Cons of resale of Ferrari with accident on CarFax | FerrariChat

Cons of resale of Ferrari with accident on CarFax

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F_NERO, Aug 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F_NERO

F_NERO Rookie

Aug 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kevin Yates
    Ferrari buying and selling gurus, how bad will A 21 year old Ferrari with an accident 17 years ago that CarFax lists as "Accident reported with another motor vehicle" hurt future resale?

The car looks flawless with no signs of repair and multiple owners since the accident.

Thanks in advance

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If you're flippin' then, yeah, it might hurt.

3. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If you "pay" for the accident when you buy it depreciation should be consistent with any other similar car....if you buy it to drive it and enjoy don't worry about it.....

Texas Forever and F_NERO like this.
  4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Documentation and photographs relating to the mishap are critical to assessing diminished value both now (when you buy) and in the future (when you sell).

F_NERO likes this.
  5. F_NERO

F_NERO Rookie

Aug 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kevin Yates
    Not a flip, but more than likely part with the car in 2 years.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Too many variables, and everything is a guess without knowing the specifics on the car you're referring to. However, based on what you've given, I'd say that the car will depreciate further during the next twos years. Like most cars do. Unless, of course, it's a F50.

7. F_NERO

F_NERO Rookie

Aug 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kevin Yates
    I am not trying to be intentionally vague. I am just trying to see how minor accident history affect resale (assuming a private sale in the future). I understand the car will depreciate as it should with time, but just wondering if it is a big deal breaker which will ultimately drive the price / value down or will it be understandable as long as the car checks out structurally and visually.

Thanks

8. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I think the accident will affect the resale value - and the extended time needed to sell the car. Buyers have many choices amongst cars for sale that have NO accident histories. Unless the car is a bargain or something that is a limited edition (a car hat I have to have), buyers will just move on.

Ira Schwartz and F_NERO like this.
  9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

For starters, what kind of accident do you consider minor ? What and where was the damage ? What model Ferrari are you speaking of ? Miles ?

10. F_NERO

F_NERO Rookie

Aug 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kevin Yates
    Unfortunately I am multiple owners down the line of this vehicle and do not have a clear answer to what the damage was 17 years ago. This one in particular is an F355 Berlinetta 6 speed.

11. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    No collector is going to buy it, so its a driver. Nothing wrong with that. Be conservative and consider the value to be 20% less than a non accident car.

Me personally ? I only buy drivers so as long as the PPI checks out I wouldnt care if it were in an accident as long as the price is discounted for it

Texas Forever, RonH and F_NERO like this.
  12. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I will state the obvious that a clean record is better than the one you are asking about. An accident, no matter how big or small, will always haunt the vehicle.

13. F_NERO

F_NERO Rookie

Aug 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kevin Yates
    This one would be a driver for sure.

Is the price discounted appropriately?
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/355-Berlinetta-/332754318760

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yup. my 430 is recorded as having had a fire. well technically that was true....early in its life, a mechanic took it out for a test after a service and left the handbrake on, which ignited the right rear pads, and melted the plastic wheel well liner. i have it all documented and even spoke to the fireman who was on the scene and wrote the report, and got him to explain what happened. makes no difference, the event is listed in carfax, so all the wanna be ferrari expert collectors refrain from buying it.

so, it is a driver and i will drive it, along with my other cars, until i die.
    however, if this is my fate, then things arent so bad are they !

Jaguar36, VColin and F_NERO like this.
  15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I preface this with, I am far from an expert. Ive owned a 355 and Id like to get another sometime. But I dont follow the market closely.

Having said that, I feel its a tad on the high side. But honestly not so much Id be turned off by it.

But Id want to make sure I could have a mechanic check it out.

F_NERO likes this.
  16. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I don't really know what the current market is for 355 - but at almost $70K for a 1997 Berlinetta you may want to take a look on the website sfmotorsports.com (they have three F355 spiders that are reasonably priced - although I don't know their histories). I don't work for them but they are reputable and located in the San Francisco Bay area. Matt Mauer is the general sales manager and he should be able to help you out.

F_NERO likes this.
  17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Look. Bodyshops soak insurance companies. When a ferrari rolls in, they will inflate the damages 2 to 3 times the actual amount it costs to fix. If you see a 30k claim, you can bet your butt is was a 5k repair. Body shop pays the adjuster, tow truck, and In some cases the owner a cut of the insurance payout. The shop enjoys a 10k profit, the owner walks with 5k in his pocket, and the car is fixed.

It's all a big game. Heck a 20k bill on a murcialago is a headlight and and paint work.

peteficarra likes this.
  18. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Exactly! Get a 20% discount and plan on driving it until it drops. If either you cannot get the discount or you don’t plan on keeping it then move on and get something accident free (there are plenty of those fish in the sea).

anunakki and F_NERO like this.
  19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

20. F_NERO

F_NERO Rookie

Aug 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kevin Yates
  21. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    You might want to check with your insurance carrier to see if they will insure it. Since the advent of Car Fax insurance companies have been checking accident history and if there is previous history either they place a higher premium or they will not insure. This all depends on the underwriter and his mood of the day. We are also finding banks doing a previous history on exotics and have turned down financing.

just sayin'

brasscarguy