Battery tender | FerrariChat

Battery tender

Discussion in '348/355' started by chrisj951, Aug 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    Quick question. When using the battery tender on a 355, should the battery switch be on or off? Or does it not matter?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Leave the battery switch on as much as possible when using a tender. Mattering or not is dependent on how the tender is wired. It should be wired directly to the batter bypassing the switch.

chrisj951 likes this.
  3. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    My battery tender (aka conditioner) is a Porsche branded one that goes into cigar lighter socket. Battery switch is always on.

chrisj951 likes this.
  4. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    Mine is wired in directly to the battery and just sits in the front area. Thanks for the answers.

5. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    i have my ctek wire bolted directly to battery. one of the first things i had done when got car.

the clip rests in the battery switch compartment. i never switch the battery off.

one of my biggest annoyances is when i see 355 engine bay pics and see the whole tender block velcroed to the lateral panels wired directly into the battery terminal. drives me nuts.

6. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    i heard/read charging via the lighter socket is not an ideal option. maybe it works fine but i read it someonewhere so never attempted charging from there.

7. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    I use a battery Tender that's bolted directly to the battery. It has a quick-release end on it that tucks away when I'm not using it.

8. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    It has been fine for me for 8 years.

It is the method the dealer was/is using on all his 355's (The Ferrari Centre, Kent, UK) but think other models won't take it (360 / 430 ?).

Battery keeps perfect 100% monitored charge. As soon as i unlock the car it senses the < 1% change and switches on immediately.

I can post a picture of the unit if anyone wants to look into it on Google ?

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Leave the battery switch NO to retain OBD II Monitor readiness on a 5.2 or to retain ECU learnt parameters on a 2.7 car.

10. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    On my '94 348 spider, I have what appears to be a factory installed battery tender unit. My question is did a tender come as a factory supplied option? I have never used it. When my spider is put away for the off season I use the factory disconnect switch connected directly to the battery. I have never experienced any issues with memory loss after the battery has been disconnected .

just askin'

tr0768