Circuit de Spa Francorchamps | FerrariChat

Circuit de Spa Francorchamps

Discussion in 'F1' started by Giorgio Piola, Aug 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Familiar with him?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Yesterday at Spa I had the chance to catch up and spend some time with Jacky Ickx, one of the all-time greats. He was successful not only in F1 but also won 6 times the 24 hours of Lemans, won a Paris-Dakar and a Bathurst 1000. As Jacky is Belgian and was in his local circuit, the organizers had him test the mythical Ferrari 312B. Ickx drove it like the old days and it was a very emotional moment for everyone present at the Circuit. He had raced with this car on the 1970 F1 season achieving 3 wins and 5 podiums which got him second place in the driver’s championship behind Jochen Rindt.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Igor Ound, crinoid, kes7u and 21 others like this.
  2. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    We are very privileged to have the legendary Signor Piola amongst us. Please contribute more Sir!

Is that the Paolo Barilla 312B?

3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thank you Giorgio for sharing this wonderful occasion!

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    All those years Ickx looked years younger than his true age. Starting to show now.

william likes this.
  5. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Great pictures - thank you.

Car looks stunning in that amazing red hue.

I remember Ickx from the latter part of his career racing the Porsches in Group C and beating, among others, my favored Lancias.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, he turned 73 in January; can't stay young for ever, can we? He raced on the old Spa, even with a Matra Sport-Prototype in the 1974 event after having left Ferrari, and reputedly, but I can't find any solid reference on this, was involved in the design of the new track when the "old one", the great track, was shortened. Since this year's event, turn 11 of the track is now known officially called the "Jacky Ickx" corner.

https://franceracing.fr/f1/spa-francorchamps-reserve-une-surprise-a-jacky-ickx/

Rgds

NEP and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  7. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    A legend of motor racing. :)

jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  8. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    He was masterful in the wet as I remember.....

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Jacky Ickx was an eclectic driver of the old school: he could drive anything and enter different categories with success.
    From hillclimbing to touring cars, and then F2 and F1 to sports cars, then rallye-raid, he won everything.
    I wish modern F1 drivers could do the same, but most are tied up in contracts or have no interest.
    Jacky Ickx also has a pleasant personality and is a true gentleman.

NEP and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The Mulsanne Straight at night in the rain will do that to you.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..One of my fav drivers, even if he was before my time!..Always considered him as good as the other Jackie

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Their paths crossed at Tyrrell, but in later years, they couldn't stand each other.

You must know that Ferrari negotoated with the wee Scott, only to recruit his Belgian time mate at the last minute!

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    To his own admission, Jacky Ickx could be quite aloof, sometimes even snobbish, when he was young, to the extent that he makes a point to excuse himself rather often about that nowadays.
    It's a pity that his Formula One career, despite eight Grand Prix wins, dimmed slowly to oblivion before having fully blossomed; it never really recovered after the difficult 1973 season, when he was only 28 years old; when he joined Lotus, they weren't at their best anymore.
    But anyone who remembers his long charge from the back during the 1977 24h of Le Mans knew what a great driver he was...

Rgds

Jeronimo GTO and 375+ like this.
  14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Didn't they both drive F2 Matras for Ken during the 1967 season?

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think Jacky Ickx didn't focus enough on F1, as opposed to Jackie Stewart for example.
    Ickx was happy to divert to endurance during the season, and probably prefered sports cars to single-seaters.
    It may even have been the reason behind his departure from Ferrari when they gave up on Le Mans, etc ...
    Ickx became a factory driver for Porsche in endurance, and had a second career there.
    F1 wasn't a priority anymore by then.

16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    All around excellent driver!

NEP, jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    In many ways i compare him with Mario, they both exceled in various types of racing..Ickx won le mans, dakar, f.1, etc, mario was also one of the most versatile drivers, together they formed an amazing sports car team at Ferrari...

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think Ickx gave up on Ferrari in 1973 because the F1 car was so terrible, but the fact that they had announced withdrawing from sports car racing after the season may have influenced him as well.

How would Ickx have done in an F1 Ferrari in 1974? It's hard to say, but the reversal of form Ferrari saw in '74 was due in large part to the extensive testing done by new hire Niki Lauda.