. It's smoke and mirrors.

Gh21631 and Texas Forever like this.
  8. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    My take is that they will build many more variants at different price points off each platform.
    I think they have done pretty vigorous customer analysis and will seek to place customers in groups for certain types of car.
    Hopefully regular buyers should get more chance of buying the cars they want and the secondary market will not command enormous premiums if I am right.

9. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    There is a big marketing difference between “not many” as new (better) model on the way and “lucky you” as one of our best clienyou have 1/599 and so can forget the depreciation that will hit when better new v8 is launched aka 812/Tdf.

Why would they do that.

10. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    This cold be right. So far LE only in flagship V12 and mid engined so hardly prolific.

70th anniversary ca I guess also a change of direction. I didn’t even take mine I so disliked the spec. May prove dumb as was a 1/1.

11. 'Trust'

'Trust' Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2012
    Definitely a $$ decision. They, Ferrari Corporate (FNA included), don’t get a share in the inflated prices of the aftermarket flip (outside of dealer commissions). There is no upside for them in LE if non-flagship models that would outweigh production numbers. Porsche and Lamborghini have demonstrated that myth to be false consistently lately.

I think we’ll see less and less LE non-flagships and more of a “undefined limited production”, which could be said about any car quite honestly.

I love the “buy the car and stock” example. 100% deploying that.

12. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    You did not take delivery of your 70th Anni 488?

13. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Nope, it was a 488 Coupe also and I like V12 two seaters or cabrios.

14. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Not sure re buying the stock, talk about a business that is in to a headwind. None of the young people in my team care about or aspire to flash cars, quite the opposite, then all the usual stuff, automated, pollution, Ferrari goodwill in petrol and motor sport, anti social, limited scope for increased production, can barely think of a positive other than the rich getting richer.

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The 488 Pista is undeniably more special than the 488. Ferrari is not limiting production but there is less time for production so a smaller number of Pista will be sold compared to 488s. But certainly more than the 458 Speciale which was limited to 500.

As far as collectibility, if all other important parameters about desirably are comparable, a model made in fewer numbers is more collectible.

So in my mind, in terms of collectibility 458 Speciale > 488 Pista

But if people feel the Pista is more special than the Speciale, well that would bring an interesting dimension to the conversation

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I do not know where you got the information that the Speciale was limited to 500 - estimated production numbers are between 2500 and 3000.
    The Speciale Aperta was claimed to be limited to 499, although each car was not numbered so it's actually impossible to verify.
    Anyway, there is an order of magnitude difference between the production numbers of the Speciale and Speciale Aperta, which is reflected in the secondary market - a Speciale Aperta selling for about twice the price of a Speciale (whereas the initial list price difference was similar to the difference between Italia and Spider).

Bundy likes this.
  17. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Sorry about my misinformation about the Speciale production numbers.

If there were as many as 2500-3000 Speciale produced then the Pista production might be pretty close to the same!

As far as the Speciale Aperta compared to the Pista Aperta, it could also be a very close race.

In the end, If the actual numbers are very similar, which car will appreciate more over its slightly less track-focused sibling?

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes and no. The appreciation in these cars helps them sell the more standard production cars. So if they mess this up, it will have echoes all along their sales. I am sure they are keenly aware of this.

Ferrari is still very much a nice business. All it takes is a very small % of people who are passionate for them to have a lucrative business. I know many millennials and members of Gen Z who are really into cars. Certainly the things you mention are real issues, but I think it should be more worrying for more traditional sports cars. I think Ferrari stands apart and that will continue. In a way the increasing specialization might end up benefitting Ferrari even more.

Bundy likes this.
  19. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Not really.......
    Speciale Aperta is a Limited Edition whilst Pista Spider is not......my guess is that there will be 3x more Pista Spider's than SA's. The Limited Edition version of the 488 is still TBA.

BJK likes this.
  20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    they will produce the Pista Spider in as many units they can (as they will do with Pista coupè): the only limit is time, as sooner or later they will have to replace the 488 model. That will "limit" the production…

I think the only numbered production there will be in the Ferrari future (except some special paint units, as the Pilota) will be the hypercars with more than 1 M Usd as sticker price: they want money.

ciao

Gh21631 and ajr550 like this.
  21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    And I suspect (even though to me it does not make sense) that they will adjust the proportion of Pista / Pista Spider according to demand, which may lead to get a 50/50 spread similar to the 488 GTB / Spider.
    The goal is to maximise the money Ferrari will get, not the profit some customers may make on resale.

22. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If every car made in the last 20 years is a "special edition" then none are "special edition". They're all melting together. Look at all the new "special edition" Porsches that went across the auction block last weekend. You can put all the "special edition" Porshces and Ferraris in the same group. I think the manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank.

My 16 year old son and all his friends love my cars. They all have jeeps that they mod and fiddle with. Jeep's are "the gateway drug". Nobody is losing interest in cars. That's Commie nonsense.

Gh21631 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Real world statistics for gen z show this to be incorrect.
    Small samples will seem to show otherwise but the data doesn’t lie.

24. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    You only need small samples for continuity of low volume/high margin marques.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The data doesn't lie? That's a complete joke. I can make statistical data prove whatever I want. Take the polling data for the 2016 Presidential Election for example

I do believe we are at record valuations for collectible cars right now right?