The Biturbo Spyder Zagato | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Biturbo Spyder Zagato

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Albert-LP, Apr 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Fuel injection was a huge help but unfortunately in America because it was Marelli and not Bosch (which was 99% of the euro market), very few mechanics had the proper equipment to diagnose problems and the dealers had already closed. At the time the only other car that used Marelli Fi in America was the Lamborghini Diablo. Bosch was cheap and easy to get parts for.

The Zagato spider with Fuel injection and Manual gearbox was my favorite of the entire series. Almost all of the spiders came to America with auto gearboxes (a huge mistake by the importer Qvale). The auto gearbox shifted way too early to get the Turbos to really kick in. With a manual you could drive it really hard. Such a fun car....

F456M likes this.
  2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The Ferrari F40 used the same dual Marelli ECUs as the Maserati Ghibli II, Shamal V8 and QPIV V6.

3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You prove my point. Extremely rare with no diagnosis tools and expensive parts.

When these last edition Biturbo fi Zagatos came out the dealers were closing as fast as you could count them.

And as I said, Bosch owned 99% of the European Fi market. It was a good system but with no support in the USA.

4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well there was never a good service network for Biturbos here. Even less so to day and the dual ECU models I speak of never came here except through special importing like my car. But tuners who now service F40s here can utilize the same equipment to service the later dual ECU Maserati Biturbo here. All six of them LOL :D. At the time Ferrari utilized those Marelli ECUs and later Maserati no Bosch nor single ECU was capable of managing a V8 with twin Turbos and direct injection. That's why they utilized two as two 4 cylinder motors. Maserati simply followed Ferrari's path albeit several years later with the Shamal and then adapted it for the V6 motors all the way to 1999.

5. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Terry...

Hope all is well.. It's been a while since you were here in TN on your way home.. Hope the car is doing great as well...

Mike

6. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    F456M likes this.
  7. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    F456M likes this.
  8. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
  9. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Hahaha, you betcha!! :D

10. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I have been curious about this. I heard that just a few hundred FI spyders were imported, and that many were autos in the US market. Does anyone here know the production numbers? I wonder how rare the 5 speed is in the US (although technically mine is a Canadian ex-pat, like me).

F456M likes this.
  11. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Hi Mike! Great to hear from you. Mark and I really enjoyed visiting with you in TN. It made the trip home much more fun. We really appreciated your hospitality! We made it to Cincinnati for dinner and then home in the wee hours. I tried to send you an email to let you know we made it (too late for texting) but we were migrating our email system so I don't know it ever made it to you. Anyway, it was a smooth trip home and the car performed flawlessly. Its been a lot of fun and gets a lot of love from everyone, especially my kids. My teenage daughter doesn't mind it when I drop her off at school anymore!

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Actually the crummy 3spd automatic was just for 86. There were no automatics in 87, no 88 cars at all. Then in 89-90 and a few called 91 for all the models 430, 228 and spider the automatic was a new much better 4spd. Those were decent and I'd have no problem owning one of them but mostly they came as a 5spd.

F456M likes this.
  13. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    86 Spyders were 2.5 Carb 3 speed automatics, 87 Spyders were 2.5 FI stick, 88 not imported, 89 Spyders were 2.8 FI mostly stick, 90 Spyders were 2.8 FI 4 speed automatic, 91 Spyders were 2.8 FI 4 speed automatic (less than 20 imported)

14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Bob: just sent you a PM

Ivan

15. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I was once told it was around 220-222 back around 1996. I think the source was MIE, but not sure.

for those looking for rare Italian cars, the 89 spyder should be worth more than they are based on comparisons to other rare Italian cars.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I have no real data. MIE might know. But I believe I heard something like 150 manuals were brought to the states -- and they were the later ones. Qvale insisted they be auto boxes. By the time the word got back from the dealers this was a mistake, it was too late.

Best thing about the Fi was smog testing. The carbed versions are a PITA.

17. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Look to the GranSport Spyders, 473 total production.

18. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Interesting. For some reason I thought the autos outnumbers the 5-speeds in the 2.8L cars. Maybe it's because those are the ones I see for sale most often. They're also the ones most often neglected. It wasn't easy finding well-cared for 5-speed 2.8L Spyder.

19. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Agreed. Both are great cars and a lot of bang for the buck.

20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I am looking for a nice fuel injected 5-speed spyder. Must be in the USA or Canada.

Ivan

21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    TBigs, 67bmer, Rags747 and 8 others like this.
  23. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Very nice! Congratulations!!!

Albert-LP likes this.
  24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The car have all kinds of modifications including a small cage inside. Not visible from the outside.

25. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My USA model Spyder 2,5 injection version. One of only 122 cars like this... Bought cheap in Maine and transported to Oslo. Undergoing work to become roadworthy. Probably seen alot of sun in America. As you can see the window switch is faded from the sun. I just swapped it with the one for the seats (which is out of sight anyways) and then I had a like new switch :) Dark Aquamarine Blue metallic and beige interior. Thrange thing is, that this car had cloth interior in the sitting surfaces, and leather on the rest also on the back side of the seats! So I sourced two good used seats in full leather in Germany and put then in. Looks so much better!

Cheers from Oslo
    Erik
    View attachment 3489716 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rags747, MrMark, 3500 GT and 3 others like this.