Pista color quandry | FerrariChat

Pista color quandry

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Tylers, Aug 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tylers

Tylers Rookie

Jun 9, 2012
    N California
    Full Name:
    Tyler Schilling
    I am planning to do a red scheme with a triple layer or metalic red as the main color and a closely matching solid color for the stripes (I am not much of a stripes on the street guy so a ghost stripe is more my speed).

One of the reds I am considering is Rosso F1 2007 but I have not had the chance to see it in person.

Any thoughts on this color would be appreciated. Also if there is a car on the West coast of the US in this color, I would love to come see it.

Thanks in advance.

2. hs355

hs355 Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    I ordered Rosso f1 2007 for my pista, following a similar idea. I remember having seen the color on a real F1 car during a pit visit in spa Francorchamps 2007 or 2008 and I have a sample of this colour on my Acer Ferrari Notebook „One“ from that period.
    Pictures on internet don‘t do the colour justice, but anyway try a google search and you will see some cars, one of them a 599 GTB...
    Good luck and post some pictures once you logged in.
    Here is mine (hopefully coming late this year).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

stavura and of2worlds like this.
  3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Bundy likes this.
  4. Tylers

Tylers Rookie

Jun 9, 2012
    N California
    Full Name:
    Tyler Schilling
    Thanks so much for the reply. I have seen several shots on the web and I am a little worried about how orange they seem to be. Still hoping to see one in person.

5. Tylers

Tylers Rookie

Jun 9, 2012
    N California
    Full Name:
    Tyler Schilling
    Thank you for the reply. That does look very nice. What solid color do you think would pair well with Maranello for a ghost stripe effect?

6. Bendrover

Bendrover Karting

Dec 18, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    I had a 2009 Scud with F1 triple paint. It was very nice, but I would go with Rosso Maranello or Rosso Fuoco. Both are very nice.

7. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    I saw Rosso F1 2007 alongside Rosso Fuoco and Rosso Maranello at the factory. Personally F1 2007 looked like metallic red verging in orange in the highlights. Maranello is metallic maroon and quite dark. I preferred Rosso Fuoco which varied from a mid red to a bright red depending on the light.

I’ve attached a photo taken at the factory outside. On the left is F1 2007, then a car model sample of Rosso Maranello, then some tan samples and Rosso Fuoco on the right. Fuoco varies the most depending on the light and in this shot looks quite dark.

Attached Files:

Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I think the new stripe design is particularly effective so white would make for a good contrast color.
    For your ghost stripe idea perhaps another lighter shade of red or even go grey. It sort of depends on the color you choose for the interior to so everything works together. I have to say that the ghost stripe is something I have personally never seen on a Ferrari so it would be a unique choice. Though the 'stripe' is really part of the Pista experience and can be used to good effect.

9. Tylers

Tylers Rookie

Jun 9, 2012
    N California
    Full Name:
    Tyler Schilling
    That looks very nice. Thanks for sharing.

10. Tylers

Tylers Rookie

Jun 9, 2012
    N California
    Full Name:
    Tyler Schilling
    Thank you for the advice.

11. Tylers

Tylers Rookie

Jun 9, 2012
    N California
    Full Name:
    Tyler Schilling
    I like the idea of a lighter shade of red for the stripe.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. Tylers

Tylers Rookie

Jun 9, 2012
    N California
    Full Name:
    Tyler Schilling
    This is a very helpful comparison shot. Thank you.

13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #13 Lukeylikey, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Rosso Maranello is amazing in the sunlight and dark in the shade. I think it varies easily as much as Fuoco which has a lot of orange in it. I have had two RM cars including my Speciale which I Atelier ordered and am keeping. It is a stunning and very unique colour. Unique because it is a three layer mica. This means it does not have metallic flakes in the paint but tiny reflective spheres. The importance of this is that you get high reflected light but it gives fine ‘pinpoints’ rather than shards of light. In the sun this allows the car to look liquid, deep blood red with a tone not dissimilar to Rosso Corsa in bright sunlight (but obviously much more reflective). It is almost impossible to capture it on a camera (and I have some expensive ones!) I have enclosed two screengrabs of photos of my Speciale - the original files are too large for fchat upload but they give the idea. The picture of the flank gives an idea of the liquid-ness but in real life the effect is much stronger. The second picture allows a comparison for tone to the car next door, which is RC. It is taken in less sunlight but not shade. In the shade the car is much a darker and very different to RC. The pictures have absolutely zero editing or colour correction on them. Technically this does not make them totally accurate because you are depending on the white balance of the camera to get the right tone, but so many internet pictures are edited to give extra shine, I wanted a picture that was completely untouched to demonstrate the colour.

We spent a long time looking at colours in the factory. There is another red, Rosso Berlinetta, which was a launch colour for the F12. This is similar to RM but using a gold base rather than a silver base as with RM. That would provide an extremely subtle contrast stripe, though might be too subtle for my own taste. You might love it though.

There is no orange in RM or RB, which is why they were the final two we chose from. F1 2007 is a beautiful colour but a lot of orange, Fuoco has orange reflection in it, somehow this works different to F1 2007 and can look great but we just did not want any orange in the red we chose for that car. We get regular compliments on the colour and it is easy to see why.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Tylers

Tylers Rookie

Jun 9, 2012
    N California
    Full Name:
    Tyler Schilling
    Wow, that really does look great. Thank you for the detailed insight. I was not aware of the mica composition of this paint.

of2worlds likes this.
  15. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    stavura, nmcclure, Garretto and 5 others like this.
  16. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Looks awesome, Buddy! You might get addicted to triple layers after this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Dimitar

Dimitar Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston
    I thought Rosso Fuocco is a bit darker...

18. Heynowbababooey

Feb 17, 2018
    Stunning!

19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Beautiful! Congratulations!!

Bundy likes this.
  20. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Sigh... I wish my balls were as big as you guys! I stick to White or Red for the easy resale..... but love the colors your showing!

21. cjacks

cjacks Rookie

Jan 1, 2018
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    C Jackson
    So, what you're saying is that you're buying your cars for the next guy instead of for you... Don't you deserve to pick the car you want more than the next guy? You are the one paying for it...

22. Jelial

Jelial Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2017
    stavura, of2worlds, NürScud and 3 others like this.
  23. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Problem is Im in and out of them yearly - Ill wind up doing something more custom on the 812TDF or whatever the next supercar is

cjacks and of2worlds like this.