New Aston Martin Vantage being revealed in three weeks | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New Aston Martin Vantage being revealed in three weeks

Discussion in 'British' started by Robb, Oct 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Too funky looking for an AM. And where are the front grill strakes?! The front end looks like there are pieces missing. It looks unfinished.

jehu999 and jimmyb like this.
  2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I like it although front will take getting used to. Remember when audi came out with extended grill about 12 yrs ago? Used to think it looked like hitlers mustache. No big deal anymore now that its been copied by every car on planet. This aston will be same.

whats competition in $200k and under range? 911tt, amg sl, new bmw m6, vette zr1? Portofino too expensive and mid engine macs, audi, nsx dont compete either. I take aston.

3. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    yeah me too, I would take this car all day long over the competition (911t, sl, etc), car also looks a lot better in the flesh and in other colors,

4. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Like with most new cars at first, I didn't like it at all. Its grown on me though. I think it looks pretty good. Even in silver, which I'm normally not a fan of.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    amg merc in drag for the same price as the amg.

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Looks much better than amg despite being in drag ;)

Rickenbach and Finlander like this.
  7. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I had a test drive in one today with an Aston rep in the passenger seat.

Impressions:
    - quite quick but not oh my gosh fast. Fast enough for the street for me.
    - ZF 8-speed auto box is great, although the initial torque load is higher than I'd prefer (take foot off brake pedal, car moves more quickly than anticipated). I'm sure you'd get used to that.
    - sound is a personal thing. Has that AMG "sledgehammer" note to my ear. Quite loud even when in quietest setting.
    - dynamics hard to assess but felt responsive, and exhibited little body roll. Matt Becker did the chassis tuning so ought to be good.
    - feels stiff, lacking obvious chassis flex
    - interior equipment is Mercedes. Leather is gorgeous.
    - I think it would look good in a dark color (dark blue, perhaps black) so the "shovel" mouth lines blend in.
    - looks bigger than the car it replaces. AM rep said it was wider.
    - quite heavy (3500-3600 curb) but carries it's weight well.
    - not as pretty as the car it replaces.

Philip

Jo Sta7 and Robb like this.
  8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    personally, i like it.
    looks like the db10, and in the right colors the questionable parts blend away.
    very potent and good looking and at the right price.

Robb likes this.
  9. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Although the front looks a bit unfinished,
    I like the car.

10. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yeah, but the lack of any kind of grill ruins it.

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I just took a test drive in the new demo our dealer received.
    • It has the 360-degree camera system, and the Mercedes Benz nav system. I really, really love that and you'll never scrape the car while parking.
    • I've sat in but haven't driven an AMG GT s but the center controls are easily recognizable/reminscent of the GTS. Overall it's easy to figure out, a little more intuitive than the Portofino. I was able to jump in, and within a few seconds start up, reverse, get back in drive and get out on the road.
    • The seats are very plush and comfortable. Puffier than Ferrari and Porsche.
    • cabinets cozy and the windows seem very short but overall with the mirrors and windows visibility is okay.
    • I like the squared off steering wheel, great grips, but I didn't fiddle with the seat enough to get it at a perfect height where the top of the wheel didn't block part of the cluster... In order to see the gauges I had to move the wheel up about a half inch higher than I would normally want it.
    • I'm still not sold on digital tachometers but this one looks nice and has a clean layout with a prominent center circle
    • The paddles are nice and big, easy to use.
    • The engine has that thumpy AMG sound, but they let a lot more exhaust burble into the car. I was pleasantly surprised how loud it was. Coasting into second I got a little bit of snap crackle and pop out of the exhaust.
    • the steering has weight to it, but overall the car is very tight and maneuverable. I think it's a compliment that it "feels how it looks." Someone here mentioned that the AMG GTS feels like riding on a pile of logs, this feels dynamic and it's inevitably going to be compared to the 911.
    • I got on the freeway and I was able to take a service road and get from 2nd to 3rd to 4th a few times. the shifts are imperceptibly smooth, the engine is torquey and it was easy to put it right where I wanted it as far as shifting and delivery. I didn't feel like the computer was trying to second-guess me. Some cars feel like a stubborn horse: you click and it doesn't shift immediately, it goes into auto mode, downshift when you don't want to, etc. I had this in Sport Plus mode and it was obedient.
    • I was really impressed with it overall. Compared to the mid 00s Vantages this is like a 360 to 458 evolution. Maybe even 355 to 458 (certainly in terms of power, it is that big of a leap).
    I'll admit that lately I've driven a bunch of cars and I get out of them and I have no feeling that I have to buy one. If it was priced like the old Vantage V8 (110-120) I'd probably have a portfolio in my hand right now trying to pick out colors to place my order. If it was priced like a 911 S, I'd say they couldn't make enough of these to keep up. But this is basically Turbo or GT3 money.

At $175k it is more daunting, especially considering Aston Martin depreciation... There's an unsold '17 Vanquish here for almost a hundred off sticker! DB11s are holding better.

I'm eager to see if the manual comes out.

flat_plane_eddie and 02360spider like this.
  12. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    yeah i bought a leftover vanquish for over 130k off msrp. 350 miles on the clock , 34 months left on 3yr factory new car warranty. it is realy the best way to buy a AM. I had an 08 vantage a few years back. and realle missed the rarity and build quality of Aston Martin. so i dove back in at a good discount.

13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wow what a steal. Congrats on the Vanquish. Did you negotiate that deal?

14. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    Not really, that was the listed price, I thought it was a mistake but it wasn’t. I did have o haggle a little on the California I traded in. Still got more for it than the Ferrari dealer was offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    Boomhauer likes this.
  16. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    It's beautiful Sasso, congrats!

sasso1977 likes this.
  17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I was talking about this with friends over the weekend: compared to any previous Aston, this has by far the best electronics. Touch pad, fast and decent resolution screen, fairly easy buttons. And a regular FOB that can be in your pocket, no crystal key silliness.

For once they have current model year luxury German electronics versus Ford/Volvo parts bin from 2004. I've always loved the Vanquish but early ones had that Intellivision looking dash...

18. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Awesome in red! Still not 100% up with the grill, but it is better blacked out.

sasso1977 and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sadly the first AM I dont like

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I hate their bumper pads. Equally awful on the DB11. Hopefully they could be removed.

21. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    It needs metallic colors. I don't think the solid gray suits it at all.

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Friend of mine just bought one while he waits for his Portofino. I think it looks even worse in person (but I cant tell him that)

23. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  24. PBE624

PBE624 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2005
    De Panne Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    When the facelift version comes, hopefully they will have 'traditional grill' option like this one :)
    And please can someone ask AM to have the 'free' option to remove the lettering from the back so it does not look like a honda ;-)
    F Image Unavailable, Please Login

sasso1977 and G. Pepper like this.