Alam light stays on | FerrariChat

Alam light stays on

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dersark_painclinic, Aug 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Now days I don't drive my car very much and I have it on battery tender to keep the battery charged. Today after starting the car I noticed the red alarm light came on and stayed on. I waited to see if it will go away but not. I drove around with red light on. I also thought if I open the door while engine is running and the red ligh is solid red the alarm will go off but even that did not happened. I am not electrically oriented much. Any recommendations and help welcome.

2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You need to replace your alarm siren. The light is on to show you that the back-up battery inside the siren does not work like it should. There is a small charger for that battery inside the siren unit. But the battery tend to leak acid onto the green print plate, so the charger does not work properly. I would get a new original siren so you still have the original beep sound when you arm/disarm and when the alarm goes off. Cost about 2-300 dollars.

3. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Thanks for advise, there is a Corvette alarm which suppose to work well except the sound of beep for much less money , I do not care for the quality of sound , thank you again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You can cut open the oem siren and replace the battery if the old battery did not leak acid that eats the circuit board.

Personally, I let the light be red. The imobilo and flashing lights still work. The siren will just not work as designed. In my car I hate the siren so I have mine disconnected.

F456M and tres55 like this.
  5. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Just to be clear, the Corvette alarm on the Maranello chirps when you arm and disarm and the lights flash. However if the alarm has been set off, there is no siren noise, just the lights will flash.
    On a Corvette the same alarm when set off does sound. Have not yet read why it doesn’t work the same on a Ferrari.
    It does kill the dash light.
    Bill
    FL

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Interesting Bill. There is supposed to be a vette siren that is plug and play or change the connector and play??? It is supposed to be from a 97-04' vette? AKA...seriesC5. I race the Z06 version of the C5 but mine never had an alarm. I think they wanted the Z06 to be as light as possible hence the lame interior and flimsy seats but the Z06 with carbon fiber hood was around 3100lbs. Pretty darn good for its day.

7. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    FBB, the Corvette alarm I'm familiar with is from the C6. Installed one in the 575 in either 2011 or '12 and still functions normally with exception notated above. It was plug and play. Priced currently online at $71.51. Believe the current GM part number of 15213135 might be a superseded part number to the one I installed.
    Current part number shows to fit 2005-13 Vette, and 2010 to 2015 Cadillac CTS. Did a brief search for a C5 alarm and did not find a current listing.
    Have had a C6Z since 2006 and still love the car. They started at a listed weight of 3132 and gained weight every year after that. Some owners complained they wanted more luxuries and they eventually got them.
    Bill
    FL

8. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    FBB, I will open the box to see what kind of rechargeable battery it takes, Fry's electronics may have it.
    Thanks

9. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Well, I cut through and split in two, it looks as good as I can tell inside the unit, both battries appears in good shape.
    I checked the voltage of each battery and both are 4 volt which is fully charged. Any other possibility besides these battries.
    The battries are avilable through the same company but I hate to distract the electronic board with two healthy battery in place. Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  10. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Just replaced my dead siren with a Corvette siren GM part number 15213135 ($86 delivered). No need to modify the connection. It beeped once immediately after connection even with the main battery switch turned off. It beeps 4 times when armed and twice when disarmed. It also beeped continuously when alarm is triggered while armed. More importantly, no more constant red light after ignition. Seems like it works exactly like the original siren. While the headlight was out, I replaced the headlight rubber gasket.

New GM Siren

Original dead siren

While taking out the headlight, I damaged one of the little rubber U tubes connected to the right light housing. I could probably just glue it, but prefer to install a new one if available. Can't find it on Recambi Table 127. Any idea where I can find one of those?

11. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Root good to hear that everything works with the Chevy alarm. Have heard over the years that different cars can have different results. I wonder in this case if it's a difference in the 550 vs 575... or just different results showing up randomly?

Re the headlight vent hose. I'd be shocked if Ferrari sold that separately. Think you'd be better off contacting a Ferrari recycler and pleading with them to take one off a damaged headlight assembly. Suspect that piece is likely used on all types of Fcars. You may need to send a picture with that part highlighted. Ferrparts is where I'd start but there are several.
    Bill
    FL

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The alarm is wired around the battery cut-out switch, which is why you get noise even with the switch turned off.

13. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Well, I glued back on and started working well as it should. Now I have a big scar on siron, but it is okay.

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Atrophic or hypertrophic?

15. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Hypertrophic, I used a glue gun and did not come out right, thinking of splitting again an use liquid epoxy glue.

16. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Riad, I replaced one of my rear light caps once and still have the rubber tube, send me your mailing address.
    Sark

root likes this.
  17. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Good fix!

18. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks Sark. Pm sent.

19. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Epoxy Structural Adhesive, J-B Weld 8265-S, 2 oz. Tube

20. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Just picked up a GM Siren, let see if she works....
    As I presently have the red light staring at me during my drive, although the alarm itself functions quite well.
    Thanks for all the assistance guys

21. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    I probably bought the wrong one, but the GM alarm I ordered for my 550 has a different harness connector arrangement.
    ~Troyce

22. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Ron, Troyce. Would you post the GM part number you purchased.
    Thanks Dave, that is the one.

23. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    [QUOTE="Troyce. Would you post the GM part number you purchased.[/QUOTE]

I don't have that number at hand because it was so long ago when I got it, and now the part is installed - just not connected. I will try to find it.

However - check this: https://www.amazon.com/VARTA-REPLACEMENT-BATTERY-55615303059-150MAH/dp/B078JFVLPN
    Check the image of my battery siren circuit board herein. The noted replacement from Amazon has a different solder-pin config, but that doesn't appear to be an issue as the batteries have a large +/- surface plane on either side. Some de-soldering/re-soldering involved, obviously.

24. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Troyce the number that I used and Root posted that he had used plugged in just fine. GM 15213135. If that’s the number you ordered you might check your alarm with Root’s pic above of the GM alarm and see if numbers match.
    Ironically my GM alarm is timing out and in need of replacement just in the last few days.
    Also if I remember correctly it seems somewhere on these GM alarms there is a born on date. It might be worth noting before installation.
    Bill
    FL

25. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave